Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Ajani

Emotiva UPA-2 - Pulling Trigger in 24 HRs - Help Me, I'm Scared!

As I'm sure many of you aware, I'm a cheap @$$hole and am hence always on the lookout for a good deal to get my HiFi back on track... I contacted Emotiva and got a quote to have a UPA-2 delivered to me... I plan to pull the trigger tomorrow...

Any last words of advice or warning from Emotiva users??? (I know their are several of you on this forum)... I figure $300 is a good way to test the Emotiva waters without making a serious investment, so I can always upgrade to something ridiculous from them later on if needs be...

I will be buying a pair of Revel Concerta F12s to mate with the UPA-2 shortly...

My Benchmark DAC1 will serve as DAC and Preamp....

Wow, that's pretty cheap. I hope the shipping works out! Keep us posted, and make sure you have some pics to show when you've done setting it all up

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    As I'm sure many of you aware, I'm a cheap @$$hole and am hence always on the lookout for a good deal to get my HiFi back on track... I contacted Emotiva and got a quote to have a UPA-2 delivered to me... I plan to pull the trigger tomorrow...

Any last words of advice or warning from Emotiva users??? (I know their are several of you on this forum)... I figure $300 is a good way to test the Emotiva waters without making a serious investment, so I can always upgrade to something ridiculous from them later on if needs be...

I will be buying a pair of Revel Concerta F12s to mate with the UPA-2 shortly...

My Benchmark DAC1 will serve as DAC and Preamp....
    Let us know how the amp works out and how they mate with the Revels....always happy to see a fellow Revel owner around these parts as we are few and far between.

nightflier
    Ajani,

Do you have any other speakers to compare them to?

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Wow, that's pretty cheap. I hope the shipping works out! Keep us posted, and make sure you have some pics to show when you've done setting it all up
    LOL.. yeah... I can't wait to have it all setup and take some pics...

I had 2 choices in amplification really: order something online (and pay the heavy duties) or buy from my local dealer... My Local dealer sells Revel, Mark Levinson and Krell... So the cheapest amplification he has is the Krell S300i for $2.5K... So between Emotiva at a approx $400 (shipping included) and probably another $160 in duties versus $2.5K for Krell, i felt the Emotiva would make a very reasonable start...

I have read only good things about Emotiva amps.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Ajani,

Do you have any other speakers to compare them to?
    Not much available locally... But Revel is one of my favorites from back when I lived in Toronto... My first choice would have been Monitor Audio, but they're not available here and would be way too expensive to order...

Other options from another local dealer (appears we have only 2 in Jamaica) are PSB, Paradigm and Definitive Technology... I have yet to be impressed by Def Tech or PSB and I have never heard Paradigm... Oh yeah, my preferred dealer also has KEF, but I didn't think too much of the KEF IQ90s I heard...

nightflier

That's $260 - nearly the cost of the whole amp!

So between Emotiva at a approx $400 (shipping included) and probably another $160 in duties...
    What could possibly convince an audiophile to move to Jamaica? I'm sure the sun and Kingston nightlife are nice, but wasn't the Haiti earthquake and Katrina a little too close to home?

Ajani
    What could possibly convince an audiophile to move to Jamaica? I'm sure the sun and Kingston nightlife are nice, but wasn't the Haiti earthquake and Katrina a little too close to home?
    Luckily neither Katrina nor the Earthquake caused any damage here...

As for the extra price: that's exactly the problem with getting HiFi here.... Shipping and duties are insane... And the stuff priced fairly (local dealers) is extremely limited...

I was initially thinking of ordering a $1450 Naim Nait 5i, but by the time I add shipping and duties it will cost me just a fraction less than a $2500 Krell S300i from my local dealer... So just about anything mid-priced is out, as I might as well just save up for the Krell at those prices...

nightflier
    Seems a little fishy. How do the local dealers do it?

Ajani
    Seems a little fishy. How do the local dealers do it?
    It's not that fishy... Local Dealers don't buy anywhere near retail and (I believe) get better rates for duties than individuals... So they can sell at near US MSRP...

Suspended
    Good for you. Looking forward to hearing your experience.

I don't like Reggae.... oh no.... I love it...

Ajani
    I hope I end up as happy with my purchase as this guy:

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=9036

Well after reading all of the forum banter, I started wondering if I was missing out on something by not having more expensive amps. So... I took the plunge and ordered a new Krell S300i integrated ($2500) for my 2 channel set up ( 2 Polk LSi9's, an Onkyo AVR as a pre, an Emo UPA-2, a Wadia 170i, and a Marantz SA8003). I received the Krell and hooked up tonight. No bash intended here on Krell, but what a huge disappointment! Compared to my Emo, the bass was totally lost, depth and detail were horrible. I was just shocked. I fiddled around with it for about an hour, yanked it out, hooked my Emo back up and all is well again. The Krell will be returned tomorrow. Please forgive me! I will never doubt again!!
    I rather doubt the Emotiva would be the equal of a Krell (I'm hoping it will be up to Rotel Level - it should be based on direct sales) but I would love to be as happy with my purchase as that guy...

dr bud

Emo Krell

Doen't sound like you gave that krell much of a chance to break in.I will be interested to see how the emo works for those speakers.Revels are nice.Should show short commings in the amp if there are any.Was thinking about getting emo's xpa 3 for my sourrounds.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I have a hard time imagining that Emo topping a Krell but maybe that guys ears just don't agree with Krell...Topping the usual basic Rotel/NAD/Parasound stuff, easier to believe...mine was a good step up from my NAD, Rotel,and Adcom amps, and this from a multi-channel amp. Not a massive, revolutionary night and day difference, but worthwhile one.

