Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

I am in love with it and need your help.

Guys,
    I need your opinions about this tube preamp. I am looking for a tube preamp that be cheap, good looking , and with tone control. I have been looking for everywhere ( Audiogon, etc ) and it isn't easy to find those 3 things together. The only thing I need is to get opinions about if it will improve the ss sound or not. I don't have a high end solid state preamp but an Nad C-370. I have been adviced to get tube gears because they sound better than ss, specially the preamp section. The system I am planning on is this tube preamp with ss amp plus my B&W DM 602 S2 large bookshelves.
    Do you thing it worths the money to try it ??
    Will I get a dramatic change in sound for the better??
    Thanks to all you in advance,
    Jorge.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xiang-Sheng-728A...80478841865798

No personal experience myself, but if you google it, you'll find another forum (Audio Karma) that had favorable responses for it.

I haven't heard the Xiang Sheng amp, but I wouldn't have thought it would be at a higher level of sound quality than the NAD. Different? Yes. Better? Maybe a little hard for me to believe.

You may want to consider this Vincent Hybrid preamp. It cost more however-

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...&variation=SIL
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I know about the Vincent. I have been checking them for long time. I am sure any tube preamp will improve the sound of the NAD. We are talking about SS against tubes. I believe the Xiang Sheng 728 A is a copy of the Legendary Marantz 7. Thanks.
    Jorge.
    Last edited by dvjorge; 03-15-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Forum Regular
    Please,
    Does someone know this place ??
    I don't know if this place is outside of the US and don't find information about them. It is cheaper here as well as other audio products. Thanks for any information.

http://hi-end.on9mart.com/blog/whats...iangsheng.html
    Jorge

A Google search turned up this for me..

http://reviews.ebay.com/On9mart-Chin...00000006722535

Forum Regular
    The vintage Dynaco Pas 2/3 tube preamps have tone controls, sound good and can usually be bought on ebay for a couple of hundred. Many have already been refurbished. You can buy one of these now and later add their famous partner, the Dynaco ST-70 tube power amp which has enough power to drive most any speaker. The vintage Dynaco's are the still the world's best selling tube amps and even have their own dedicated forum.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DYNACO-PAS-3X-w-...item2a0ef0440a

Forum Regular
    Thanks. There are many options and this is driviong me crazy. I have seen a lot more of chinese stuff which looks good but who knows how they will sound. Honestly, the chinese new tube amps are pretty if with compare them with the recognized brands. The sound is what matter but since I don't have a dedicated listening room, it has to be something that my wife be agree.
    Jorge

Forum Regular
    Thanks. There are many options and this is driving me crazy. I have seen a lot more of chinese stuff which looks good but who knows how they will sound. Honestly, the chinese new tube amps are pretty if with compare them with the recognized brands. The sound is what matter but since I don't have a dedicated listening room, it has to be something that my wife be agree.
    Jorge

The Scary Ghost has a very good suggestion about the vintage Pas preamp. Although it may not have the bling you are looking for. If you are curious about the Dynaco's send an email to Frank Van Alstine who refurbishes them- www.avahifi.com
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Thanks. I have another post in Audiogon, Audiokarma, and DIY Audio. What I want is probably impossible. I want Hi End sound been poor. But, some guys in Audiogon stay that with experience and luck, we can get pre-owned equipments and built a system with less than $ 3000 that be really Hi End. Not sure about it but I have hope because I don't believe I have the chance to spend $ 20 000 in my system.

You may want to consider a tube DAC for a little tube warmth and sound. Consider this maverick DAC/Pre with the tube upgrade. It is a bang for the buck piece of equipment. I have read that it better sounding with more detail than the Music Hall tube DAC at less than 1/2 the cost.

http://www.mav-audio.com/store/index...c-d1-5670.html

Here is a link to a forum about it- http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78467.0

Or its cousin-(the maverick has been redesigned)

http://www.grantfidelity.com/site/Gr...ty_Tube_DAC-09
    Last edited by blackraven; 03-17-2011 at 06:16 PM.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I think I would advise buying something you can audition first. It's not a given that you're going to like budget tube gear better than quality solid state just because it's tube. The current Marantz and Rega solid state integrateds might give you what you're looking for better than an inexpensive tube component.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I think I would advise buying something you can audition first. It's not a given that you're going to like budget tube gear better than quality solid state just because it's tube. The current Marantz and Rega solid state integrateds might give you what you're looking for better than an inexpensive tube component.
    Good point! Never I good idea to buy blindly or on here say . Who knows, the person raving about it, may have connections to that company. We all have different tastes anyway, the best judge is YOU. As Noob says, just because it's tube (entry level at that it appears) doesn't guarantee it would out perform a quality solid state piece.

