Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Integrated Amp and Absolute Sound

I have been reading the recent Absolute Sound magazine and they did a review of two integrated maps. The Goldenote from Italy caught my interest as did the new Krell int. amp. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with Goldenote?

I have been looking at many integrated amps and I am trying to narrow my choices. They seem to be in two camps either the 60 watt or 100-250 watt amps. The Naim Nait, Exposure 2010, Goldenote S1, LFD Zero, Simaudio Moon 1 are all in the 50-70 watt range. Creek, Musical Fidelity, Krell, Portal Panache are higher wattage units. I do know the power supply quality of the amp is very important. I am only able to hear a few of the amps with which I am interested.

I am not interested in tubed units. I plan on buying new. Since last time I asked for advice there are new units on the market and I am looking for current advice. Thanks for any help.

The good news is the condo I inherited is finally under contract. It has been a money pit since it could not be rented and we have been paying the condo fees, utilities and property taxes. I hope I have written my last big check to the condo fund. I look forward to the delivery of new equipment and a little travel.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Hi John, I've heard the Naim a couple of times, and found impressive sounding to say at least, very detailed and lively with great, tight bass. it had this certain 'slam' to it's sound.
    The exposure, I have heard too, but not that long. I couldn't really say that it stood out amongst others, a softer, more gentle, but 'fresh' sound though... attractive price too (here in europe, at least...)

I haven't had that much experience with the other gear you mentioned. The simaudio is pretty analytical though, from my other experiences with the brand...
    What musical fidelity are you looking at? great gear too, but I'd definately go for an Accuphase or a Mcintosh instead...

Speaking of which, if you pay a little more (not that much more, really), you could also look at an Accuphase integrated, an E-350, for example. Great gear, lasts a lifetime, amazing sound...
    Or a Mcintosh, but you'd have to go for a MA6500 or MA6600 to better the E350, and they cost more...

Good luck and have fun

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Ajani
    The amps that most interest me in the $1.5K to $2K range are:

Musical Fidelity A1 - 36 Watts
    Naim Nait 5i - 50 Watts
    Simaudio Moon I1 - 50 Watts
    YBA YA201 - 100 Watts
    Roksan Kandy K2 - 125 Watts
    Cambridge Audio 840A V2 - 120 Watts
    &
    Creek Evolution 5350 - 120 Watts

With the exception of the Creek (which is yet to be released) all the others have been drooled over in hifi mags across the globe, for being genuine High-End entry points (assuming that matters)...
    Last edited by Ajani; 06-13-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Ajani
    I forgot to add these two Class D Integrated amps:

PS Audio Trio C-100 - 100 Watts
    Bel Canto S300i - 150 Watts

With your budget, how about a Level-2 modified Xandak XA-6950?

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    Hi John, I've heard the Naim a couple of times, and found impressive sounding to say at least, very detailed and lively with great, tight bass. it had this certain 'slam' to it's sound.
    The exposure, I have heard too, but not that long. I couldn't really say that it stood out amongst others, a softer, more gentle, but 'fresh' sound though... attractive price too (here in europe, at least...)

I haven't had that much experience with the other gear you mentioned. The simaudio is pretty analytical though, from my other experiences with the brand...
    What musical fidelity are you looking at? great gear too, but I'd definately go for an Accuphase or a Mcintosh instead...

Speaking of which, if you pay a little more (not that much more, really), you could also look at an Accuphase integrated, an E-350, for example. Great gear, lasts a lifetime, amazing sound...
    Or a Mcintosh, but you'd have to go for a MA6500 or MA6600 to better the E350, and they cost more...

Good luck and have fun

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.

Bert,

Thanks for the advice. The Musical Fidelity int amp I have been considering is the A5.5. It is a 250 watt integrated amp. I have never gone for high power before but I understand the thoughts behind high power. I also agree with those who promote low power single pair of tranisistors.

I have also been consiedering the Luxman L505u.

I am 53 years old and I am looking for an integrated amp that will last for many a years. This may be the amp that lasts me to the end. I am looking for something neutral that might lean to warmth. Better seperation of instruments and more defined soundstage will be welcome. A little stronger in the bass would be nice. The Onkyo A 9555 is much of what I enjoy as far as balance and neutrality but I want a little more. The A 9555 is amazing for the money.

I will travel to Cincinnati to hear Naim. Much of what I am interested in I am not able to hear.

Thanks,
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    With your budget, how about a Level-2 modified Xandak XA-6950?

JRA I looked up the brand since I was not familiar with the name. Interesting suggestion and I have been interested in Dussun. So many choices too little chances of hearing them.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I have also been consiedering the Luxman L505u.

I am 53 years old and I am looking for an integrated amp that will last for many a years. This may be the amp that lasts me to the end. I am looking for something neutral that might lean to warmth. Better seperation of instruments and more defined soundstage will be welcome. A little stronger in the bass would be nice. The Onkyo A 9555 is much of what I enjoy as far as balance and neutrality but I want a little more. The A 9555 is amazing for the money.
    Definitely keep the Luxman in mind

I heard some luxman products amps recently, they were too rich for my blood, but anyways:
    They were absolutely amazing. almost undescribeable. Compared to other products in the same price range, I would have preferred the luxman above them.

Accuphase is a really great brand too, and just like luxman, extremely reliable. very fast, clean and well detailed sound. very transparent, fantastic sound stage. Wether they are 'neutral' or not may be subjective, but if this is coloration, bring on the entire rainbow.

I'd say: add mcintosh to your list too, but you'd be looking at higher priced amps to compete with the luxman and accuphase. Not that the lower priced units are bad, but the real Mcintosh house sound will come out better with their autoformers...

