AR Newbie Registered Member

Integrating the old with the new

Would love to hear your thoughts on integrating old and new equipment. I inherited a McIntosh MC250 that works great. I would like to add a preamp. Should I be looking for a vintage piece of gear to complement it or would combining it with newer technology like a used C2200 make sense? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by musicinme
    Would love to hear your thoughts on integrating old and new equipment. I inherited a McIntosh MC250 that works great. I would like to add a preamp. Should I be looking for a vintage piece of gear to complement it or would combining it with newer technology like a used C2200 make sense? Thanks in advance.
    Welcome to AR, Musicinme.

Just my 2 cents worth, but the MC250 is nice solid state power amp, vintage 1967-76. I don't think it's really worth while mating with a almost current, near SOTA preamp like the C2200.

Why not consider a nice Mac preamp of around the same vintage like this C28, 1970-78 ...

Or even better maybe, a tuner / preamp like this MX113, 1971-80 ...

Beauty!!!

That 250 looks very nice compared to the one in a local pawnshop here in St. Louis. It was dirty and had rust on it. And the pawnshop was asking way to much for it...$1200 big ones. I told him he was out of his mind if he thinks he will get that for it.

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I see nothing wrong with going new with old. A nice older amp set up with a newer good quality pre can only enhance the amp that much more than a vintage pre with wear. If your looking to maximize your amps potential overall sound, this is a good way to do it.
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier
    Adcom GDV-870 DVD-A/CD player
    Yamaha S1800 DVD/SACD player
    Panasonic DMP-BD60K blu Ray player
    PSB Image series speakes s/s
    Dayton RSS210HF 8" reference sub
    Hitachi 46" HD projector screen

I would agree with Rod-a on this but I think it could go either way. I think this amp could mate well with newer or older gear. But I have heard that McIntosh amps like McIntosh preamps for good synergy. I am not saying this is always the case but most of the times I have seen McIntosh amps being used they have a McIntosh Pre in front of them. It just seems that McIntosh stuff does so well with their own brand of stuff that thats the usual setup if Mac is the brand being used.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Suspended
    I don't think there would be any problem using a newer Mac preamp. However, Mac today isn't Mac of yesterday and if it was my choice I'd go vintage Mac.

I have the same question, just years later! Wonder what ever happened here? I have a MC250 that I would like to hook up for my home theater and am wondering what to use so I can use my 4 speakers plus a sub for home theater and still use the MAC for my old records? Thanks!

Suspended
    What do you have now for HT? If using an A/V receiver or preamp, and the receiver has preamp outputs, just run the preamp output for left/right main into the Mac, then connect the main speakers. You may need an outboard phono stage for hooking up the turntable.

Let me know what else you have to go with the 250.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoepki View Post
    I have the same question, just years later! Wonder what ever happened here? I have a MC250 that I would like to hook up for my home theater and am wondering what to use so I can use my 4 speakers plus a sub for home theater and still use the MAC for my old records? Thanks!

Kenwood AVSR KR-V7080
    Technics SL-1600 Turntable
    Harman Kardon CD player CDR20
    Klipsch Sub
    2 Klipschorns
    1 Klipsch Belle
    1 Klipsch LaScala
    Also 2 Infinity speakers with a Kenwood KA-7100 int. amp, Kenwood KT-5300 tuner. Thanks!

Thread Information