Forum Regular

What to pair with a Creek integrated?

Hey all, I just picked up a nice sounding Creek 4140 s2 Integrated Amp.

I was wondering what type of speakers would work best with this little guy. I have some Rotel seperates and a Marantz 2275 and lots of assorted mid-fi stuff and surround amps, but nothing like a Creek.

The options I have for the Creek are...

Canton Ergo 80
    Paradigm Mini Monitors
    Vandersteen 1b
    Canton CT2000 (big old 3-way 4ohm bad boys)
    Infinity Overture 1 (built in powered subs)

I listen to a pretty wide range of stuff. Lots of rock, punk and funk, but also Jazz and blues and bluegrass. I play 90% CDs.

What are the factors I should be considering?

I'd love to know what some superior audio minds think. It's a pretty cool little amp. I'd like to see if I can really find a fit. Should I be looking at smaller bookshelves or can it handle the bigger stuff?

Suspended
    My choice would be the Paradigm, with good sensitivity and your listen style they would match well. I'd personally scratch Vandersteen off the list, They are the apitomy of colored.

Nice integrated amp. I think you'll find a nice bass response and good detail. The power is pretty good for what it is rated but if you find yourself wanting more then next try the Infinity. The powered sub module might help.

Gab
    Forum Regular
    all i can say is i listened to creek destiny + harbeth speakers and it's awesome...

What is excellent is the sound stage, warm sound , very cool , COOL is the best description....

-- transparent hifi costing 20 k more are not cool compaired, except for tubes

Should I be looking at smaller bookshelves or can it handle the bigger stuff :

i would go for medium size speakers, bookshelves might need a more powerfull like the destiny, huge speakers are unecessary unless you want to transform your house into a dance club or you have 7000 foot square house

Suspended
    Gab, I think I understand what you are saying but generally "cool" is viewed as almost negative thing when describing an audio sound. "cool" being the opposite of "warm", more of an analytical or clinical sound.

I've heard good things about Harbeth. One good thing about Paradigm their sensitivity is over 90 dB which would give more volume from the Creek than a speaker less sensitive. They sound good to if you like a more lively presentation.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Right now it's driving the Canton Ergos and doing a nice job for such a small amp.

I'm going to try the Paradigms at some point soon.

Forum Regular
    Wow.

"Some point soon" became now.

The Paradigms sound tremendous with the Creek. I think I found a winner.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I have my Creek Evo integrated and Rega Apollo through Energy C5's. If you can find the C5's anywhere give them an audition for sure. While I am not an expert, I have a very good ear for music, I listen to a wide variety of music and I certainly know what good sound is. The Energy C5's are for the less than wealthy among us a very worthy speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle
    Wow.

"Some point soon" became now.

The Paradigms sound tremendous with the Creek. I think I found a winner.
    So what Paradigms are you using?

frenchmon

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    So what Paradigms are you using?

frenchmon
    Mini Monitors. They sounded better than the Vandersteens. Maybe because it's a small room.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle
    Mini Monitors. They sounded better than the Vandersteens. Maybe because it's a small room.
    No, it's because almost anything sounds better than Vandersteen. Only my opinion

The natural partner for your Creek amp would be Epos Speakers. They come from the same stable.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Thread Information