Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar

Blue Bulbs for Marantz

Can anyone direct me to some blue lamps for the 1515? Links please...it requires 4

They're clear...not blue. It's the front plate that makes it blue. The lamps look about like fuses and you can get this from this vendor...

http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    They're clear...not blue. It's the front plate that makes it blue. The lamps look about like fuses and you can get this from this vendor...

http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/

These were removed from my 1515. Blue mon ami. I know of the clear ones on Ebay. I am pretty sure these are factory original bulbs. You think I'll get the blue glow anyhow? The FM/AM plate is definitely lined with blue...great link BTW, check this one out, a page from your link...

http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/vlamps.html ...awesome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blue Bulbs for Marantz-dsc02394.jpg  

Does your dial look like it's glowing the same color as the 2600 on this site...

http://www.amkproducts.com/Marantz.htm

I can't find a seller with anything but clear, and that amkproducts site looks like they know what they're doing.

Does your dial look like it's glowing the same color as the 2600 on this site...

http://www.amkproducts.com/Marantz.htm

I can't find a seller with anything but clear, and that amkproducts site looks like they know what they're doing.
    The meters and the plate are almost identical, so yes. The reason I ask is that the bulbs are stationed on either end of the FM plate, and either end of the 2 meters....not behind.

I didn't know about the blue version of the lamp. I made a bad assumption...thought the same lamps carried over from the 22xx series to your model, the 2600, 2226B, 2330B, etc. I'd bet both those vendors could advise on the the right lamps, but I wonder why they don't mention the difference.

I didn't know about the blue version of the lamp. I made a bad assumption...thought the same lamps carried over from the 22xx series to your model, the 2600, 2226B, 2330B, etc. I'd bet both those vendors could advise on the the right lamps, but I wonder why they don't mention the difference.
    OK, Vintage have been emailed....as follows...

Hey Bob! Excellent site!! I absolutely loved your Marantz bulb experiment. Your prices are beyond fair, make Ebay blush even. You are favorited in my browser and I will buy whatever you can supply me.

Firstly, I will be needing 2 Pioneer PL 516 belts, which you have. Secondly, I need 4 bulbs for my Marantz 1515. I have a couple of questions though Bob. The four bulbs I pulled out are blue, not clear. They appear to be factory although I can find no evidence that Marantz ever installed blue bulbs. My real question is, do i need these blue bulbs to get the beautiful icy blue glow from my 1515? As you know, the bulbs sit on either end of the FM plate and the 2 meters, not behind. I have attached a photo of the bulbs for your evaluation.

Anxiously awaiting your reply, Chad

Here's his response noob,

Chad There were a couple of early Marantz units that had the blue tinted bulbs. We can no longer get them. sorry. Sometimes you can take a knife and slice the old coating and it will come off and you can wrap it around the new ones.

Interesting choice of words..."early Marantz units". I think the 1515 is from around 1978...which is in the later years of the classic Marantz. Maybe those lamps were transplanted from another Marantz?

Interesting choice of words..."early Marantz units". I think the 1515 is from around 1978...which is in the later years of the classic Marantz. Maybe those lamps were transplanted from another Marantz?
    Well he didn't answr the most important question, will I get a blue glow without them?

I would say it will depend on the colors in the dial lens. If you look at the dial in bright ambient light, like daylight, is the dial blue? If so, it shouldn't take blue lights to make it look blue.

I suppose I'll try to peel the old ones off as he suggested but I don't think it's going to work. Then, there's the problem of affixing them to the new bulbs, without using sloppy adhesive.

The receiver is 30 years old. How sure are you those blue lamps are the originals?

The receiver is 30 years old. How sure are you those blue lamps are the originals?
    You're right , there's no real way to know, but they certainly look 30 years old. I'll take one last ditch effort online and then I won't really have a choice anyhow, I get whatever I get...blue or not.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    You're right , there's no real way to know, but they certainly look 30 years old.

I don't mean I don't think they're old. In fact, they could be 40 years old, for all I know...I'm thinking maybe they were either transplants from or original parts for one of the intense blue early models like the Twenty-Two in this image I borrowed from classic-audio.com.

ok noob, I ordered a belt for my Pio and the lamps from Vintage. Wanted to thank you for the hook up, he's got great prices. We'll know soon enough how the mystery of the 1515 plays out.

Can anyone direct me to some blue lamps for the 1515? Links please...it requires 4
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2-7V-Fuse-Lamp-B...d=p3286.c0.m14

my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Thanks man!!! I ordered some clear ones but if the results are bad, I know where to go.

Let there be light...

I think the blue bulbs would have been ideal...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blue Bulbs for Marantz-dsc02432.jpg  

The white glow coming in from the side is strange. The clear bulbs seem correct in that I think the white dots on the tuning dial are really supposed to be white. But my receiver has meters like that and my clear bulbs don't glow in from the side.

The white glow coming in from the side is strange. The clear bulbs seem correct in that I think the white dots on the tuning dial are really supposed to be white. But my receiver has meters like that and my clear bulbs don't glow in from the side.
    I think the seal around the meters is loose, most likely from my hasty, pre-dinner installation...I'll get in there again.

I think the seal around the meters is loose, most likely from my hasty, pre-dinner installation...I'll get in there again.
    If you get that resolved, I like the look with the clear bulbs.

Well I packed up the Citizen this morn for it's trip to the shop. Reno, my local vintage repairman is going to do his best. I have a short list to get it into full operating condition. Hooked the 1515 back in figuring it would be a shadow of the Citizen.

Not a chance!! This little amp blows my mind. The soundstage is way more accurate than the Citizen. I think when I get it back I'll just run it as a pre into the 1515 for fun. Best 15 wpc ever made...

How is the vellium paper behind the dial on the Marantz? This gets old and yellow and needs to be replaced. It can be gotten either at the Hobby stoe or at the grocery store, parchment paper will serve the same purpose.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dwojo/index.html

Contact Dave at the above link for all your lamp needs.

I hope this isn't out of line, here is a link to another site from when I relamped my 2235B, if it is out of line please remove the link.

http://www.sound-thinking.org/index....=3212&hl=2235b

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Eck; 11-09-2009 at 01:55 PM.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eck
    How is the vellium paper behind the dial on the Marantz? This gets old and yellow and needs to be replaced. It can be gotten either at the Hobby stoe or at the grocery store, parchemnt paper will serve the same purpose.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dwojo/index.html

Contact Dave at the above link for all your lamp needs.

I hope this isn't out of line, here is a link to another site from when I relamped my 2235B, if it is out of line please remove the link.

http://www.sound-thinking.org/index....=3212&hl=2235b

Jim

Great first post and welcome to AudioReview.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information