Forum Regular

Amp stopped working..

Came home from work last night, turned on my amp to listen in my bedroom. No sound. I looked a little closer. Normally when the amp is off and plugged in, the power light is red, meaning its in standby. Well, it doesnt change to green when it is turned on, like it is supposed to. The amp is a Sonance sonamp 260. Never used harshly. Any ideas what the prob could be, and is it something that i could fix? Thanks

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Possibly just the switch

Quote Originally Posted by MomurdA
    Came home from work last night, turned on my amp to listen in my bedroom. No sound. I looked a little closer. Normally when the amp is off and plugged in, the power light is red, meaning its in standby. Well, it doesnt change to green when it is turned on, like it is supposed to. The amp is a Sonance sonamp 260. Never used harshly. Any ideas what the prob could be, and is it something that i could fix? Thanks
    If the amp still has the standby light lit then it's getting juice. If your handy you can take off the chassis cover and bypass the switch manually to see if it will start up. If it does, then you know the problem.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

AR Newbie Registered Member

lectec

[QUOTE=MomurdA]Came home from work last night, turned on my amp to listen in my bedroom. No sound. I looked a little closer. Normally when the amp is off and plugged in, the power light is red, meaning its in standby. Well, it doesnt change to green when it is turned on, like it is supposed to. The amp is a Sonance sonamp 260. Never used harshly. Any ideas what the prob could be, and is it something that i could fix? Thanks[/QUO

TE]

there is something you can check. the main amps (might) have their own fuses. they will be (probably) on a board seperate from the power fuse and will have one for each channel.
    if one is bad and you change it and the unit comes back to life the you lucked out and enjoy. if you replace a bad one and it goes out as soon as you turn the unit on then you probably have a shorted output transistor. this can be easily replaced. probably about 60 top 100 bucks at a repair shop. if they are not fused or they are ok then read on.

there are many possiblities. you should assume it is in protect mode. it would not be wise to bypass anything, no offense to the other post. it almost certainly can be fixed. but when this symtom occurs it may be the beginning of an intensive search to find the problem.

what happens when you turn your amp on is, it sends the power to a small transformer which in turn activates a low power, power supply (5-10 volts). this voltage is sent ot various components and also to the power switch. when the power switch is activated it normally sends a signal to a processer which in turn sends a small voltage back to the main power supply telling it (by way of activating a transistor) to close the main relay. the 120v is then sent to the main transformer. all this, of course, is happening in an instant but various things are occuring. voltage regulators are turning on, sending power to the ic's, to the display and so on. everything is waiting for the main capacitors to fill and send the (big) voltages to the main amps.

if there is a problem such as a shorted output, a bad voltage regulator, or something else, the unit will sense this and put itself in a protect mode. it may be that the standby circuit itself is defective.

in any case dont panic and dont screw with it yourself . it can be fixed (probably)

lectec

Forum Regular
    It works great now. I took the chassis off and looked around. Took me about 5 seconds to see one of teh wire connections to the power supply board had come loose. Dont know how, but it did. I just snapped it back in place, problem solved!
    Thanks for the replies

Thread Information