Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The CT6 thread

Suspended

The CT6 thread

I've been speaking about the CT6 on a couple other threads but wanted to start one to consolidate things.

Where to start? The CT6 transformed my system. I guess I didn't realize how much a preamp can play in the overall sound. The one stand out character in my mind is the bass response. It may be one of the best I've heard ever, all things considered. It's very accurate. You can tell the difference from disc to disc. It's also very "musical" but I don't mean that in a warm fuzzy sense of the word, it's like detail and timing. Like on a Return To Forever acoustic track Stanley Clarke's fingering and sliding was incredible. The Composite Triode Technology was said to have more current but I didn't realize that would effect the power amp as well in terms of controlling the bass. Although the MV60's use EL-34's the bass is astounding. I used Paula Cole to show some difference between the CJ and Krell when Bobsticks visited, I wish he could hear it now. Everything is controlled and the low bass on the first track may have gone just as low as with the Krell. That's hard to judge by memory and it may have seemed so because of the excellent control. I think adding the CT6 to my system has taken any compromise between tubes and solid state away. CJ may have built the bridge.

The detail throughout the frequency range and sound stage is amazing. I was taken back when I first got my CJ gear at the separation and definition of multiple vocals but the CT6 takes it to a whole other level. Brass and sax are mezmorizing, having a perfect balance between being too warm and offensive. You can hear the detail of the horns like on trumpet it sometimes has a bit of a waver as the air goes through. As I stated on another thread the vocals don't seem euphonic but have more of a natural presence. The CT6 is definitely not as forgiving on bad recordings as the PV14ls2. The CT6 is not aggressive in it's presentation yet drums and cymbals have the proper snap and punch, music sounds nimble and unrestrained. I actually found myself able to listen at a lower "normal listening level" due to the presentation being more dynamic. Although, I found myself getting into the music and wanting to turn it up more.

One thing I did find odd about a preamp at this price and I suspect maybe it couldn't be helped, the step attenuator has a very loud click as you turn the volume up or down. I mean loud enough to hear clearly while sitting in your listening chair. I may email CJ to affirm this being normal but I did see it noted in a review I read.

Even with that I am thrilled to be able to own a piece of gear of this quality. I have been fortunate enough to hear a lot of expensive audio gear. Owning the CT6 or not it would have gone in my memory of one of the top most impressive. More people should know about it because it shatters any stereotype of tube gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I've been speaking about the CT6 on a couple other threads but wanted to start one to consolidate things.

Where to start? The CT6 transformed my system. I guess I didn't realize how much a preamp can play in the overall sound. ...
    The detail throughout the frequency range and sound stage is amazing. I was taken back when I first got my CJ gear at the separation and definition of multiple vocals but the CT6 takes it to a whole other level.
    Congradulations, Mr P. I'm glad that your CT6 is sounding like a great investment.

... Although I suspect the phrase, "a whole new level", has a more subtle implication in your case than for many of us.

Suspended
    The PV14ls2 is a good preamp but the difference between it and the CT6 is not subtle. I realize audio is subjective. I have an open window to return the CT6 and would have if an appreciable improvement wasn't noticed. I'll have to get Frenchmon back over for a second opinion and to see how he feels about any gain. If some one was comparing the two even if they weren't in tune enough to pick up on the difference in sound stage and detail, the bass response is very evident. If you could hear it you wouldn't believe that type of control and low end detail was coming from tubes.

[quote=Mr Peabody]The PV14ls2 is a good preamp but the difference between it and the CT6 is not subtle. I realize audio is subjective. I have an open window to return the CT6 and would have if an appreciable improvement wasn't noticed. I'll have to get Frenchmon back over for a second opinion and to see how he feels about any gain. If some one was comparing the two even if they weren't in tune enough to pick up on the difference in sound stage and detail, the bass response is very evident. If you could hear it you wouldn't believe that type of control and low end detail was coming from tubes.[/quote]
    I might because I think I'm getting it with my Sonic Frontiers Line 1.

Give some thought to tube rolling. I recall you've said that the CJ recommends against it, but doing so is unlikely to have dire consequences, and different tubes can make a noticable difference.

Forum Regular
    Congrats Mr. P. I am really glad you are happy with your purchase. I assume your system before was great, based on frenchmons' comments and its nice to see you can improve on a good thing. Another real plus is that you didn't have to spend a whole lot of money to upgrade. That is relatively speaking I guess; but w.r.t. audiophile gear the cost was relatively low. Wise choice! Congrats again and I hope you enjoy for a long time.

Suspended
    Thanks Devuonoste.

I totally agree with you Mr.P, a good pre amp can make a huge difference. I found that out with my Van Alstine Hybrid Tube preamp. And your right, a good preamp is unforgiving of bad recordings.

