Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Question about power supplies.

Okay, this is a follow up question to my last one (this forum is really great, most other web forums are too condescending and insulting).

My "new" (read: 2nd hand) Adcom amplifier works great, and for $100 bucks it was a steal. Only problem is I have to manually turn the thing on and off (no remote). So my next question is can I plug the Amp into one of the slots on the back of my receiver (yammie RX-V795a)? Will this overwork the receiver's power supply? (which was kind of the reason I wanted the power amp in the first place)?
    Or am I better off to plug the amp straight into the wall outlet and lose my remote control "On/Off" convenience?

First question...

...what's the power consumption figure on the amp? Remember, they draw a LOT of power on startup but after that initial surge their demand settles down somewhat.

Next question. What are the sockets on the back of the receiver rated at? Normally, these will indicate the maximum wattage of t he device plugged into them.

Now, aside from their initial power up surge, these won't affect the power supply of your receiver. These plugs are wired after the power switch and before the power supply. If the power amp draws enough power too many times, it could shorten the life of the receiver's power switch.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Well, the receiver's sockets are rated at "100 watt max total", the amplifier power consumption isn't listed in the manual, but it does tell me that it should be plugged into a 120 v at 50-60 Hz, which isn't any help at all. Oh well.
    I think (judging by weight and power output capability) that the amp is probably above the 100 watt max total so I'm not going to bother. Not a big deal really. I'll move my rack closer to me instead.
    thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Okay, this is a follow up question to my last one (this forum is really great, most other web forums are too condescending and insulting).

My "new" (read: 2nd hand) Adcom amplifier works great, and for $100 bucks it was a steal. Only problem is I have to manually turn the thing on and off (no remote). So my next question is can I plug the Amp into one of the slots on the back of my receiver (yammie RX-V795a)? Will this overwork the receiver's power supply? (which was kind of the reason I wanted the power amp in the first place)?
    Or am I better off to plug the amp straight into the wall outlet and lose my remote control "On/Off" convenience?
    Probably not a good idea, those extra sockets were most likely intended for "lightweight" stuff like cassette decks and turntables.

-Bruce

Hey, no fair!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FLZapped
    Probably not a good idea, those extra sockets were most likely intended for "lightweight" stuff like cassette decks and turntables.

-Bruce
    I love the Socratic method.

It does look like it worked. Given my strategicly leading hints, it looks like he figured it out for himself, though. I knew he could.

Forum Regular
    Don't do it. The problem isn't the power supply of the receiver or the outlets although it may be too much for them. The problem is that the on/off switch on the receiver will see a lot of arcing on inrush current every time you turn it on and it will eventually fail. There is a workaround for this however. If you are handy with a soldering iron and have some experience with relays, you can build a small relay control that will allow a say 10 or 20 amp relay turn on the power amp with just a few milliamps draw on the relay coil through you receiver on/off switch. X-10 technology will also work, just be sure to get a switch with a heavy duty relay, not a lamp dimmer. If you have no experience with this, get the help of someone who does. I'd say either way, you're looking at about $30 to $40 tops.

Thread Information