Thread: Bada DC-222 amp

Bada DC-222 amp

Since I have bought the Maverick DAC-01 DAC/Pre and the Fio D-3 DAC, I have become very curious about chinese built audio gear for their great performance to price ratio. I don't know that I would be willing to shell out serious cash for a reference system made of chinese gear just yeat. But all my gear has been about getting the most bang for the buck. My main interest in the chinese gear is for my secondary sytems in my bedroom and basement.

I recently stumbled upon the Bada DC-222 hybrid tube integrated amp. Does any one have any experience with this amp? I am really curious as to how it sounds. It is a little too pricey for me to just take a leap of faith and buy it.

Pacific Valve & Electric Company Bada DC-222

Another piece of kit that I am looking at is the Grant Fidelity DAC-11 which is the new version of the GF DAC-09. And I am pretty sure that Maverick Audio is going to release a clone of the DAC-11 soon. It looks like it can be used as a tube DAC and Preamp just like the Maverick but better.

Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 D/A Converter

This Tube amp from HLLY audio has peaked my interest as well-

Music Curve D-2020-KT100 Vacuum Tube Amplifier [D-2020-KT100] - $420.00 : DAC,Audio Amplifier,Hifi Amplifier,Tube Amplifier,Hlly Audio, Hlly Electronics

I am just throwing this out there, but maybe we should start section on the forum for chinese gear or cheap or budget gear. It could bring about some interesting discussion and aid people in making decisions in buying some of this gear. Although I have mixed emotions about this as I would prefer to buy american made products if at all possible.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Fellow fowl,

I had a Bada DC-222 tube hybrid for a couple of years. It's a beautiful piece and I thought it sounded good until I acquired my first SET amp, a cheapo Miniwatt. I sold the Bada as the MW totally spoiled me with it's superior SQ. I rolled some Amperex tubes into the Bada but it still gave little in the way of tube warmth. I also owned a Yaqin VK 2100 tube hybrid which is much cheaper than the Bada and sounds as good or better but sold it as well. I've had my fill of tube hybrids which in my two cases turned out to be poor compromises. A tube pre and ss amp seems a better choice.

Forum Regular

I agree with the Tube pre and SS amp. I am cosidering buying an AVA T-8+ preamp and selling my hybrid preamp to gain some more warmth. The sound is still not totally as warm as I would like it to be but it is close. I am going to roll some more tubes in my DAC and Pre and see what comes of it. My system is not bright by any means and even leans to the warmer side of neutral. I still have some brightly recorded music that I don't enjoy playing on my main system but sounds fine on one of my secondary systems with tone controls where I can dial down some of the brightness. I should have had my AVA Hybrid preamp built with tone controls and tone bypass.

Thanks for the info on the amps PG!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I agree with the Tube pre and SS amp. I am cosidering buying an AVA T-8+ preamp and selling my hybrid preamp to gain some more warmth. The sound is still not totally as warm as I would like it to be ...
    It's refreshing to hear a person who wants tubes candidly as a matter of preference, and not pretend that they are necessarily more accurate than s/s.

Thread Information