Bel Canto REF500M Class D monoblock power amps

I recently picked up a pair of these brand new at a used price on EBay. Very much enjoying them.

I'm using them as part of an active bi-amp setup. They're powering the mid+ribbon drivers of my Magnepan 3.6R speakers. (I have a pair of 1000ASP ICEPower modules on the bass panels.)

These are an upgrade for me, from an Acoustic Reality eAR 502 dual mono block amp, which used the 500ASP ICEPower modules. By contrast, the Bel Cantos use the new(er) 125ASX2 ICEPower modules, which put out about 550 watts/channel at 4 ohms in bridged mode:

ICEpower — Consumer & Professional Audio

It's a definite improvement. I think the mids are about the same, but the highs are much sweeter, mellower, and easier on the ears. With the old amp, there were times when the highs could be glaring or harsh at high volumes. None of that whatsoever with the Bel Cantos.

It seems like the resolution has improved as well, but it's hard to tell without the ability to A/B the two amps.

Anyway, they're highly recommended. I can't speak to the bass-producing features of the amps, but they definitely work well for mids and highs.
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    I recently picked up a pair of these brand new at a used price on EBay. Very much enjoying them.

I'm using them as part of an active bi-amp setup. They're powering the mid+ribbon drivers of my Magnepan 3.6R speakers. (I have a pair of 1000ASP ICEPower modules on the bass panels.)

These are an upgrade for me, from an Acoustic Reality eAR 502 dual mono block amp, which used the 500ASP ICEPower modules. By contrast, the Bel Cantos use the new(er) 125ASX2 ICEPower modules, which put out about 550 watts/channel at 4 ohms in bridged mode:

It's a definite improvement. I think the mids are about the same, but the highs are much sweeter, mellower, and easier on the ears. With the old amp, there were times when the highs could be glaring or harsh at high volumes. None of that whatsoever with the Bel Cantos.

It seems like the resolution has improved as well, but it's hard to tell without the ability to A/B the two amps.

Anyway, they're highly recommended. I can't speak to the bass-producing features of the amps, but they definitely work well for mids and highs.
    Congrats.....You have some outstanding amps there...enjoy!
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Ajani
    Congrats!

It's always good to hear more persons achieving good results with Class D amps... Sounds like the only lingering criticism (occasional harshness in the treble) maybe a thing of the past...

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
    It's always good to hear more persons achieving good results with Class D amps... Sounds like the only lingering criticism (occasional harshness in the treble) maybe a thing of the past...
    I should add, the harshness or glare in the old amp really was a pretty rare thing -- something like a high violin solo at high volume might trigger it. I guess if you listen to violin solos at high volume at lot, you might find it more frequent.
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

I have heard a lot of good things about the newer class D amps from companies like Bel Canto, Nuforce, among others like Class D audio which I am real interested in and will probably be the way I go once I upgrade power amps since they for one are very efficient, very low heat building and also do not weigh a lot compared to the power put out and the most important thing is that they seem to be besting their SS competition in the A and A/B world which to me is the most important and the other things are just a perk.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07 View Post
    I have heard a lot of good things about the newer class D amps from companies like Bel Canto, Nuforce, among others like Class D audio which I am real interested in and will probably be the way I go once I upgrade power amps since they for one are very efficient, very low heat building and also do not weigh a lot compared to the power put out and the most important thing is that they seem to be besting their SS competition in the A and A/B world which to me is the most important and the other things are just a perk.
    Yep, we seem to have the same opinion on Class D amplification...

However, I think smaller size and lower weight are even more than just a perk... Not to sound like a sissy, but whenever I have to move my 75lb, 19" x 17" x 8" Emotiva XPA-2 amp around (which has no handles and is really hard to balance) I wish I had a Class D Audio SDS-470 instead (same power as the XPA-2 but light and just 12" x 12" x 4")
    Last edited by Ajani; 10-31-2011 at 12:16 PM.

I'm glad to see another fan of Class D amps.

Here is a thread on the ICE power modules that Bel Canto uses for a fraction of the cost-

Icepower 125ASX2 C&C!

For $266 I just might have to buy one and compare it to the Class D Audio unit.

I would like to pair one of these or the Class D Audio units with the Grant Fidelity DAC/Pre-11 tube units. I was going to buy a Little Dot MKIII but it has problems with DC coupled amps.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Thanks for the link. Looks worth an experiment.
    I like sulung tang.

Thread Information