Forum Regular

Question Can a receiver do justice to high-end speakers?

I could use some advice...I would like to couple a Yamaha RX-V 2500 130 watt HT receiver with 2 channel high end speakers...JMLab Electra 926s. The system would be used for audio only, no HT at this time. Would I be severely compromising the sound quality from the speakers, or would they work reasonably well? Thanks for your thoughts.
    MusicLG

Quote Originally Posted by MusicLG
    I could use some advice...I would like to couple a Yamaha RX-V 2500 130 watt HT receiver with 2 channel high end speakers...JMLab Electra 926s. The system would be used for audio only, no HT at this time. Would I be severely compromising the sound quality from the speakers, or would they work reasonably well?
    Everything in audio is relative. I subscribe to the belief that the speakers are the single most important component in any audio system. Will that combination work well? Certainly. Will you extract the ultimate capability of the speakers? No. But that is not a problem. If you seek better, then you have a good foundation on which to improve.

rw

Can't be said any better than that!

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Everything in audio is relative. I subscribe to the belief that the speakers are the single most important component in any audio system. Will that combination work well? Certainly. Will you extract the ultimate capability of the speakers? No. But that is not a problem. If you seek better, then you have a good foundation on which to improve.

rw
    Nicely put.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Really only you're going to be able to judge whether it will be enough and you have to decide that for yourself.

I believe that a system is more than the sum of the speaker...the speaker makes the biggest difference and the room you're in to the frequency response --- which is the easiest thing to measure. I believe that speakers make the biggest difference -- on the other hand --- other pieces can transform the speakers into something far far better. I ran a very nice amp with my speakers and then upgraded the amp -- it was a lot of money for me but I'd have it no other way...for me the improvent is drastic.

UHF believes in a source first approach --- they have a valid point -- I'm not saying I agree -- really you have decide if whatthey say holds any merit - there are several pages with links at the bottom --- it takes less than 20 minutes to go through their hi-fi course http://www.uhfmag.com/book1.html

Then there is the following effective listening approach - This will assist you when listening to determine if differences in equipment are A) noticeable and B) worth the extra money.
    Again somehting you can try out and see if you hear it. If the difference is not significant when you LISTEN - don't pay for those amps/cd players just because they got a good write-up -- the reviews may get you to try somehting but in the end it better make a bIG difference and improve your listening pleasure.

I think you will find a lot better than receivers out there -- but then the Yamaha will make sound through your speakers too -- changing costs money and you won;t have surround sound modes most likely. I would not change to another receiver --- basically receivers sound pretty much the same to me anyway. The differences that are present are rarely noteworthy. http://www.audionote.co.uk/anp1.htm

It's just a hobby

Wink It depends

Quote Originally Posted by MusicLG
    I could use some advice...I would like to couple a Yamaha RX-V 2500 130 watt HT receiver with 2 channel high end speakers...JMLab Electra 926s. The system would be used for audio only, no HT at this time. Would I be severely compromising the sound quality from the speakers, or would they work reasonably well? Thanks for your thoughts.
    MusicLG
    It depends, If the speakers are difficult to drive, then yes you will be severely compromising the quality of the speakers with any below par amplifier, being that it is the Electras 926, you will need to specifically test the < 200Hz regions as this the region that will likely cause an amplifier to break out in sweat.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    TAH

You bring up a very good point - I got interested in high end because of the drastic bass improvement offerred up by Bryston -- as you may know Bryston is noticed a lot for it's "grip" on flabbier woofers or the bottom end in general. My Wharfedales though are 95db sensitive so I would add that it's not the sensitivity that is even worth mentioning necessarily -- my flagship well regarded 125Watt RMS Pioneer Elite was a complete gutless pile of caca compared to the Bryston when controlling those 10 inch woofers. The Bryston actuall was rated lower in watts and THD was about the same.

And I also agree that the Biggest difference was the bass and less so in the treble band though it did make a noted improvement. The Arcam I later bought at 75watts alsomade a signicant improvement over the Elite...the Elite was a Good for a receiver with a big transformer and enormous caps -- it also had a resonance/interference reducing copper chassis. It was explained on AA some time ago as to why receivers are so poor with bass response but I forget who said it and why --- something to do with false ratings across the whole band versus the rather useless rating at 1khz.

Forum Regular

The End of the Story

Returned the HT receiver and got Simaudio Moon I-3 amp and Moon Equinox CD player. Thanks for your advice. Looking foward to putting it together and listening!
    MusicLG

It's just a hobby
    congrats

Wonderful stuff, congrats! Hope it brings you decades of enjoyment.

Thread Information