Forum Regular
    I agree with you guys. Believe it or not, there aren't Hi-Fi dealers in Miami in spite of be a place where many rich live. Only one, Sound Components, with a limited amount of equipments,most of them ultra hi-end.
    So, opening a hi-fi store in Miami could be a good business.
    Jorge.

Forum Regular
    I recommended the Dynaco as it has tone controls but there are many more good ones that don't.

Sound suffers with the addition of controls in the signal path and that is why you see high end components going minimal.

I think there are preamps in the solid state world and tube world that will improve your sound over the NAD. There are a few of the newer designed class d units that are excellent too but most are quite pricey. I have a Nuforce P8 which is a newer class d design and in my system it gives me the tube like midrange that I was looking for without loosing the bottom end tightness and nice treble that works awesome in my system. But with B&W speakers I definitely would go with something with a warmer sound since their speakers have a brighter top end by design.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Forum Regular
    I agree with you about how the B&W are brights.
    I want tubes. I have never own tube equipments, and want to explore that world. This hobby is a never ending task because we are more equipment lovers than music lovers. I have some posts in Audiogon that are very hot. It worths to read them. Most people that write in Audiogon have spent a fortune in equipment. Their experiences and mistakes are an school for many like me that want to get an step up in sound quality.
    Jorge.

If you want to get tubes by all means go for it. I think right now is some of the best times to explore the world of tube preamps and amps because there are so many good quality makes and models out there. Conrad Johnson, Audio Note, and many others are making great tube stuff that in some cases demolishes the tube stereotypes that they once had. But be prepared to spend some money if you really want to get the best out of tube audio because the good tube gear is quite pricey. But if you wanted to start smaller price and get an entry level tube piece on of the units from China that is a few hundred dollars will at least get you started in the world of tubes.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

I agree with what I think is the implication in harley's thoughts...the price of admission for quality tube gear is a little high. Sure Conrad-Johnson and Audio Note tube gear is nice, but look at the prices. Even Prima Luna prices are enough to give many audiophiles pause. What little tube gear I've owned at the low end ultimately didn't appeal to me. I think if you're going to truly experience what tube gear can do, it takes some bucks. Otherwise, you might just come to the conclusion that tube gear isn't worth the fuss.

Forum Regular
    I don't think it will be necessary to spend too much in a tube amplifier to outperform a SS. I am absolutely sure the chinese stuff such as Yaqin (no to tell Cayin, Jolida and other better known) sound better than most entry level SS stuff such as Nad, Rotel, Adcom, Parasound, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dvjorge
    I don't think it will be necessary to spend too much in a tube amplifier to outperform a SS. I am absolutely sure the chinese stuff such as Yaqin (no to tell Cayin, Jolida and other better known) sound better than most entry level SS stuff such as Nad, Rotel, Adcom, Parasound, etc.
    I disagree. I'd take entry level Rotel, Marantz and Rega over entry level tube gear...probably would prefer Adcom, too.

I also agree that some of the cheap china made preamps are basically knockoffs of early tube designs from the late 60's through the seventies from Dynaco and Luxman and other companies and that they might do what they are made to do ok but there build quality and overall usability in my opinion is not quite up there with Nuforce and Bel Canto and some of the other companies making high end gear that is also priced for the working class to have a chance to afford. I would put my Nuforce up against any of these cheaper units any day. My opinion of course and I am not an audio god but I do happen to hang around audio heaven quite frequently.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Forum Regular
    Harley,
    I agree with you the chinese cheap tube gears isn't as good as some recognized brands such as Bel Canto, Rogue Audio, Cary, CJ, etc. But, I put my money most of them sound better than the entry levels SS such as Nad, Rotel, Adcom, Parasound, etc. I have owned all these entry levels and had to sell them because my old Sansui AU-517 from 1979 sound better. I owned the famous Nad C-370, for example. After listening a Cayin tube integrated with a pair of cheap Epos bookwhelves, I was totally impressed to the point where I will have to spend a fortune in SS to get that sound if possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information