Forum Regular

Question Has anyone heard a Denon PMA-1060?

Hello, all. This is my first post but I have been utilizing this site for years for audio-info and for that I thank all of you. I am considering building a second system, just a fairly basic 2-channel system. This will be a piece-by-piece endeavor that will take some time, but I am looking at a Denon PMA-1060 integrated for starters. Has anyone heard one? Is it similar to the (somewhat highly regarded) Denon PMA-2000(ivr)?

This will be the first building block, so the speakers haven't been chosen (I'm thinking about some pretty substantial floorstanders as I like bass-heavy rock music as well as piano based music and am trying to avoid a subwoofer).

Any suggestions, thoughts, or input on the matter will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Chicago IL
    I just checked the amp specs and it looks pretty nice amp! Rated 105W you will get any speakers going with that! It has the button loudness so you will have a lot of bass!!! Get equalizer and I bet you will have amazing sound!!!

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deaconblues06
    Hello, all. This is my first post but I have been utilizing this site for years for audio-info and for that I thank all of you. I am considering building a second system, just a fairly basic 2-channel system. This will be a piece-by-piece endeavor that will take some time, but I am looking at a Denon PMA-1060 integrated for starters. Has anyone heard one? Is it similar to the (somewhat highly regarded) Denon PMA-2000(ivr)?

This will be the first building block, so the speakers haven't been chosen (I'm thinking about some pretty substantial floorstanders as I like bass-heavy rock music as well as piano based music and am trying to avoid a subwoofer).

Any suggestions, thoughts, or input on the matter will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    The Denon integrated amps are very good, in fact I was really looking for a PMA-2000 at one time. But, I'm glad that I didn't find one that I could afford. Please, let me give you a different option:

-- Emotiva is having a Christmas sale. A suggestion is that you pick up a separate pre amp and power amp for:

Pre Amp: http://www.emotiva.com/usp1.shtm
    Power Amp: http://www.emotiva.com/upa2.shtm

A lot of people (Including myself) are getting the power amp, I have heard good things about the pre amp.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Last edited by manlystanley; 12-09-2009 at 08:39 AM.
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Nice suggestion Stan. I've heard good things about their speakers too...

Forum Regular
    Thanks Stan, that does look like some fine equipmtent. Is it common to spend more on the pre-amp than the amplifier in the way of separates?

Quote Originally Posted by deaconblues06
    Thanks Stan, that does look like some fine equipmtent. Is it common to spend more on the pre-amp than the amplifier in the way of separates?

Hello Blues,
    Other more experienced people on this board will have better insight, but let me tell you mine. I think it just depends on what you want and your tastes. If you are new (and don't want to shell out so much money), what I suggest is that you do this: Get the emotiva power amp, then pay $85 or so for a used 20+ Adcom preamp (There are tons for sale). That's how I got mine and I love it. This way you can get into the game with minimal money. The only problem (like with mine) most older Adcom pre's don't come with remote controls.

Finally, you can spend the rest of your life trying to figure out what you want. People on this board with 30+ years experience are trying to figure out what the next upgrade will be. It's part of the fun. I got my first system for $90 (used).

-- Denon low end used receiver ($40).
    -- Medium grade used Cerwin Vega speakers ($50)

Loved this system to pieces. But, got tired of it and sold off the speakers. Then bought used Klipsch RB5-II's and fell in love with them. etc, etc.

There is no best option. It just depends on what you want to spend and your tastes.

Good luck. Also, please tell us what you got and how you like it (it's part of the fun).

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

I would tend to agree with MS on this one. The best option is different for each person and each situation. I would say that I have heard really good things about emotiva for entry level higher end components, they remind me of what Adcom was back in the 80's and early 90's and I still run a 545 MK2 Adcom as my main amp and love it. Getting a used preamp like a Adcom or Rotel would be an option but the Emotiva preamp has been reviewed by professionals and people on this site as well with good reviews and is a steal for a new unit. I would just follow your gut and your ears, do some listening and also take some advise from some people who were once in your position and I think you will do fine.

As far as the Denon stuff goes I used to sell Denon back when I sold better audio and video equipment back in the early and mid 90's and Denon was a very good component. Not sure how they would stack up against the Emo stuff but with 2 channel seperates being so cheap used I would be hard pressed to go with a new integrated when there are seperates all over the internet on ebay and audiogon that are very good components for little cost.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Or, here's an option, if you live close to DC:

A Nad 1020 preamp & Adcom GFA-535 amp: for $230... It's on DC's Craigslist.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Reply about Denon PMA 1060 Amp

Hello I just bought a Denon PMA 1060 amp about 3 weeks ago off of Craigs List for the original owner. I must say for a starter amp or a amp that you keep for twenty years you can't go wrong if the price is right. It is a warm full sounding amp that has plenty of low end punch at low to high volumes. I have had plenlt of different vintage Receivers not a/v junk, I think I have found the amp I want with the 1060 it pairs well with any speaker I have which I have 15 different pairs, From Jubal JBL's, Wharfedale saphire's 87 to Polk R2's a bunch more. Receivers from a Vintage Sony V7, Sony ES's to a Nad 7140 and a Denon DRA-300. I will say this the Denon 1060 sounds better than the Nad 7140 and the 2100 amp I have. almost as good as the SonyV7 maybe on some stuff even edges it. The biggest differance I have found if they sound equal then look at how will it hold up. The Denon PMA-1060 runs so much cooler than any of my other units it has to last. The hottest running unit I have is a Harman Kardon AVR-645 it runs so hot I put a fan on it because I did not trust the one that is built in to it because it never came on.

As a lot of the people have said it is up to you and your taste.

I would lean toward a warm amp and then take on the mission of finding the right speaker for the right room for the music you listen to good luck on this one.

Used stereo equipment is selling so cheap it is insane

The old saying is time and money.

How much time do you have to burn and How much money you don't need

Good luck

AR Newbie Registered Member

Reply about Denon 1060 Amp

Vintage Stereo Stuff]Hello I just bought a Denon PMA 1060 amp about 3 weeks ago off of Craigs List for the original owner. I must say for a starter amp or a amp that you keep for twenty years you can't go wrong if the price is right. It is a warm full sounding amp that has plenty of low end punch at low to high volumes. I have had plenlt of different vintage Receivers not a/v junk, I think I have found the amp I want with the 1060 it pairs well with any speaker I have which I have 15 different pairs, From Jubal JBL's, Wharfedale saphire's 87 to Polk R2's a bunch more. Receivers from a Vintage Sony V7, Sony ES's to a Nad 7140 and a Denon DRA-300. I will say this the Denon 1060 sounds better than the Nad 7140 and the 2100 amp I have. almost as good as the SonyV7 maybe on some stuff even edges it. The biggest differance I have found if they sound equal then look at how will it hold up. The Denon PMA-1060 runs so much cooler than any of my other units it has to last. The hottest running unit I have is a Harman Kardon AVR-645 it runs so hot I put a fan on it because I did not trust the one that is built in to it because it never came on.

As a lot of the people have said it is up to you and your taste.

I would lean toward a warm amp and then take on the mission of finding the right speaker for the right room for the music you listen to good luck on this one.

Used stereo equipment is selling so cheap it is insane

The old saying is time and money.

How much time do you have to burn and How much money you don't need

Good luck[/QUOTE]

Thread Information