Thread: Marantz amps?

Forum Regular

Talking Marantz amps?

What experiences do you guys have with this company? Any input would be appreciated!

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Depends what you're going to use it for. I have a basic reciever from these guys and it's not bad. In Canada at least it offers the best warranty and the most upgradability in the price range - a bigger power supply, the heaviest in the class more features and a lower price. Sound quality differences amongst receivers are for the most part negligable in my experience.

For 2 channel music or music in general - I would not use a receiver.

Are you referring to their multichannel receivers, monoblock amps, vintage reissues, or actual vintage equipment?

Marantz has a long and illustrious history, and their vintage amps and tuners from the 50s and 60s are some of the most sought after items on the resale market (so much to the point that the company periodically reproduces those amps to the original specs). Most of their operations shifted to Superscope of Japan in the early-70s and they still made well regarded receivers and amps, though they never attained the same rarified status as when Saul Marantz ran the company. I grew up with a vintage Marantz 2275 receiver. Excellent all-around performer with one of the best tuners you'll find on any receiver past or present. I'm looking to restore that unit soon (has several worn switches and burned out bulbs that need replacement).

From the early-90s until about two years ago, the company was basically a nameplate that Philips used to market its receivers and amps. Two years ago, Marantz merged with Denon and now they're operated by a holding company that also bought McIntosh and Rio. Their recent receivers are generally well regarded, but a few of those models have had reliability and/or design problems. From what I understand, the ownership changes shifted production around to different outsource manufacturing sites, and some bad batches resulted.

Thread Information