Border Patrol power supply for tube-amp

Can anyone tell me their experience with this "modification" ? I hear lots of enthousiastic stories about it. The price though is rather high (about 1800 euro's here). I was told that this modification helps about all tube-amps sound MUCH better. And how does this technically work so well ?

Thanks
    iMac with Airtunes (analog)
    Audio Innovations Classic 25
    Epos es11
    Van den Hul D 102 mk 2
    MIT Terminator 3

Just to put it under your attention again!
    Epos es11
    Van den Hul D 102 mk 2
    MIT Terminator 3

Quote Originally Posted by pether
    Can anyone tell me their experience with this "modification" ? I hear lots of enthousiastic stories about it. The price though is rather high (about 1800 euro's here). I was told that this modification helps about all tube-amps sound MUCH better. And how does this technically work so well ?

Thanks
    I have never heard of it: what is the nature of this modification?

The nature is that it is a tube-power supply with a choke in it's circuit. It is used in the Boder Patrol tube-amps and is also sold seperately to enhance quality of other tube-amps.

Nice stereoset you have! I had Magneplanars 1.5 way back in the 80's.
    Epos es11
    Van den Hul D 102 mk 2
    MIT Terminator 3

Quote Originally Posted by pether
    The nature is that it is a tube-power supply with a choke in it's circuit. It is used in the Boder Patrol tube-amps and is also sold seperately to enhance quality of other tube-amps.

Nice stereoset you have! I had Magneplanars 1.5 way back in the 80's.
    Well I did have a look a the Border Patrol website, including their MB the power supply. There isn't much detail there or I overlooked it, but I'm can't detect why the upgrade ought to cost 1800€.

I'm a bit of a tube powers supply skeptic myself. It isn't clear to me why one needs tube rectification in power supply to improve sound, and indeed, the majority of modern tube amps and preamps use solid state power supplies.

Forum Regular

Vacuum tubes are pretty hardy & flexible critters

What specific deficiency are you unhappy about? And if you cannot identify a deficiency, why not leave things alone? Why go "looking for trouble" just because of published claims and promises?

If you really have an extra 1800 euros, why not shop for a "better" amp and sell what you now have? This way you can listen before you buy.

Unless you damage a tube's glass envelope/seal or have, say, the bias voltage way off, they do not need a lot of TLC, ..... especially in the form of mystery tweeks.

Thread Information