I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

Kenwood Basic C-2 Score

Picked up a Kenwood Basic C-2 today that was offered on CL.
    One owner and it is mint condition!!
    Included in the purchase price was a KT-880 Tuner and GE-75 Equalizer.

Hooked it up for a test run to the KM-209 I got the other day. Works perfectly and will soon be matched to the M1D. The C-1 will serve duty in the bedroom with the KM-209.

I have thanked him before but again many thanks to Mr.Peabody for turning me onto the Basic series after I picked up the C-1 in a SA.

Congrats are in order. I have a C2 and an M1D and I think they're super. It's the C2 that I really like. I've got the tuner, too...but haven't listened to radio in many moons.
    Last edited by 02audionoob; 08-23-2008 at 08:44 PM.

pics of the C-2 in its new home........

Here is the pics of the C-2, KT-880 and GE-75 that I picked up last week. Also included a pic of the Sansui 7900Z I mentioned awhile back.

Suspended
    Your welcome. Are you still using the same speakers for the main system?

At the moment no. The photo I attached is of my main 2-channel set-up. The speakers you see in that photo that I am powering with the Basic M1D/C2 combo are Realistic Optimus 5's. Very good sound overall and the wood cabinets have a high WAF. Not sure I would put the Optimus in the same category as the TimeFrame 600's. The second pair you see in the photo are Marantz Imperial 5's and they are being driven by a Sansui 7900Z that I picked up in trade recently.

I have a pair of EPI 100's and Genesis' I's that need to be refoamed and once that happens then I will have to see if one or both of them replace the Optimus or Imperials in that set-up. I am going to use a KM-209/Basic C-1 combo for my bedroom 2-channel set-up and then will have to decide which speakers I will use (leaning towards the EPI's because of their size). The Kenwood combo will replace my current all Onkyo set-up that I am using in my bedroom.

I am using the DCM TF-600's along with a pair of DCM CX-27's for my main HT set-up and using a Pioneer VSX-815 and Onkyo M-5100 to drive them. The DCM's do great double duty for both HT and music so I am very happy with that situation.

Overall I have been able to pick-up a lot of gear in a short period of time that admittedly is not high-end but sounds better than average IMO. I still have 4 pairs of DCM's in the garage I need to restore along with the RtR's that kicked this whole hobby/addiction off. As a re-cap here are the amps/pre-amps I now currently own and am trying to figure out how best to use;

Amps

Kenwood Basic M1D
    Kenwood KM-209
    Kenwood KM-106
    Onkyo M-5100
    Onkyo M-5150

Pre-Amps

Kenwood Basic C-1
    Kenwood Basic C-2
    Kenwood KC-105
    Onkyo P-3150V

Again admittedly this is not high-end stuff but SQ is above average, cost me about $325 and often came with other gear such as tuners,graphic equalizers and or tape decks. In addition my son and I have a blast every weekend going out to the local thrifts looking for this type of gear and that experience is as they say "priceless".

Thought I'd revive this thread a little to mention on the way back from the airport tonight I picked up another Basic C-1 for only $20. Don't need it but the price was right......

Suspended
    It would be interesting to see how the C1 or 2 would compare to some mid-fi preamps of today like the Adcom.

Kenwood Basic C-2 Score

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    It would be interesting to see how the C1 or 2 would compare to some mid-fi preamps of today like the Adcom.

Although I don't have one of today's Adcom preamps, I think I like the sound of my Basic C2 better than my Adcom GFP-565. It sounds smoother and quieter. I paired the C2 with an Adcom GFA-535 to audition the amp for a Craigslist sale and it sounded really nice. The strong, tight bass sort of surprised me. It also didn't have quite as much of an edge to the highs as my GFP-565 does.

Well as you can imagine I don't run across any Adcom gear while thrifting so I guess if you give me about 20 years when Adcom starts showing up on the shelves of the local SA or GW I will be able to run the comparison for you Mr.P......

Just to add this C-1 has slightly green lettering/numbering on it as opposed to the white lettering/numbering I am used to seeing. It says Kenwood-Trio Made in Japan on the back so it is Kenwood but I am wondering if it is an earlier/older version of the Basic series.

Suspended
    I suspect people see the Kenwood and don't realize what they have. Although is built a bit better then the typical. Or, see the "Basic" thinking, oh this must be the entry level. I do wonder why they named it that.

You can just send over one and I'll compare it to my gtp-450. The only draw back with the Basic is no remote. Once you get used to one, man it's hard going back.

I believe the 656 is the preamp Emaidel has, if the C2 sounds better that's pretty good.

Thread Information