A cheap path to purity....yeah, Axiom, I am talking to you!

Hey all,

Just got my Axiom (passive pre) from Luminous Tech. and hooked it up to my two channel PC based system. Although it has been only a couple hours I only have one thing to say: niiiiiiiiiice.

You know, when I bought the B&K Ref 50 a while back (and sold my Audio Experience + tube pre to help finance it) I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the B&K is a fantastic AV unit but it just didn't have the musicality that the tube pre did. Also, in much the same way, it didn't have the rhythm that this passive preamp displays.

I mean, come on, this thing goes for $160 with upgraded caps. How can one NOT LOVE what this does for music? Clean, unadulterated portrayal of your source. What's that? Are you scared to hear what kind of investment you REALLY made in your source? ha ha So cheap that you should buy it and give it a shot. If you don't like it I will seem like an a-hole and you will still have one of the best deals in all of audio in your collection.

From the hip and heart,

J
    The round mound of rebound sound is profound and bound to pound the ground. OK, I got nuthin.....

Quote Originally Posted by phileserver39 View Post
    Hey all,

Just got my Axiom (passive pre) from Luminous Tech. and hooked it up to my two channel PC based system. Although it has been only a couple hours I only have one thing to say: niiiiiiiiiice.

You know, when I bought the B&K Ref 50 a while back (and sold my Audio Experience + tube pre to help finance it) I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the B&K is a fantastic AV unit but it just didn't have the musicality that the tube pre did. Also, in much the same way, it didn't have the rhythm that this passive preamp displays.

I mean, come on, this thing goes for $160 with upgraded caps. How can one NOT LOVE what this does for music? Clean, unadulterated portrayal of your source. What's that? Are you scared to hear what kind of investment you REALLY made in your source? ha ha So cheap that you should buy it and give it a shot. If you don't like it I will seem like an a-hole and you will still have one of the best deals in all of audio in your collection.

From the hip and heart,

J
    Good for you, Phile'.

I'm currently using a passive preamp and enjoying it a lot. If you're system will handle it, I'm pretty much convinced it's the way to go. Of course if you like the sugar coating tubes can give you, you won't get that with a passive.

Personally I couldn't survive without a remote control for volume at least. I got a nice, second-hand Jolida JD50A. It has an input selector plus power switching which is working nicely for me.

Forum Regular
    I've been looking at this passive pre amp on ebay for awhile now. Good parts and a cheap price, so I wonder how it stacks up?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Passive-preampli...item2c5ce13453

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    I've been looking at this passive pre amp on ebay for awhile now. Good parts and a cheap price, so I wonder how it stacks up?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Passive-preampli...item2c5ce13453
    That looks good to me. Youl couldn't make it much cheaper yourself from parts than that asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by phileserver39 View Post
    Hey all,

From the hip and heart,

J
    Why in the world would a passive preamp need capacitors especially upgraded ones?
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    Why in the world would a passive preamp need capacitors especially upgraded ones?
    Good question !!

Thread Information