Forum Regular

Can someone offer an explanation?

I have a CD player with two Y rca cables splitting the signal and feeding amp A and amp B. When both amps are playing everything works as it should.

When I turn amp A on without amp B I get no audible signal from the CDP. But when I turn amp B on briefly I can switch it off and amp A then gets a good signal from the player and sounds fine.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    That is the oddest thing I've ever heard. It could be there is some kind of severe loading or muting going on with either the CDP output or amp B's input. It may help to know the brand of CDP and amps.

Forum Regular
    There is nothing wrong with either amp or CDP. My hunch is that the CDP's split signal offers too little output impedance for one amp but enough for the other. Once amp B picks up the signal then amp A sees the signal and joins in. I don't know, maybe it's like priming a pump :-)

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    That does not make sense. If output impedance is too low, nothing other than an active buffer or transformer is is going to correct that. One amp is not going to "see the signal and join in." It may be that amp B actually is presenting a very low impedance when off. When you turn the amp on, even momentarily, that impedance is changing. I have also seen amps with muting relays at the input. The issue could revolve around that perhaps. I asked for brands/models so that I could look at schematics if available to see what loads are being presented. However, you already seem to have your hunch.

Forum Regular
    Hi, I was wondering if I could get some advise on receivers here?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rich66 View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if I could get some advise on receivers here?

Rich I sent you a private message. If you need help in how to post let me know. Please stop asking questions that are off topic in another's thread.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thread Information