Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

How do I use a hard drive to play music?

I'm not really sure what forum this goes in, but I'll try here...

When I was shopping for speakers, one of the stores that we went into had music stored on a hard-drive and the song list displayed on a TV. You could scan through the song list and pick a song, album, or artist to play. Kind of like iTunes but a different program.

What is the best way to do this at home? Is the memory in the receiver, or is there is separate hard drive component that I would have to buy to acheive this?

I may be able to get a good deal on a JVC receiver that offers wireless connection to a computer. Presumably, I could then use the receiver to hook into my home computer and iTunes and wouldn't need to re-rip anything. Would that work? The downside I see to that would be that my laptop would have to double as our music library and ripping all of our disks to it would really bog it down. Or, I guess I could buy a inexpensive laptop and designate it just for music.

Help!

Thanks.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I'm not really sure what forum this goes in, but I'll try here...

When I was shopping for speakers, one of the stores that we went into had music stored on a hard-drive and the song list displayed on a TV. You could scan through the song list and pick a song, album, or artist to play. Kind of like iTunes but a different program.

What is the best way to do this at home? Is the memory in the receiver, or is there is separate hard drive component that I would have to buy to acheive this?

I may be able to get a good deal on a JVC receiver that offers wireless connection to a computer. Presumably, I could then use the receiver to hook into my home computer and iTunes and wouldn't need to re-rip anything. Would that work? The downside I see to that would be that my laptop would have to double as our music library and ripping all of our disks to it would really bog it down. Or, I guess I could buy a inexpensive laptop and designate it just for music.

Help!

Thanks.
    I think the best way is to get a media player like this

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Play-Medi.../dp/B002MCZJ3C

I use the wireless version of this player, and have connected 6TB of raid storage for songs and movies. It is really quite a convient way of storing your favorite media, and having quick access to it.

Rather than having a computer to store your songs, try a portable hard drive. 1TB drives are now under $200, and they can store far more songs than a computer can. With that much space, you can rip losslessly, and maintain the quality of the audio.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Thanks! I think that's what I'm looking for. So help me understand how this would work. This is not a hard drive, right? I would still need to buy a hard drive to hold the music? Then I would connect the h/d to the media player and the media player to my receiver. Is that correct?

Thanks! I think that's what I'm looking for. So help me understand how this would work. This is not a hard drive, right? I would still need to buy a hard drive to hold the music? Then I would connect the h/d to the media player and the media player to my receiver. Is that correct?
    You got it good sista! You turn these series of components into a poor mans media server. I currently have my entire collection of CD(all 1500 of them) and three quarters of my DVD's(2600 of them) currently stored on three dual eSata drives. Fast access, lossless bit for bit quality all at your finger tips.

The great thing about this setup is that I can wireless stream all this data to any computer of DNLA device in my network. Music on the patio, no problem. You just need a laptop and some portable speakers. Movies on the patio. Easy peasy, just stream it to a Ipad or laptop. I can access all of my media anywhere on the compound!
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    You got it good sista! You turn these series of components into a poor mans media server. I currently have my entire collection of CD(all 1500 of them) and three quarters of my DVD's(2600 of them) currently stored on three dual eSata drives. Fast access, lossless bit for bit quality all at your finger tips.

The great thing about this setup is that I can wireless stream all this data to any computer of DNLA device in my network. Music on the patio, no problem. You just need a laptop and some portable speakers. Movies on the patio. Easy peasy, just stream it to a Ipad or laptop. I can access all of my media anywhere on the compound!
    Cool! So I could put my music on this thing, take my laptop out the backyard, plug in a decent set of computer speakers and run music right from the media player through the laptop? Would I be able to see the same thing on my computer monitor that I see on the TV screen, so I could pick and choose songs without having to get up?

I suppose I need a receiver that either has wireless ability or a USB port.

Cool! So I could put my music on this thing, take my laptop out the backyard, plug in a decent set of computer speakers and run music right from the media player through the laptop? Would I be able to see the same thing on my computer monitor that I see on the TV screen, so I could pick and choose songs without having to get up?

