• 09-21-2011, 02:41 PM
    E-Stat
    A different sort of SET amp
    Leave it to Nelson Pass to innovate with the use of SITs.

Single stage single ended triode behavior class A zero feedback solid state amp!

rw
  • 09-21-2011, 03:02 PM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Stat View Post
    Leave it to Nelson Pass to innovate with the use of SITs.

Single stage single ended triode behavior class A zero feedback solid state amp!

rw

SIT = "Static Induction Transistors".Somewhat trode-like, apparently, though I don't pretent to understand how or why.

Nelson Pass is (in)famous for his brilliantly crazy designs using weird topologies that are, at the same time, consistent his is zero-feedback doctrine.
  • 09-21-2011, 04:36 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    SIT = "Static Induction Transistors".Somewhat trode-like, apparently, though I don't pretent to understand how or why.

NP on the difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Nelson Pass is (in)famous for his brilliantly crazy designs using weird topologies that are, at the same time, consistent his is zero-feedback doctrine.

His philosophy of using the simplest approach to a problem echoes that of Al Einstein: “When the solution is simple, God is answering.”

Here are a few fun facts about the Pass SIT:

*They are made of silicon carbide which allows them to run up to 800 degrees C.
    *Their primary usage is found in governmental radar applications
    *They have extremely wide bandwidth

I was amused by NP's reference to their cost: click here.

rw
  • 09-22-2011, 05:01 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Stat View Post
    His philosophy of using the simplest approach to a problem echoes that of Al Einstein: “When the solution is simple, God is answering.”

Here are a few fun facts about the Pass SIT:

*They are made of silicon carbide which allows them to run up to 800 degrees C.
    *Their primary usage is found in governmental radar applications
    *They have extremely wide bandwidth

I was amused by NP's reference to their cost: click here.

rw

As for Einstein, it is well know that his references to God were humorous/disingenuous because he was an Atheist. Also, Einstein was wrong about a few things, e.g. his skepticism regarding Quantum Theory about which he commented, "God doesn't roll dice".

Nelson Pass is another phenomenon. If I had a little more skill and money, I'd attempt one or two of his DIY 'First Watt' designs. By the sound of it I'd need a lot more money to try SIT though.