AR Newbie Registered Member

Question I'm lost in a world I don't understand!

Hey guys! I finally decided to register and post on the forum (before I just lurked around as a guest) since everyone here has a much higher understanding of audio than I do. I have a dilemma and I know this is the place where I can solve it.

I recently purchased a pair of Polk Audio RTA 11t's for a song and now I want to amp them. I am an aspiring dj and would like to use an amp that is less theater oriented and more production oriented. A friend of mine is a dealer for phonic so I would like to purchase something from them. I have been eyeing the MX860 as a possibility, but here is where my problem arises. How would I go about hooking the amp up to a mixer or straight to a laptop? I am a noob when it comes to audio so forgive me if that is a dumb question. The only inputs on the amp are the mic style and 1/4" phone jacks. Second, is this amp too powerful for the speakers? From my limited understanding of impedance it seems just right. I really appreciate the help guys!

Here is the information on my speakers:

Overall Frequency Response: 22Hz-26KHz
    -3dB Limits: 29Hz-20KHz
    Recommended Amplification: 30-250 watts/channel
    Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohms
    Efficiency: 90dB

Quote Originally Posted by andym8n
    How would I go about hooking the amp up to a mixer or straight to a laptop? I am a noob when it comes to audio so forgive me if that is a dumb question. The only inputs on the amp are the mic style and 1/4" phone jacks.
    You can easily purchase phone jack to RCA jack adapters at Radio Shack if that's what you mean. Real pro gear will use XLR cables. Similarly, you can buy a cable with one end that connects to the single stereo jack from a sound card to a pair of RCA cables for connection to an amplifier. I use one to send the output from my computer's sound card to a receiver for driving an in house / patio sound system.

Second, is this amp too powerful for the speakers?
    No. Its power ratings are of the more relaxed EIA standard rather than the more stringent RMS rating.

Good luck as this appears to be a low end Chinese brand.

rw

AR Newbie Registered Member
    What amp would you recommend in my situation? I have a limited budget

What amp would you recommend in my situation? I have a limited budget
    What exactly do you mean by "less theater oriented and more production oriented."?

If you mean you don't need a touring amp, then I would not recommend buying a Class H pro amp. They are the pickup trucks of the industry. Rugged, inexpensive, lots of bang for buck - but severely lacking in performance. If, on the other hand, you want better audio performance, then I would consider something else. NAD, for example makes very good sounding units at a modest price point. What is your budget?

rw

Thread Information