Forum Regular

How many watts is enough? Integrated help.

I am looking at the Portal Panache and the Primare I20. The panache has 100 watts and the primare only has 70. WIll this make a huge difference? My speakers are 91db with a normal impedance of 8 ohm. Recommended power is 10-140.

What would you guys suggest. I will be looking at used units.

Buy the one that sounds better to you, i wouldnt care about the small power rating difference.

-Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Pat
    Forum Regular
    I exchanged eMails with Joe Abrams at Portal and he referred to his integrated as a "Hot rod". Maybe one of these days I'll give it a whirl.

Like Florian said....listening is your best bet.
    Have a good day.....Sez' Pat
    Denon 685 Receiver & 2900 Player, Sonographe 120 Amp, Klipsch RF7 Speakers, 2039+ svs Sub, 10gauge solid core copper cables

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Not much difference on the surface between 70 watts and 100 watts. That'll drive your speakers pretty loud. Need to know more about the amps to make a decision though. Including a critical listening test to evaluate sound.

I've previously driven 88 dB speakers fine with a mere 30 watts per channel to very loud levels with no clipping or distortion I could hear. The amp had a lot of instantaneous reserve power for peaks, which was more important than the 30 watt/channel rating.

I'm sure either are fine.

Suspended
    To put some of what has already been said another way, it's not how many watts, it's the quality of watts.

I'm familiar with Primare but not at all with Portal. I can vouch that Primare has some strong quality watts. Check the specs though, some of the European amp companies sometimes give their power ratings into 4 ohms opposed to 8.

I have to say that although Primare is a high quality amp there is something quarky about their sound that doesn't appeal to me. You're probably asking, then why does he have one of their processors. The HT side of this processor is great, I've experimented with 2 channel through the preamp and it's the same as some of their other equipment I've heard, I can't put my finger on it, and maybe no one else will have this reaction but something in their musical reproduction bugs me.

Forum Regular
    It is strange that you say that. I have only listened to primare through their HT processors and amps and thought it sounded good. The setup wasnt great but the speakers were Vienna acoustics. It was a two channel cd that was playing though. My friend was with me and he said something sounded off to him, he couldn't quite put his finger on it but just said it had a strange effect. I brushed it off because he is not into hi-fi... but maybe...

Either should be fine, without knowing the impedence curve, it looks like a fairly efficient speaker. Can you do an in-home demo? Have you tried any other names? My recommendation is to try some demos at your home, then decide. Many people like the sound of low-mid powered tube amps, others like high powered solid state. You may want to sample both and see how your speakers work with a variety of amplifiers in your house. That would be your best bet. Cheers
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated
    Sony DVP-NC685V CD/SACD/DVD
    Audioquest Viper Interconnect
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

"hey dreaming it up accounts for half the fun - and time"

Pat
    Forum Regular
    Maybe if Magnolia opens a shop inside Best Buys I'll be able to demo that Primare, I sure like the simple looks.
    Joe at Portal was closely connected somehow to the "heavyweight" Threshold Audio for many years and that may have something to do with the design of his amps.

Other integrateds if you are interested are, Arcam, Ayre, Blue Circle, Bryston, Classe, BV Audio, DK Design, Jeff Rowland, McIntosh, Plinius, Rotel, Sim Audio, Tac-T, YBA and probably a few others if anyones interested.
    Denon 685 Receiver & 2900 Player, Sonographe 120 Amp, Klipsch RF7 Speakers, 2039+ svs Sub, 10gauge solid core copper cables

Forum Regular
    Magnolia has opened in almost all my local best buys for the past year or so. I am sure you could fine one in you area, and they do have the primare amps and processors in their systems.

Suspended
    There is a high end shop inside Best Buy? This is the first I've heard of that. I don't think they have them in my area but I will look into it. What lines does Magnolia have?

Forum Regular
    I ended up with the Panache.

Magnoila sells Sonus faber, martin logan, primare, vienna acoustics, Mcintosh, B&K, audioquest, Mirage among others....

Pat
    Forum Regular
    Soooooooooo,

How do you like it and what other electronics are you using with it?

Thread Information