Forum Regular

Hafler SR2800 Vs Adcom GFA 555

Does any one know which amp is better? I could buy an used Hafler SR2800 for about $450. and Adcom for $260. Thanks for advice.
    Thomas

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Wait a second...

Quote Originally Posted by thng
    Does any one know which amp is better? I could buy an used Hafler SR2800 for about $450. and Adcom for $260. Thanks for advice.
    Thomas
    Good lord, what trying to do? The SR2800 I'm aware of pumps out something like 700 watts per channel. The GFA 555 is a beast itself at 200 watts per channel. Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison here.

Here's the thing. Unless you've got rediculously inefficient speakers, or want to get arrested for disturbing the peace, the GFA-555 is probably enough amp for you.
    This is one case where I'd even say the Adcom has a slightly more neutral, more refined sound to it.

Nothing wrong with Haflers at all, but I wouldn't buy the SR2800 to run speakers in my dorm, apartment, or living room....my band uses a few Hafler SR-2300's to drive stage monitors.

I can only assume you are looking for tons of power...I'd suggest taking a look at Crown, too...I've heard they're extremely reliable under stressful conditions.

Just curious...what speakers are you planning on powering with this amp?

Forum Regular
    I wanted to buy an afforadble (under $500) used amp for a pair of Polk Audio RT800i speaker. The above two amps are under $500 and I want to use it for karaoke sometimes (just for home use). I think that the Hafler is designed for live sound so maybe it is better for karaoke. I watch movies about 50%, listen to music 40% and sing karaoke 10%. Please let me know what you think. Thanks again.
    Thomas

Well, to be honest I don't think I'd use the Hafler for a home theater/music/karaoke thing in your house. Your speakers can only handle up to a max of 250 watts each. You'd have almost 3 times that available in the Hafler, you don't want to destroy your speakers, and that's a lot of useless power for your system.

200 watts in that Adcom will make your music ear bleeding loud. 700 watts would be pretty sick in a house and probably contribute to severe hearing loss. Of course you wouldn't be exposed to it long because the police would be arresting you for domestic disturbance.

I've had good luck with Adcom equipment and I think the gfa-555 is a good amplifier.
    I'm curious as to why you are shopping for an amp. What are you using to power your speakers now? Do you really need 200 watts per channel?

Forum Regular
    I used to have an Adcom amp before and the sound is pretty good. I sold it and bought a Sony receiver but not happy with it. Therefore I want to buy another amp which has enough power to drive my speakers.

I understand...The Adcom will be more than enough for you. You may wish to find a good pre-amp to go with the Adcom.
    I have two Adcom gfa-535II amps powering my Studio 20's quite well. 60 watts per channel. That's more than enough power for me. You can find gfa-535's for about $100-115 on ebay. If you feel you need more power, I the 545 or 555 are great amps.

I also use older NAD and Audiosource amps at home right now. They work as good as my Adcoms and might be found for a bit less money.

Good luck.

Forum Regular
    Thank Kexodusc,
    I will get the 555

Thread Information