One thing you might consider - I find mine has a more neutral sound (and while I've only heard 2 other models their presentations were fairly consistent, though one had more bass authority) and is not as bright as my Adcom or even Rotels (which is I sometimes wish wasn't the case) but a bit smoother in the midrange and not as bloated or warm as my NAD amps are - Which isn't to say it's perfectly in the middle because it's not that simple. Hard to describe until you hear for yourself. But if you're a big fan of bright or warm leaning amps, it may not suit your personal preferences. I know one person whose ear I trust that basically admitted the amp was a good product but just not to his personal liking (obviously he, like me doesn't believe they all sound the same). I admit I do wish mine was just a hair livelier, but the improvements in other elements, and the extra gobs of power make it a pleasant compromise. If you're not super fussy you'll probably be quite happy. That's the downside of buying from companies like Emotiva and Outlaw. Gotta buy to try. I lucked out, and actually I think Pixelthis even enjoys his.

Looking forward to your review. Wonder how the Benchmark DAC 1 works with it? What was the last amp you owned?

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I have a hard time imagining that Emo topping a Krell but maybe that guys ears just don't agree with Krell...
    Yep, my thoughts as well... Likely, he just didn't like the Krell's presentation, also it's clear he didn't give it much of a chance; bought it, hooked it up one night, played it, didn't like it and returned it the next morning...

Topping the usual basic Rotel/NAD/Parasound stuff, easier to believe...mine was a good step up from my NAD, Rotel,and Adcom amps, and this from a multi-channel amp. Not a massive, revolutionary night and day difference, but worthwhile one.
    That's what I'm looking for, something better than or at least on the level of those brands..

One thing you might consider - I find mine has a more neutral sound (and while I've only heard 2 other models their presentations were fairly consistent, though one had more bass authority) and is not as bright as my Adcom or even Rotels (which is I sometimes wish wasn't the case) but a bit smoother in the midrange and not as bloated or warm as my NAD amps are - Which isn't to say it's perfectly in the middle because it's not that simple. Hard to describe until you hear for yourself. But if you're a big fan of bright or warm leaning amps, it may not suit your personal preferences. I know one person whose ear I trust that basically admitted the amp was a good product but just not to his personal liking (obviously he, like me doesn't believe they all sound the same). I admit I do wish mine was just a hair livelier, but the improvements in other elements, and the extra gobs of power make it a pleasant compromise. If you're not super fussy you'll probably be quite happy. That's the downside of buying from companies like Emotiva and Outlaw. Gotta buy to try. I lucked out, and actually I think Pixelthis even enjoys his.
    I like either neutral or lively presentations, so hopefully the Emo should fit the bill...

Looking forward to your review. Wonder how the Benchmark DAC 1 works with it? What was the last amp you owned?
    I had a Rotel RB-1080 (which I really liked) and before that a NAD C352 (which I didn't like)..

My Revel dealer has the Concerta line paired with a nice big Marantz AVR in their demo room. Something with a 8 in the model name.

They really sound nice with that setup. Not sure you need a ton of watts to get good sound from the Revels.

From experience the Rotels mate very well with the Revel sound as i've owned a few. Revels are very revealing speakers so it makes finding a good amp match difficult.

I've used everything from a huge NAD amp to $100 AVRs and each sound totally different with my F30s.

Good luck on your search.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    My Revel dealer has the Concerta line paired with a nice big Marantz AVR in their demo room. Something with a 8 in the model name.

They really sound nice with that setup. Not sure you need a ton of watts to get good sound from the Revels.

From experience the Rotels mate very well with the Revel sound as i've owned a few. Revels are very revealing speakers so it makes finding a good amp match difficult.

I've used everything from a huge NAD amp to $100 AVRs and each sound totally different with my F30s.

Good luck on your search.
    I Never got to try Rotel and Revel together... I had Mission Speakers back when I had the Rotels... But I always thought Rotel and Revel would be a good combo (for my tastes)...

The Concertas definitely don't need a lot of power, since they are efficient speakers (90.5db sensitivity), I don't listen at concert level volumes and I have a medium sized room... So I'm sure the 125 watts of the UPA-2 will be far more than I'll ever need.... I'd have gone for a low powered Class A amp (if I had found one for a decent price)...
    Last edited by Ajani; 03-04-2010 at 10:11 AM.

Ajani
    The Trigger has been pulled... The UPA-2 should be shipping early next week (so I should receive it by mid to end of next week)...

Ajani
    Dayuuuum.... A setup this puuurty almost tempts me to toss the Computer Audio and start listening to CDs again:

nightflier
    Hmmm, an interesting comparison would be between Emotiva and Outlaw. I really wonder how the Emotiva UPA-1 would compare to the Outlaw M2200.

The space ship look of Emotiva gear is one thing I don't like, especially in a 2 channel system (where I much prefer a traditional look). For HT I wouldn't mind...

Ajani
    Hmmm, an interesting comparison would be between Emotiva and Outlaw. I really wonder how the Emotiva UPA-1 would compare to the Outlaw M2200.
    UPA-1 : Look pretty.

M2200 : Look like pancake.

Comparison Done.

nightflier
    So you're just buying based on looks? I thought better of you, LOL.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    The space ship look of Emotiva gear is one thing I don't like, especially in a 2 channel system (where I much prefer a traditional look). For HT I wouldn't mind...
    Europeans! Hmmmph!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information