Thread: Bi-Amp

Forum Regular

Unhappy Bi-Amp

I kinda considering bi-amping my speakers but i'm thinking of two possible approach mainly because of cost to prevent investing in two systems, i.e. for 2 channel stereo and hometheater. The first one is to use two sets of two-channel amplifiers and the second one is using an AV receiver like the Denon 3805 wherein i would use 4 channels (left channel {left front + left surround} and right channel {right front + right surround}). Had anyone reading this tried this setup before? I love listening to music but also watch DVDs. Multi-channel sound is not yet in with me. I also use sound improvement gadgets like equalizers, exciters, expander, etc. inserting this on the signal path is quite difficult and a challenge particularly for AV receiver setup. On using two stereo amps, my problem is using the subwoofer via the line input. The volume of the sub cannot be controlled. I'm not aware of a two channel amp with sub out and with volume control that adjust together with the mains like what AV receiver does.

Appreciate your thoughts on this. thanks.

What are you trying to accomplish by passively bi-amping your speakers in this way? More clarity? Better headroom? I'm asking because I've always found passive bi-amping with the same amp to be an incredible waste of time. In other words; you won't hear a difference. Well, that's not exactly true. If you used a receiver like the Denon, it could actually end up sounding worse because you're exerting twice the strain on the same power supply by utilizing 4 channels instead of 2.

There are only two occasions that I would consider bi-amping:
    1) You utilize an active crossover
    2) You utilize two different amps. Usually, it's a ss for the bass and tube for the mids and tweets.

Don't waste your time using the same amp(s). I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the only difference you'll realize is a lighter wallet for the extra amps and/or wires.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    What are you trying to accomplish by passively bi-amping your speakers in this way? More clarity? Better headroom? I'm asking because I've always found passive bi-amping with the same amp to be an incredible waste of time. In other words; you won't hear a difference. Well, that's not exactly true. If you used a receiver like the Denon, it could actually end up sounding worse because you're exerting twice the strain on the same power supply by utilizing 4 channels instead of 2.

2) You utilize two different amps. Usually, it's a ss for the bass and tube for the mids and tweets.

Don't waste your time using the same amp(s). I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the only difference you'll realize is a lighter wallet for the extra amps and/or wires.
    If you use for instance 4 monos af the same brand the ones on the low relief the ones on the highs and vice versa. This means a better overall control. And you cannot hear that?!! Damn..shame on you
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 12-29-2004 at 07:47 AM. Reason: flame retardent
    Pre-amp: Mcintosh C26
    Poweramp: Mcintosh MC2105
    Source: Sony Xa50es modified
    Dual 503-1 turntable
    Speakers: Magnepan MG1 modified supertweeters.

Furthermore

Audiolab 480 poweramp, Infinity Qe, Sonus Faber Concertino, Dynaco ST80 (RARE) Tubeamplifier.

Forum Regular

Unhappy Bi-amp

Well i was under the impression that in a multichannel receiver, the channels are operating independently with a common power supply. For example in a 5.1 system, there are at least 5 equally powered audio channels. If i use four of them to biamp a pair of speakers then i don't have to buy two stereo amplifiers. i do found many good sounding AV receivers out there and loaded with many features rather than buying overpriced stereo amps. I do agree that biwiring using the same or one amp is a waste of time. Basically i would like to try biamping because it seems a good idea. i've seen large audio setups like concerts and PAs and they do have individual amplifiers for each speakers. Of course they use professional crossovers but in this case i would let the speakers handle its job.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed

Thread Information