A different sort of SET amp

Leave it to Nelson Pass to innovate with the use of SITs.

Single stage single ended triode behavior class A zero feedback solid state amp!

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat View Post
    Leave it to Nelson Pass to innovate with the use of SITs.

Single stage single ended triode behavior class A zero feedback solid state amp!

rw
    SIT = "Static Induction Transistors".Somewhat trode-like, apparently, though I don't pretent to understand how or why.

Nelson Pass is (in)famous for his brilliantly crazy designs using weird topologies that are, at the same time, consistent his is zero-feedback doctrine.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    SIT = "Static Induction Transistors".Somewhat trode-like, apparently, though I don't pretent to understand how or why.
    NP on the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Nelson Pass is (in)famous for his brilliantly crazy designs using weird topologies that are, at the same time, consistent his is zero-feedback doctrine.
    His philosophy of using the simplest approach to a problem echoes that of Al Einstein: “When the solution is simple, God is answering.”

Here are a few fun facts about the Pass SIT:

*They are made of silicon carbide which allows them to run up to 800 degrees C.
    *Their primary usage is found in governmental radar applications
    *They have extremely wide bandwidth

I was amused by NP's reference to their cost: click here.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat View Post
    His philosophy of using the simplest approach to a problem echoes that of Al Einstein: “When the solution is simple, God is answering.”

Here are a few fun facts about the Pass SIT:

*They are made of silicon carbide which allows them to run up to 800 degrees C.
    *Their primary usage is found in governmental radar applications
    *They have extremely wide bandwidth

I was amused by NP's reference to their cost: click here.

rw
    As for Einstein, it is well know that his references to God were humorous/disingenuous because he was an Atheist. Also, Einstein was wrong about a few things, e.g. his skepticism regarding Quantum Theory about which he commented, "God doesn't roll dice".

Nelson Pass is another phenomenon. If I had a little more skill and money, I'd attempt one or two of his DIY 'First Watt' designs. By the sound of it I'd need a lot more money to try SIT though.

Thread Information