Forum Regular

Question Boring simplistic question

My mother's Sony STR-AV200 receiver has bad phono jacks that buzz very loud off and on. Could I connect a phono preamp through her video in jacks? These are the only extra jacks she has. Sorry for mundane question, but I know I can get results here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill K Davis
    My mother's Sony STR-AV200 receiver has bad phono jacks that buzz very loud off and on. Could I connect a phono preamp through her video in jacks? These are the only extra jacks she has. Sorry for mundane question, but I know I can get results here.
    You want to make sure that all connections are correct. Audio-to-Audio and Video-to-Video. You do not want to mix them. I could not find any info on that particular receiver. But first thing you may wanna try is to see if your TT is grounded to your receiver. If it still doesnt work then you can always plug your external phono preamp to any CD, AUX, DVD, etc inputs.

Forum Regular

This old Sony lets in the rain.

This old reciever has 2 sets of rca plugs under a Video heading. They are labeled audio in and audio out. The phonograph was properly grounded, but somehow the phono jacks are loosely connected, and buzz very loud at times. Thanks a lot for answering jhry.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    A friend had a Sony receiver that began to buzz and we took it into the local audioshop and the technician looked at the model and new exactly waht it was. He took the cover off and tightened a screw that was loose that was causing it to not be grounded. The screw was in the circuit board and once tightened it was back to normal. Also a Sony product I owned began to act up and I tightened a screw between the rca jacks and that helped with the problem. I would check to see if the screws holding the rca jacks to the back of the receiver are tight.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular

more drivel

Thanks again guys. I tightened the screw between the phono jacks ,and may try some stabilant, if that fails.

Thread Information