All of the above are amazing brands, and will probably last longer than one's lifetime...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

I have read very nice things about the Onkyo A9555, JM. When you say you want "a little more", what do you mean? More neutrality? More kick?

Accuphase is truly a manufacturer of robust and reliable gear, as basite points out. Although I have not owned anything of theirs, I have had the pleasure of listening to a fre integrateds and stand alone amps hooked to some of the higher priced Tannoys (Churchills, Westminsters, etc.). The presentation, to my recollection was meaty and unstrained. It's the kind of stuff that gets passed on to the grandkids....

I like Naim. Hooked up to to a pair of Epos, the Naims were quite musical and natural. I remember small chamber and jazz ensembles played with an eerie presence that reminded me why this hobby holds me in its grip even today.

Luxman is very nice, but their products are much like Marantz: Higher along the price range, the stuff gets better and better; further down, things get less interesting. Caveat emptor.

Definitely keep the Luxman in mind
    Accuphase is a really great brand too, and just like luxman, extremely reliable. very fast, clean and well detailed sound. very transparent, fantastic sound stage. Wether they are 'neutral' or not may be subjective, but if this is coloration, bring on the entire rainbow.

I'd say: add mcintosh to your list too...

All of the above are amazing brands, and will probably last longer than one's lifetime...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Personally I'd really like the Pass Labs INT-150, but at US$7000 it ain't happening.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Integrated Amp and Absolute Sound-passlabsint150-700-.jpg  

Shoot! I gotta start wearin' a bib before I log on, here!

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Personally I'd really like the Pass Labs INT-150, but at US$7000 it ain't happening.
    cool amp!

never saw one yet, but if it's in the same trend as the other Pass labs gear, I'm interested to find out more

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

cool amp!

never saw one yet, but if it's in the same trend as the other Pass labs gear, I'm interested to find out more

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    I've heard that the INT-150 is precisely an XP-10 preamp and X150.5 power amp combined in one chassis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Integrated Amp and Absolute Sound-passlabscombo.jpg  

John, I know you said no tubes, but these two suggestions only have small signal tubes which last a long time. Knowing a little what music you like I would try and hear the Unison Research Unico and/or the Pathos One. I never got on with Naim amps, I guess is that relentness drive.
    Good luck with the search.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Shoot! I gotta start wearin' a bib before I log on, here!
    Me2. It's just not fairs I tells ya...
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Me2. It's just not fairs I tells ya...

here's another one for ya, just to see if you're actually wearing the bib

CLICK HERE.

You could have one too

keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

here's another one for ya, just to see if you're actually wearing the bib

CLICK HERE.

You could have one too

keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Smarty pants. I've already droolled over that one. No double dipping.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Bert...you are dithpicable!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    John, I know you said no tubes, but these two suggestions only have small signal tubes which last a long time. Knowing a little what music you like I would try and hear the Unison Research Unico and/or the Pathos One. I never got on with Naim amps, I guess is that relentness drive.
    Good luck with the search.

Bernd I have read that the chief complaint for some is that relentless drive of the Naim. There is more than just the toe tapping. I have read about the Unico and Pathos One and both are interesting. I just worry that I am too neurotic for tubes. Will consider them in my search. Looks like I may be travelling to hear some amps.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    I have read very nice things about the Onkyo A9555, JM. When you say you want "a little more", what do you mean? More neutrality? More kick?

The Onkyo A 9555 is very nice and the phono pre amp is great with the Ortofon OM20. I like the tonal balance but could use a little more seperation and definition of the soundstage.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Bernd I have read that the chief complaint for some is that relentless drive of the Naim. There is more than just the toe tapping. I have read about the Unico and Pathos One and both are interesting. I just worry that I am too neurotic for tubes. Will consider them in my search. Looks like I may be travelling to hear some amps.
    John,

You live in Dayton, right?
    Hanson Audio carried Pathos Acoustics last time I was there. I think you would get much more involving sound than suggested above. Luxman's phono stage looks very interesting though.

PS: I doubt you are interested, but the spelling of integrated amp I had mentioned is Xindak, not Xandak.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    John,

You live in Dayton, right?
    Hanson Audio carried Pathos Acoustics last time I was there. I think you would get much more involving sound than suggested above. Luxman's phono stage looks very interesting though.

PS: I doubt you are interested, but the spelling of integrated amp I had mentioned is Xindak, not Xandak.

Regards,

I lived in Dayton from 1975-1979. I now live 32 miles East of Columbus. I was interested in your suggestion and I found it. My computer always asks did you mean this spelling you dyslexic bastard. I looked at it and found it interesting. I am learning about all your good suggestions.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

If tubes are not for you, try and hear a Sugden amp. I can almost guarantee that you would love the sound it makes. Class A all the way. Those three amps I mentioned are the total opposite from Naim. If you like one musical presentation you will not like the other. The new Marantz "Black Pearl" also looks interesting, although I have not heard one yet. Anyway, a nice reason to travel.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Scared of tubes?

Me too to the extent that I haven't tried a tube power amp. But tube preamps and hybrid power tube driver stages are perhaps a bit easier. Their tubes are typically long-lived and don't require biasing.

If I were starting from scratch I might consider a 'Audio by Van Alstine' combination:
    A true North American product priced under US$3k.

I think it's Blackraven who has AVA equipment and might lend an endorsement.
    Last edited by Feanor; 06-16-2009 at 03:22 PM.

Interesting comment about the Onky, JM. I see you stuck a Hi Fi tuning fuse in (didn't Stereophile reccommend this?). Did that not make any difference?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information