Forum Regular

Smile Giant leap into the world of separates

I've been scouring the web for reviews and specs for the past month, looking for a new A/V receiver to replace my Denon AVR-1601, which broke down on me a while back (like they all do). I've posted here, and at other similar sites, and I've received alot of helpful feedback so far.

After hours of research I had it narrowed down to 4 or 5 receivers in the $750-1000 range. These units were: Denon's AVR-3805, Yamaha's RX-V2400, Pioneer's Elite VSX-47TX, Pioneer's Elite VSX-55TXi, and Harman/Kardon's AVR7200. All these receivers have great features, and plenty of power to drive my system, but I, being the perfectionist that I am, got caught up in try to find the absolute best buy for my budget.

I started looking into AudiogoN auctions, and various regions of Ebay, and I found alot of high end separates for very reasonable prices. Some of the brands I've been looking at are not limited to: Parasound, Outlaw Audio, Adcom, Aragon, Rogue Audio, Acurus, and I've even stumbled upon some used CinePro and Krell units that fit my budget.

Since I'm looking at auctions and classifieds, I might not be able to match brands, but this shouldn't make much difference in audio quality, mostly just asthetic, which is not a top priority to me. I would prefer a pre/pro coupled with a 5 or 7 channel amp. I may even consider going with a Yamaha RX-V1400, or equivalent, as a pre/pro.

My system is comprised of Klipsch, both classic and modern. My mains are the Forte II's, and my surrounds are KSB 3.1's. I'm currently using a BIC America center, but I'm in the market for a Klipsch Academy, if I can find one. If not, I'll probably buy an RC-7. I'm using a DIY subwoofer system comprised of two 12" 4ohm woofers in a sealed, down-firing cabinet, fed by a Hafler DH-200 amp.

Since all my speakers are very efficient, power is not a big issue, but I would prefer something with at least 100w/pc at 8ohms. I would also like tone controls on the preamp, unless a nice EQ can be added, while staying under budget. I don't plan on moving into 6.1 or 7.1 in the near future, but it would be nice to have 7 channel capability on the pre/pro, then I could add a stereo amp later, if my amp was only 5 channels. I use my system for music and HT equally, so obviously the processor must handle at least DD and DTS decoding.

I would like to stay under $1000, but I'm willing to go as high as $1200 for preamp, processor, and at least 5 channels of amplification. Note that these figures are based on preowned, B-stock, online retailers, and that sort. MSRP will probably be around $2500-$3000 total. I've located an Outlaw 950 pre/pro for about $550, shipped, but I doubt I'll have decided by the time the auction ends. If you can point me to some good deals you've found, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm still considering the A/V receiver route, as there are plenty of great units out there, but I would like to step up into separates, if possible.

My car isn't drivable right now, and I don't live close enough to any good audio/HiFi shops to audition them, so I'm leaving it in the capable hands of the audio community to lend me their ears. I know that it's all relative to the ear of the beholder, but I trust those who have owned or auditioned many brands and models over the years.

I'll keep you posted on my finds, and if and when I ever settle on which to purchase.

Forum Regular

After hours of research I had it narrowed down to 4 or 5 receivers in the $750-1000 range. These units were: Denon's AVR-3805,

The 3805 was just reviewed by David Ranada in Sound & Vision, Jul/Aug issue. Most favorably.
    mtrycrafts

Thread Information