I suppose I need a receiver that either has wireless ability or a USB port.
    I think I misstated myself here. When I looked at what I said, I got it totally wrong. You can stream media TO the O!play, not from it. I have another wireless interface that I can stream FROM my network to my laptop. In the end I have access to all of my media anywhere from the living room to the backyard.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

I am pretty sure that she can still do what you were saying.
    A wireless media player.
    An external hard drive.
    A laptop or receiver that has a wireless option.

Seems like it should work. I've not done it but the owner of our company brags about his set-up all the time.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I think I misstated myself here. When I looked at what I said, I got it totally wrong. You can stream media TO the O!play, not from it. I have another wireless interface that I can stream FROM my network to my laptop. In the end I have access to all of my media anywhere from the living room to the backyard.
    Now you've just confused me. Why would I want to stream media TO the O!play? Please remember that as much as I love music, I am an idiot when it comes to technology and gear.

Here's what I want to do. Let's forget taking music outside just for a moment.

I would like to be able to store the music from my CDs in some sort of media that I could connect to my stereo and sort through like iTunes, so that I don't have to be bothered putting CD in player, taking CD out of player. (I'm lazy that way). If I could somehow also load music that I purchase directly from iTunes (and other sites) on said media that would be even better. I don't do much of that now, but might in the future.

Now, I thought that it ended there but then you went and opened up a second can of worms...

If that media could be streamed wirelessly outside, that would be awesome! If not, I can live with that. No reason that I couldn't just plug a decent set of computer speakers to my Macbook and use iTunes in the backyard.

Can I connect wireless speakers to my Mac? I'm getting crazy now, I know.

Forum Regular
    You might want to check into the Squeezebox line. See http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/. I use the Touch model in my main system. The server is in the basement and contains over 46,000 songs. One can assemble playlists in any order and add to or edit them as you're playing other songs. The ability to access and search your music library is amazing.

The connection between the players and the server can either be wireless or ethernet cable. The Touch player can be controlled from its screen, or from a remote or laptop.

One music server (actually just an ordinary PC) can support multiple Squeezebox players. I've got a second system that uses their SB3 player and the "Radio" model in the kitchen. The players also support internet radio.

The charger/base of this remote is connected to an input on my integrated amp. The remote itself gets a signal wirelessly from a USB dongle on my computer. It reads my iTunes and Windows Media libraries on the computer and plays them on the stereo. The interface on the remote LCD screen is similar to an iPod.

Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl
    You might want to check into the Squeezebox line.
    That seems to be what I'm looking for. I'll check it out in more detail over the weekend. Thanks!

Other recommendations are welcome. I probably won't be purchasing anything until the Fall. But I'd like to start investigating my options.

Now you've just confused me. Why would I want to stream media TO the O!play? Please remember that as much as I love music, I am an idiot when it comes to technology and gear.

Here's what I want to do. Let's forget taking music outside just for a moment.

I would like to be able to store the music from my CDs in some sort of media that I could connect to my stereo and sort through like iTunes, so that I don't have to be bothered putting CD in player, taking CD out of player. (I'm lazy that way). If I could somehow also load music that I purchase directly from iTunes (and other sites) on said media that would be even better. I don't do much of that now, but might in the future.

Now, I thought that it ended there but then you went and opened up a second can of worms...

If that media could be streamed wirelessly outside, that would be awesome! If not, I can live with that. No reason that I couldn't just plug a decent set of computer speakers to my Macbook and use iTunes in the backyard.

Can I connect wireless speakers to my Mac? I'm getting crazy now, I know.
    Actually FA, look into the option I mentioned. It is not a bad idea to explore all of the suggestion mention here.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

I will. Thanks. I'll look into all options. I'm not planning on any upgrades until the Fall. But I want to start my research now so that when the time (and money) is right, I know what I'm doing.

Thread Information