AR Newbie Registered Member

Crossover, High/Low pass filters..

I have looked at some of the reviews, here but I can't seem to find a pure crossover.

Here's my situation. I am looking to put some speakers in my basement, in-walls. I'm looking at a Sonance 1250 as my amp because I am going to install 3 pairs of in-walls. The amp is 12 channels bridgable to 6 so it seems to fit nicely. I'm also looking at the Sonance S623T in wall speakers. I'm going to build sealed speaker boxes in the walls before I sheetrock, so they should sound a little better that when I listened to them in the store. The source is going to be the Sonos ZonePlayer 80, which is non-powered. I plan on running line level wire to the location where I will eventually have a powered sub, but for now it's just going to be the in walls, but I want to be prepared.

Now, I am not an audio expert, just an enthousiast who likes to hear crisp clean music, so if there are any suggestions as far as speakers, or whatever please feel free to offer other suggestions as well.

Suspended
    What are you wanting the crossover for? A sub will have the crossover built in. It will be variable to allow you to blend with the wall speakers.

I don't know of many crossover manufacturers. Take a look at Audio Control Products. Or check your local music store, it's more common to see outboard crossovers with Pro Audio or DJ set ups.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Well, I wanted the crossover to filter out the lows before the wall speakers at whatever level I filter the highs from the sub. I didn't think about the built in sub one, but that would make sence. I was just trying to save the wall speakers from having to push those lows, but I guess I can just let it all through...

I was just trying to apply the principals that I use with my Tri-amped live audio setup, to my in-home system, and I guess that it's not really that necessary.
    Yes...it is loud enough.

Some subs have high-pass

Quote Originally Posted by IllusionOfTime
    Well, I wanted the crossover to filter out the lows before the wall speakers at whatever level I filter the highs from the sub. I didn't think about the built in sub one, but that would make sence. I was just trying to save the wall speakers from having to push those lows, but I guess I can just let it all through...

I was just trying to apply the principals that I use with my Tri-amped live audio setup, to my in-home system, and I guess that it's not really that necessary.
    Some but not all subs include a high-pass filter. With those that have, you run the preamp output to the sub and then connect the sub back to the "main input" of your amp or to your power amp input connections. If you have a receiver or integrated amp without main inputs, you are SOL; you can't use tape loop since the tape output isn't volume controlled.

Suspended
    I can't tell you exactly how to do this but you can use a passive bass blocker on the wall speakers. We used to use these in car audio, I think it's a capacitor who's size filters out all frequencies below a certain one. This may be risky because you don't know how the sound will be until everything is fired up. You don't want to cross at the wrong frequency.

Audio Control used to make the Phase Coupled Activator that has a 2-way crossover. It uses a card to set the crossover frequency. This piece is also supposed to digitally restore extremely low frequencies.

I'm not familiar with the source you are using, it don't provide any internal crossover?

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IllusionOfTime
    I have looked at some of the reviews, here but I can't seem to find a pure crossover.
    If you need any kind of band pass, Parts Express sells FMOD inline crossovers in various frequencies. You can combine more than one to attain the specific frequency range you need if necessary.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....=745&sm=1&so=2

Thread Information