Glad to hear your enjoying the CT6!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Congrats Mr.P on your new addition.
    It is always quite the experience when you change a component to what you think is already a very good set-up. Sometimes it is subtle and you scratch your head debating the cost. (Though not normally at the price levels I get my gear..... ) Sometimes it is night and day and that is what keeps feeding the urge to update.......

Mr Peabody...I'm kind late to this party, but congrats are in order....and I cant wait to get over to your place...seems like a bunch of stuff has been coming up every time I want to come over. I've sent you a PM. I cant wait to hear the new toy. And I can bring the Analysis Plus cable to see if they are as good as I think or if I am really delusional like my wife says.

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Suspended
    My wife isn't interested in my hobby either. However, the other day I was listening to her favorite Tracy Chapman CD through the new CT6 and she actually sat down and listened to several songs. I checked outside and on the news because I thought hell froze over

I exchanged some emails with the sales rep I got my CT6 from. I wanted to share some of his comments. He expresses the same sentiments regarding the CT6 as I do but says it better.

"When cj went to the Cascade Triode design, first implemented on the ART and then the ACT and finally to the CT series, I felt as though they had achieved a real breakthrough in preamp design, be it solid state or tube. The last preamp I heard that moved things this far forward was the Krell KBL back in the late '80s. To my ear, the Cascode Triode designs sound neither tube nor solid state. They seem to genuinely transcend the weaknesses of either whilst maintaining the strengths of each. Of all the preamps I have heard, they make music. I'll tell you, we are on a huge run with cj, they are selling like crazy, something that few manufacturers can claim in this economy. When people buy a cj, from then on they usually only upgrade to a new cj when it's time for something new. We've even sold three of the new GATs. With cj, it's all about parts quality, they simply do not compromise. I really believe that right now they are building some of the best gear ever made."

IF it sounds neither like tubes or ss, then what does it sound like?......interesting.

frenchmon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Suspended
    To keep in context you need to add "while maintaining the strengths of each". The CT6, or the technology therein, is the "missing link" of audio. It doesn't have the stereotype sound of either SS or tube but blends the best of both to become something unique and wonderful.

To keep in context you need to add "while maintaining the strengths of each". The CT6, or the technology therein, is the "missing link" of audio. It doesn't have the stereotype sound of either SS or tube but blends the best of both to become something unique and wonderful.
    Mr.Peabody...in all the professional audio reviews I've read about hybrids, they almost say the exact same thing....i'm wondering if its a similar sound to hybrids?

frenchmon

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Mr.Peabody...in all the professional audio reviews I've read about hybrids, they almost say the exact same thing....i'm wondering if its a similar sound to hybrids?

frenchmon
    Yeah, no kidding. But I very much doubt that it is valid to generalized about hybrid designs any more that single-technology designs.

So the CT6 is a hybrid? The description from the CJ sites seems to imply that it is not:
    The composite triode circuit is a conceptually simple design—based on creating a single “super” triode by paralleling sections of individual tubes. In this way, the entire amplification circuit can be reduced to a single active stage, without buffers or feedback. Any active circuit element will color the sound, whether the element is an amplifier or a buffer stage. By designing a line stage consisting of a single composite triode, we are able to reduce the circuit to the absolute minimum of a single active element.
    I would certainly be delighted to hear a CT6. The CJ house sound has long been reputed to be on the warm, "tuby" side of the ying-yang. Is this untrue? Is CJ changing its philosophy? Or is the CT6 not as different in character as Mr P is implying?

BTW, the ARC preamps have the rep for being much less warm and tuby sounding. My own, Sonic Frontier preamp has the reputation for sounding rather solid state. Certainly that's what I heard when first got it. So looking for something a little less severely s/s, I did some successful tube rolling.

I wasn't implying that the CT6 was a hybrid. But the description of "missing link" and "best of both worlds" are indicative of hybrids when reviewed by the pro's, and a few amateur audio hobbyist.. Perhaps CJ has come up with the technology using a single “super” triode design that produces the same sound. Well I'll be a Mr.Peabodys tomorrow to take a listen, and I will be auditioning hybrids soon after the new year. Perhaps I will be in for a big surprise...perhaps not.

frenchmon

Ajani
    I wasn't implying that the CT6 was a hybrid. But the description of "missing link" and "best of both worlds" are indicative of hybrids when reviewed by the pro's, and a few amateur audio hobbyist.. Perhaps CJ has come up with the technology using a single “super” triode design that produces the same sound. Well I'll be a Mr.Peabodys tomorrow to take a listen, and I will be auditioning hybrids soon after the new year. Perhaps I will be in for a big surprise...perhaps not.

