Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Conrad Johnson PV1?

I know this tube preamp is the first they made. I have a chance to swap some gear for one that's been recapped and upgraded to the PV2. Anyone have any experience and/or comments regarding this model?

That is a Mr. Peabody question since he owns all CJ stuff in his 2 channel rig but unfortunately his internet connection at his home is not letting him on audio review for some reason when i get home later I can possibly send him an email with your question though.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    I know this tube preamp is the first they made. I have a chance to swap some gear for one that's been recapped and upgraded to the PV2. Anyone have any experience and/or comments regarding this model?
    From what I've heard of Conrad Johnson, you should be all over that.

Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    I have the CJ PV1 for a few days on a trial basis. I recently picked up a pair of Bottlehead Paramours which I'm using with the CJ and driving FR Tang Band 1808 in OB over H frame 15 inch Eminence Alpha bass drivers powered by mono-block Emo's. The CJ is able to send strong line level signals to both pair of mono-blocks which my Aric 3.7 preamp can't do. Before, I used the Aric to control just the bass mono blocks but the CJ handles both pair of mono-blocks with ease. With this set up I'm actually quad amping ( a single mono-block for each driver ). The inside of the CJ looks like a Dynaco Pass 3 on steroids.

Pictures please...we love eye candy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular

Forum Regular
    I tried to post a rear shot of the CJ PV1 but a TT came up instead. As you can tell by the picture this preamp is in great shape. Amazing that it's older than many of the members here. Late 1970's I believe.

So what is the sound character...you think its really on the warm side and colored...or is it airy and lively?

Forum Regular
    I've been playing it with my latest acquisition - a pair of Bottlehead 2a3 Paramour monoblocks and it's a very sweet combo. A flea powered SET like the 2a3 needs gain and the CJ has plenty to go around.

This preamp puts you right there with the instruments. I love how the notes linger long after the string is plucked or the cymbal is struck. Doesn't sound colored but with just enough warmth to take the edge off. Amazing how CJ bucked conventional wisdom of the day and went after a minimalistic approach which was unheard of in the 1970's. No silly tone controls to degrade the sound and it makes do with only a volume and balance control. I wish it had a better power cord and the rca jacks are a bit short by today's standards but I can live with these to get this level of sound.

I've been playing it with my latest acquisition - a pair of Bottlehead 2a3 Paramour monoblocks and it's a very sweet combo. A flea powered SET like the 2a3 needs gain and the CJ has plenty to go around.

This preamp puts you right there with the instruments. I love how the notes linger long after the string is plucked or the cymbal is struck. Doesn't sound colored but with just enough warmth to take the edge off. Amazing how CJ bucked conventional wisdom of the day and went after a minimalistic approach which was unheard of in the 1970's. No silly tone controls to degrade the sound and it makes do with only a volume and balance control. I wish it had a better power cord and the rca jacks are a bit short by today's standards but I can live with these to get this level of sound.
    Well its good that you got a quality preamp. I've heard Mr. Peabodys CJ gear and the only complaint I have is he wont rolled the tubes....I wish it had a little more air. And may I add...all tone controls don't degrade sound as you suppose. My Vincent has tone controls that I really never used, but I recently got a pair of Nola Mini's that was a little soft in the bass so I pushed in the tone button and turned up the bass a little....no degration, only wonderful music.

Forum Regular
    This CJ is loaded with six NOS RCA orange labels.

This CJ is loaded with six NOS RCA orange labels.

Well Peabodys CT6 Preamplifier which was manufactured in 2006 I believe...is loaded with four in-line 6922 tubes. Don't know the brand. But to my ears it is too sweet. I don't like to sweet. I like more air and liveliness . But its not mine its Peabodys and he is perfectly happy with it. Even told me he is not interested in tube rolling. I do like listening to his rig...but if it where mine, I'd be tube rolling.

