Moviejunkie

Question Bi-Wire vs Bi-Amp

I just purchased B&K Reference 50 S2 Pre/Pro + B&K Reference 200.7 S2 Amp and Energy Veritas 2.4i Mains.
    If I understand it correctly, Bi-Wire is using one amp channel and splitting the wires to the two separate pairs of terminals on each speaker. Whereas Bi-Amp uses two amp channels and each channel is wired to a separate pair of terminals. Energy seems to recommend Bi-Amp, and not Bi-Wire.
    Do I have the setup correct?
    Do I balance all 7 channels as if it were 7 speakers, all to have the same volume?
    Do I let the internal crossovers do everything, or do I make adjustments at the Pre/Pro?
    I am only going to have 5 speakers so I can dedicate two channels to each Main. Will this be too much power (200*2 per speaker)?
    Also does it matter if the Center channel wire run is shorter then the mains? Or should I keep the front three the same length.
    Moviejunkie

Quote Originally Posted by mjmagaw
    I just purchased B&K Reference 50 S2 Pre/Pro + B&K Reference 200.7 S2 Amp and Energy Veritas 2.4i Mains.
    If I understand it correctly, Bi-Wire is using one amp channel and splitting the wires to the two separate pairs of terminals on each speaker. Whereas Bi-Amp uses two amp channels and each channel is wired to a separate pair of terminals. Energy seems to recommend Bi-Amp, and not Bi-Wire.Do I have the setup correct?
    Yep.
    Do I balance all 7 channels as if it were 7 speakers, all to have the same volume?
    I'm not sure I understand the question but you do want to have equal volume from all speakers at the listening position. You'll need an SPL Meter and preferrably a test disc (Sound and Vision, Avia) to calibrate your system correctly. Don't worry, it's easy.
    Do I let the internal crossovers do everything, or do I make adjustments at the Pre/Pro?
    My belief is that if you have full range speakers like your mains, you should run them full range. If you don't have full range speakers and are employing monitors for your surround and center, I'd set your mains to "large" and everything else to "small" and send all LFE to the sub (assuming you have one). The crossover setting on your pre/pro is to adjust the amount of LFE going to your sub, nothing else.
    I am only going to have 5 speakers so I can dedicate two channels to each Main. Will this be too much power (200*2 per speaker)?
    No. It's far better to have too much power than too little. When you push an amp beyond spec, it will strain, clip, and ultimately either shut down or fry your speakers. Clipping will damage speakers far more than overdriving the transducers.
    Also does it matter if the Center channel wire run is shorter then the mains? Or should I keep the front three the same length.
    No and No. The shorter the run, the better. Also, the longer the run, the lower gauge of wire (bigger diameter) you'll need to avoid signal loss.

FWIW, I wouldn't bother with bi-amping your mains. Just use the jumpers and use one set of wires. The only time bi-amping makes sense is if you are using two different amps, usually a tube amp for the highs and ss for the lows. Using the same amp to bi-amp will likely yield inaudible differences. Consider that there is probably only one power supply in the B&K. Therefore, by utilizing four channels instead of two, you are taxing the power supply to power all four channels and it has less in reserve for transients etc. I'd rather drive two and have more in tank for when I need it. Bottom line, I think you're wasting your time and resources when bi-amping with the same amp. Just an opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Very nice gear you've got there, enjoy the ride!

Thread Information