Forum Regular

How do I connect an integrated amplifier without pre-out to another amplifier?

I have an integrated amplifier without pre-out connector. I want to connect this to another power amplifier, preferrably by completely bypassing the power amplifier circuits in the integrated amplifier.. How can I do this?

I see several options, each with its own issues:
    1. Use tape-out, but I think this is not volume-controlled. True?
    2. Use head phone output. I am not sure whether this output is internally connected to the pre-amp out, or to the power-amp out. In the last case the power amplifier is not bypassed. I am also not sure what the signal level on the head phone output is: is it line level or much larger?
    3. Use output of integrated amplifier, and connect that - perhaps first through a resistor network to reduce voltage level - to input of 2nd power amplifier.

Any other ideas and advice welcome!

Hi, my comments

I give my comments in context, below. Others might have additional suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by karman
    I have an integrated amplifier without pre-out connector. I want to connect this to another power amplifier, preferrably by completely bypassing the power amplifier circuits in the integrated amplifier.. How can I do this?

I see several options, each with its own issues:
    1. Use tape-out, but I think this is not volume-controlled. True? True
    2. Use head phone output. I am not sure whether this output is internally connected to the pre-amp out, or to the power-amp out. In the last case the power amplifier is not bypassed. I am also not sure what the signal level on the head phone output is: is it line level or much larger? Typically the headphone output is not from the power section but does use some, lessor amplification. However this might work; try it using a stereo phone plug to RCA adaptor. There might be impedance issues, so start with a very low volume setting.
    3. Use output of integrated amplifier, and connect that - perhaps first through a resistor network to reduce voltage level - to input of 2nd power amplifier. Not a great idea, though there might be adaptors that would permit this.

Any other ideas and advice welcome!

I would just sell the integrated and buy a preamp...

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Carver used to make an item and I think it was called the Z coupler. This would allow an int. amp's power output to pass through the coupler and then into the larger power amp. You might find one on the used market. Currently Musical Fidelity makes a 550K Supercharger monoblock designed to increase the power of your existing int. amp to 550 watts. Of course for a cost of $5,000 a pair they are not for everyone.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Carver used to make an item and I think it was called the Z coupler. This would allow an int. amp's power output to pass through the coupler and then into the larger power amp. You might find one on the used market. Currently Musical Fidelity makes a 550K Supercharger monoblock designed to increase the power of your existing int. amp to 550 watts. Of course for a cost of $5,000 a pair they are not for everyone.
    Whoa!
    Many years ago I used option 1 through my AKAI Reel-to-Reel. Receiver was a Pioneer SX-450. It did improve sound quality but the left channel volume control got progressively dirtier until I was no longer able to get output from that channel.

sell the integrated, get a preamp.

the tape output will kill your speakers first, and then your amp. unless it has gain controls, in which case you can use the tape output, and use the gain controls as a volume knob.
    headphone output, might work, however, unless your integrated amp is an ultra exotic integrated amp, I wouldn't recommend this, due to that the headphone amp isn't of the greates quality in most integrateds and preamps..
    option 3: such things exist, but I'm not a fan of them. you could try it, but I don't know where to find them (don't build them yourself), and quality will suffer.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation