Thread: Half Dead!!!

Half Dead!!!

The left channel of my Parasound just died. A few weeks ago it was slow to come on and I wasn't sure if it was the preamp, dac or amp. It had been working fine since then. Today I turned it on and it was dead. I hooked the amp to the preamp out of my adcom and narrowed it down that way. Its under warranty but they want the original receipt which has disappeared. I have every other freaking receipt but that one. I have the Visa tansaction from audio advisor. Now I need to see if AA has a copy of the transaction from Sept 08. I could be out a lot of dough if Parasound does not accept it.

The wake is on friday night. Lots of alcohol and music! Your all invited!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Ajani
    Really sorry to hear that....

Though on the bright side; if it is dead, you get a chance to satisfy the upgrade/replace itch that audiophiles always have....

So you could either upgrade to some JC1 Monos (or Emotiva XPA-1 if you want to spend approx. the same as the A21)... or if cash is real tight, try the Emotiva XPA-2.....

I'm going to fix it as long as its under $1K. If I were to buy a new amp it would be the Van Alstine FET Valve 550 triple die hybrid tube amp, over 500wpc at 4ohms and able to drive 1ohm loads or the 440H high current double die 400wpc solid state amp able to drive less than 1 ohm loads.

But if cash was tight I would try an Emotiva. It would probably sound great with my tube gear.

I'm currently using my Adcom with my DAC and it sounds very good. It's amazing how a good tube DAC can tame a SS amp.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Ajani
    Makes sense to go all Van Alstine as a replacement, considering how much you like your existing VA products and the customer service you've received from VA...

Forum Regular

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    The left channel of my Parasound just died. A few weeks ago it was slow to come on and I wasn't sure if it was the preamp, dac or amp. It had been working fine since then. Today I turned it on and it was dead. I hooked the amp to the preamp out of my adcom and narrowed it down that way. Its under warranty but they want the original receipt which has disappeared. I have every other freaking receipt but that one. I have the Visa tansaction from audio advisor. Now I need to see if AA has a copy of the transaction from Sept 08. I could be out a lot of dough if Parasound does not accept it.

The wake is on friday night. Lots of alcohol and music! Your all invited!
    Sorry to hear that! let me know the charge, as my A21 has no warranty, just in case!

Sorry to hear that

hope parasound accepts the warranty claim...
    were there any specific things you noticed before it died? could be something easy too...

Good luck!

Regards,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    I have the Visa tansaction from audio advisor. Now I need to see if AA has a copy of the transaction from Sept 08. I could be out a lot of dough if Parasound does not accept it.
    As long as you can provide documentation showing that you bought the amp from an authorized dealer, and the date, I don't see why Parasound should not be willing to accept that as proof of purchase. This is going to be a test case to see how customer-oriented and accommodating they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen B
    As long as you can provide documentation showing that you bought the amp from an authorized dealer, and the date, I don't see why Parasound should not be willing to accept that as proof of purchase. This is going to be a test case to see how customer-oriented and accommodating they are.

behold, parasound's warranty service is a *****.

really, it is, and buying from an internet dealer, won't help neither...
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

I was able to get a copy of the receipt from Audio Advisor.

I just got off the phone with Parasound and they were very accomodating. They apologized for the inconvience and are sending me out an original box and packing right away. And they are arrainging for Fed Ex to pick up the box all free of charge at my home. They said turn around to fix it is usually 12-24hours one they receive it. They are also sending me a free Parasound Halo T-shirt. It can't get any better than that. I'm a happy camper for now.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Just paying my respects. I look forward to seeing your posts for the next amp you decide on. You'll bounce back buddy...

that is kind of uncanny for a Parasound amp, this is the first time I have heard one of their amps just die without first being abused or ran to ultimate thermal levels beyond their operating range which is hard to do because almost any amp I know of in todays world or at least SS ones have thermal shutdown circuits built into them to keep this from happening. Sorry to hear this and I hope Parasound does you right with the warranty.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    ..... Its under warranty but they want the original receipt which has disappeared. ...... The wake is on friday night. Lots of alcohol and music! Your all invited!
    I'm so sorry!! Bummer..... I'll have a wake here in Virgina on Friday as well...

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Forum Regular
    This is a common problem with the A21s. I bought my first unit from AA, and after two weeks, the left channel started dying. They sent another one, which had a very noisy transformer. The third one works so far. I guess we get what we pay for

Well I suspect all brands have something wrong every now and then and the manufactures know this...that's why they have warranty's, and make it so hard to get them fix if you have no warranty...and that's why we buy a warranty...just in case.

My Adcom is over 15 years old and no problems....my Rotel has a little age and no problems....my Marantz seems to be louder on the left side than the right when listening to broadcst tv but other wise fine when playing movies or music and all warrantys have expired. My Paradigm, Klipsch, warrantys have expired...the only thing that has a warranty now is the Canton speakers and Musical Fidelity...If something does break, Im screwed.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Frenchie's right. anything can happen with electronic's. Things break. At least my Parasound has a 10yr warranty and Parasound seems very acommodating so far.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I just got my amp back today. It was a bad speaker relay. Parasound did a complete spec's check and stated it checks out to spec or better. They were a pleasure to deal with. They sent me a box to ship it in and they returned it within 1 week of receiving it. It did not cost me 1 dime and they sent me a Parasound long sleeve shirt for my troubles. I'm a happy camper.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Ajani
    I just got my amp back today. It was a bad speaker relay. Parasound did a complete spec's check and stated it checks out to spec or better. They were a pleasure to deal with. They sent me a box to ship it in and they returned it within 1 week of receiving it. It did not cost me 1 dime and they sent me a Parasound long sleeve shirt for my troubles. I'm a happy camper.
    Good to hear that you didn't have any trouble... But sad, cuz I was dying to hear your review of the Van Alstine Fet Valve Ultra+ 550 Amplifier... (At 280 watts, that hybrid beast is probably a more appropriate eventual upgrade for my 300 watt Emotiva than a 30 watt Class A would be)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Good to hear that you didn't have any trouble... But sad, cuz I was dying to hear your review of the Van Alstine Fet Valve Ultra+ 550 Amplifier... (At 280 watts, that hybrid beast is probably a more appropriate eventual upgrade for my 300 watt Emotiva than a 30 watt Class A would be)
    I actually auditioned the 550 in home and at Franks house. It's an awesome amp. Warmer sounding than my A21. I was going to buy it, but I got $400 off the regular price of the A21and paid $1750 for it while the 550 would have cost me $2200. I should have spent the money and got the 550. Its very dynamic and smooth with great transparency. The top end is better with the A21 and bass is a little tighter but the 550 just sounded better overall.

His new 550 can be had with triple the number of MOSFET's for more current and dynamics. It's supposed to be a real beast with great speed, dymanics, depth and bass. I might sell the A21 in the coming year and buy the 550 or his SS 440H with the double die option.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I might sell the A21 in the coming year and buy the 550 or his SS 440H with the double die option.
    I'm glad you got your unit fixed. If/when you replace the unit, don't get anything that requires crutches like "speaker relays". My '81 Threshold Stasis has been utterly reliable and uses no protection circuitry of any kind (has thirty two 150 watt output devices for 100 watts/channel operation) I prefer a unit with a robust output stage that obviates the need for such.

rw

Thread Information