frenchmon
    Why don't you carry your Rotel Power Amp with you, Combine it with one of Mr Peabody's CJ Tube Preamps and you will be able to hear firsthand what a hybrid sounds like....

frenchmon
    I have no doubt that the CT6 is a very fine preamp, but terms like "super" triode sound like hype to me. I'm no expert but I do know that a tube like a 6922 is a twin-triode, i.e. it does literally provide two triodes in one tube. When CJ speaks of "parallel" I 'd guess they mean passing a given channel's signal in parallel through both of the tube's triode paths; this would double the output voltage or current as the case maybe; (I don't know which). However CJ 's description seems vague. They mention a single stage with no buffer and their parallel, "super" triode circuit, however the CT6 does employ four tubes, so I'm sure I don't know what's going on. Whether their design is as innovative as they imply I have know idea.
    Last edited by Feanor; 12-12-2009 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Why don't you carry your Rotel Power Amp with you, Combine it with one of Mr Peabody's CJ Tube Preamps and you will be able to hear firsthand what a hybrid sounds like....
    Would that be the same as a hybrid amp and hybrid preamp paired together? Maybe that is what MrPeabody meant when he said not a "true hybrid?"

Man that amp is heavy.

frechmon

Ajani
    Would that be the same as a hybrid amp and hybrid preamp paired together? Maybe that is what MrPeabody meant when he said not a "true hybrid?"

Man that amp is heavy.

frechmon
    As someone else said (I think in your hybrid thread), as far as I know, there is no official definition of a "true hybrid"... the term hybrid really covers combining Tubes and SS... The most common way I see that done, is to use a Tube Pre with SS Power... that way you get the "best of both worlds" - Tube sweetness, warmth, whatever combined with the sheer output power and dynamic range of SS... I rarely ever see the reverse being used (SS Pre with Tube Power) since that would presumably give you the worst of both....

Congrats Mr. P

From what you've decribed, it sounds like you have truly went up a notch on fine fidelity.

I've heard some CJ at Hansen Audio in Columbus OH, and thought it was one of the finest gear around. I had heard it against Primere gear, and it wasn't even close.

Though I prefer warmer side of sound, I would love to hear your system in a near future.
    I'm jealous of frenchmon that I don't live near St Louis, St Charles. I should have a business trip to Troy MO next year. I would love to come and listen to your system.

Congrats again,
    JRA

Suspended
    JRA, you would sure be welcome.

Feanor, I don't know that much about the internal working of the CT6. I did read something about an increase in current. It may have been in one of the reviews I found. I believe it's truly innovative as it is trickle down from the ART preamp.

They way the CT6 is described as being neither tube or ss is they way to describe my Van Alstine Hybrid preamp! I had the opportunity to compare all the VA preamps, the SS, All tube and Hybrid and the Hybrid does give you an in between sound with the warmth and transparency of tubes and the punch of ss.

I would love to someday be able to hear the CT6, it sounds like its a great preamp!
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    They way the CT6 is described as being neither tube or ss is they way to describe my Van Alstine Hybrid preamp! I had the opportunity to compare all the VA preamps, the SS, All tube and Hybrid and the Hybrid does give you an in between sound with the warmth and transparency of tubes and the punch of ss.

I would love to someday be able to hear the CT6, it sounds like its a great preamp!
    BR, it's the hybrid AVA pre you've got? Remind us. The three AVA lines are: (1) the Ultras which are hybrid, (2) the Transcendance which are tube (with s/s power supplies), and (3) the Insight which are s/s. Frank insists that his hybrids are state of the art and have the edge over the pure tube and s/s models.

I share your sentiment about wanting to hearing the CT6.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    BR, it's the hybrid AVA pre you've got? Remind us. The three AVA lines are: (1) the Ultras which are hybrid, (2) the Transcendance which are tube (with s/s power supplies), and (3) the Insight which are s/s. Frank insists that his hybrids are state of the art and have the edge over the pure tube and s/s models.

Well I didn't get a chance to get over to Mr.Peabodys today....something more pressing came up. But hopefully tomorrow I can take a listen to the CT6. I cant wait.

frenchmon

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor

Feanor, I have the Ultra DAC which is the Tube/SS hybrid. It definetly has more air or transparency as well as a bigger sound stage compared to his Tube and SS DAC's. It also has more bass punch and better treble compared to the Tube DAC but not as pronounced as his SS DAC. The Tube DAC has the greatest warmth with the SS being the most neutral and the Hybrid in between. The transparency, sound stage and resolution are phenomenal with the Hybrid. I'm sure the CT-6 is similar from what Mr. P says.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP