Forum Regular

Smile Great Find mcintosh 2500 ?

whats up guys i picked a Mcintosh MC2500 amp out of the TRASH last week
    Any info you guys have on this unit I will so be gratefull

I knew of the Mcintosh Brand but when i tried to pick up the amp i need help from the guy riding with me i could only guess what else was in the trash the trash men have a 50lb max weight the MC2500 weighs 130lbs so it jus sat and the side of the road for a while
    Mcintosh was pretty good stuff never really knew any body to own one ive been a fan of hi end audio for a long time i have some older B&W speakers i use to play on an older pioneer intergrated reciver. the MC2500 is rated @ 500 watts x 2 @ 0.02 THD the AMP is a authrosied Mcintosh repair shop being fixed im looking for a decent preamp and some speakers to be able to handle this sort of power i was told by a friend who used to tour with the DEAD said thats the same amp used to power the wall of sound
    SEE PICS

/Users/patricksalvant/Desktop/MC2500.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Great Find mcintosh 2500 ?-mc2500_front_07.jpg   Great Find mcintosh 2500 ?-mc2500_top_02.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

OMG!! I you don't want it, I'll take it

Quote Originally Posted by hifiLA
    whats up guys i picked a Mcintosh MC2500 amp out of the TRASH last week
    Any info you guys have on this unit I will so be gratefull

I knew of the Mcintosh Brand but when i tried to pick up the amp i need help from the guy riding with me i could only guess what else was in the trash the trash men have a 50lb max weight the MC2500 weighs 130lbs so it jus sat and the side of the road for a while
    SEE PICS

/Users/patricksalvant/Desktop/MC2500.jpg
    The 2500 is a vintage, high-power model last made around 1990. Audio Classics has a couple for sale right now: the cheaper one for $3000.

The unit you snagged might not be working, but almost certainly can be repaired -- go for it. Or send it to me: I'll pay shipping not withstanding the 150 lb. weight.

Check out these sites ...

Forum Regular

thanks

thanks for the reply but 500watt x2 what do people run with this thing.

Maggie 1.6 might do the trick. How about a passive preamp?

you lucky bastard!!! Congrats

You can basically chose to drive any speakers on the planet.

jra

Send It To Me ...

thanks for the reply but 500watt x2 what do people run with this thing.
    ... I'll figure something out.

Oh yeah

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Maggie 1.6 might do the trick. How about a passive preamp?

you lucky bastard!!! Congrats

You can basically chose to drive any speakers on the planet.

jra
    I'd love to try it with my 1.6's

i'll take it

500watt x2 what do people run with this thing.
    very big, powerful, and (since it's an expensive amp) they will mostly be used with expensive speakers...

but, still, i'll take it...

from now on, my biggest dream is owning a real mcintosh amp...

you lucky bastard,

Get them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Nice, get it fixed up.

What do people run with this thing? The same thing you'd give to a machinegun-toting, cigar-smoking, 512 pound gorilla -- whatever it wants.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

Smile MC 2500 repair

the amp is being fixed as we speak in New Orleans right now. the out put transzisters were blown and misc parts $750.00 repair job . I need a preamp any body have any suggestions what to get or what NOT to get . Thanks

What NOT to get ?!?

the amp is being fixed as we speak in New Orleans right now. the out put transzisters were blown and misc parts $750.00 repair job . I need a preamp any body have any suggestions what to get or what NOT to get . Thanks
    First of all, I'd guess the guy who through out your MC2500 would be feeling like an idiot if he were following our discussion. Assuming the unit is in reasonable cosmetic condition, you could get >$2000 for it on eBay or at Audiogon, so the $750 repair is a no-brainer. By the way, if your repair service is officially McIntoshed authorized, so much the better: advertising that the unit was recently serviced by an authorized repairer would boost its value in the event that you sold it.

I'd say there's a very long list of preamps you shouldn't choose. A nice option would be a McIntosh preamp of the same or slightly later vintage. Check eBay: as I recall, there's a C712 preamp currently on the block. That model is a very nice, fairly basic Mac with remote control; it should sell for $800 or a little less if in 7/10 or better condition.

I note from pictures on the Berner site that the MC2500 surprizingly does not have balanced, (XLR), input connectors. So the C15 is worth considering; it's quite similar to the C712, above, but doesn't have balanced outputs. If you don't need a remote, the C710 is otherwise identical to the C712. Either the C15 or the C710 would be cheaper than C712.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    What a find!! Congrats. There are about ten or twelve of us modifying our New Years' resolutions to start dumpster diving right now.
    I like the Feonor's suggestion of the C15...what a serious contender for an amp section and totally on the cheap.

Cheers

All I ever find in the garbage is trash. Congrats! Great find. Drive any speakers you want.

Who's up for some dumpster diving this weekend? Yogi is off sleeping so we don't have to worry about his cut.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    All I ever find in the garbage is trash. Congrats! Great find. Drive any speakers you want.

Who's up for some dumpster diving this weekend? Yogi is off sleeping so we don't have to worry about his cut.
    if you find another pair of advents, could you send them to me please? they're like a 'collectors item' here...

my Luxman pd-282 tt came out of the trash too...

what people throw away these days...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I need a preamp any body have any suggestions what to get ...
    Musical Fidelity X-PreV3? I'd add it to your short list. Don't know how much synergy it'd have with the Mac, but it's worth a listen...small, though.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    hey guys i work in real estate i do termite inspections so the house the amp was found was vacant the owner was in a nursinng home. so the owners family sold his house and moved him out im thinking of calling the old owners to see if they might the rest of the system but i have a feeling it all went in the trash , im sure the rest of the componets were light enough for the trash man to pick up

Forum Regular
    yes the repair is being done by a officially McIntoshed authorized, service center

That's a sad thought

hey guys i work in real estate i do termite inspections so the house the amp was found was vacant the owner was in a nursinng home. so the owners family sold his house and moved him out im thinking of calling the old owners to see if they might the rest of the system but i have a feeling it all went in the trash , im sure the rest of the componets were light enough for the trash man to pick up
    Let's hope the 2500 was put out only because it wasn't working.

Where I live, any electrical components (or any apparently salvageable stuff) is scoped up by passersby before the trashman arrives. That is, if I have something that's not worth it to repair, (e.g. an old TV or computer), I don't feel guilty putting it out with the garbage because it rarely actually gets to the landfill.

Thread Information