I think it does say something for CJ's capabilities taking on his Dynaudio T2.5's and pushing them as good as it does for the rated power. I was impressed knowing that the rated power of his setup was not that high in the mono block world and it pushed all the speakers he's had hooked to it without issue and with good results. But it sounds like he is selling his Zu's and going back to the ol trusty Dyn's

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Forum Regular
    I read somewhere that the PV1-PV2 was one of CJ's best efforts. The majority of it's 6 tubes ( reduced to 4 in later models ) appear to be 12AT7. I hope to swap a tube CDP for the CJ but it's not a done deal yet.

Sorry to hear PB may be selling the Zu's but without a SET amp they'll never reach their potential so perhaps it's for the best. The amp requirements for Dynaudio ( 4 ohm low efficiency multiple drivers with complex crossover ) speakers would be the polar opposite of Zu ( 12 ohm high efficiency full range crossover-less ) speakers.

Forum Regular
    "I was impressed knowing that the rated power of his setup was not that high in the mono block world"

harley,

My Paramour 2a3 mono blocks make 3.5 wpc on a good day :-)

I am not saying that there are other people out there with very low powered set ups and like them and they are mono blocks and I understand why some people like them but for driving Dynaudio's with maybe exception of the excite series you would need quite a bit more power than that and that was all I was saying was that Mr. Peabody's system drives his contours very well while having a 4ohm mono power rating lower than my amp has. I understand that power ratings in some cases don't mean that much but when it comes to speakers like Dynaudio it takes current to get the most out of them and that is why most people with receivers and don't have outboard power amps shy away from Dyn.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07 View Post
    I think it does say something for CJ's capabilities taking on his Dynaudio T2.5's and pushing them as good as it does for the rated power. I was impressed knowing that the rated power of his setup was not that high in the mono block world and it pushed all the speakers he's had hooked to it without issue and with good results. But it sounds like he is selling his Zu's and going back to the ol trusty Dyn's
    The amps, he had converted to mono blocks. They where rated at 2x100....now they are mono 100 each. He is still in the hunt for more speakers....he would like something with a bottom end presence with air and liveliness in the upper end. The ZU had a bottom end that was distant and soft. They could go low, but they where just soft. The t2.5's are rated at 86dB...so thats not to much of a load with good high current. If any 100 watt amp has a problem with that, well they need a better amp.

Forum Regular

Forum Regular
    Above is the CJ feeding the Bottlehead Paramours. Nice sound from this combo.

so you keeping the CJ or traiding it.?

Stereophile just had a review of one of their preamps not like most magazines opinions matters but they were very favorable about the CJ preamp and since I have not seen a review of CJ in a while I thought it was an interesting read. I believe it was the ET3 SE and they said that it was very good if not come of the better heard in a while. I have heard Peabody's system and tube rolling or not the system sounds great and does everything that he wants it to do which is all that matters anyway.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Forum Regular
    The phono section on the CJ is so good it got my SL-1300 out of mothballs. I hope to keep it if I can make a reasonable trade.

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07 View Post
    Stereophile just had a review of one of their preamps not like most magazines opinions matters but they were very favorable about the CJ preamp and since I have not seen a review of CJ in a while I thought it was an interesting read. I believe it was the ET3 SE and they said that it was very good if not come of the better heard in a while. I have heard Peabody's system and tube rolling or not the system sounds great and does everything that he wants it to do which is all that matters anyway.
    Oh I agree...

The phono section on the CJ is so good it got my SL-1300 out of mothballs. I hope to keep it if I can make a reasonable trade.
    good.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Oh I agree...
    Oh...and going over to Peabodys today with the Vincent to see if it stacks up to the CJ or even gets close.

MRSP of Vincent $1500

MRSPl of CJ $4000.

This should be a interesting contest....cant wait to connect the Vincent to his CJ mono blocks!

The Vincent sounds really great!
    Last edited by frenchmon; 09-17-2011 at 07:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information