Forum Regular

Image 65i tube amp

Thought I'd share a photo of the power amp I picked up several months ago. It uses 6550 outputs for 50 watts a channel. The sound is excellent and a perfect match for my Spendor SP1/2Es. They are fairly rare in the US but if you stumble across one and have any urge for a tube amp don't hesitate as Image is a first rate product.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image 65i tube amp-image_65i_powered.jpg  

Suspended
    Ah, couldn't stay away from the valves. The 6550's have more punch then the MV60 with EL34's? The MV60se uses 6550's but I understand it gives up a little midrange magic for the extra punch.

Forum Regular
    Yes, the 6550 output tube is a bit gutsier than the EL34 amps I've had in the past. That said, I like the current setup so much that I'd have a hard time imagining the midrange getting any better.

I am curious to try some KT88s in the output section of this amp. When I had a set of modded Dynaco MkIII several years back I preferred the KT88s over 6550s. However, it is just a matter of getting around to ordering a quad of the different tubes. I'll report back when that gets done.

Thread Information