Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Attn: 300a, Rga

300A

Different

One other point I have noticed is that all three used different topologies and different output parts. The Pass X250 is of course SS. The VTL uses 300bs and the SAS Audio Labs uses KT88s.

The SS is of course SS, the VTL uses directly heated cathode 300b tubes and the SAS Audio uses an indirectly heated cathode tetrode wired triode.

I am seeing that it is the design that makes the most difference, not necessarily the type of device used. Of course the best brand of each type makes a difference.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 300A
    Sorry if I came off so strong. Have seen too many people touting info at this site (other strings) and other sites over the years that are very suspicious.

I agree tubes May be a little more sensitive to setup. Haven't had enough exposure with SS to be absolutely sure on them.

RGA, which brand speakers are you using that go that low and yet go that high with only one driver? Is it a two cone arrangement, center "fuzzy" cone which produces the highs? What size driver is it?
    I never said I had a single driver speaker...I used Audio note speakers which for ~200.00 to 30kUS are all two-way two driver designs.

I used my own Audio note AN K Spe speakers which are 90db, 8 ohm(never dip below 5ohms making them vary easy to drive), 8inch woofer .75 inch silk dome. The speakers are well braced but non damped(or very very little damping). Sealed wide baffle box. 36hz - 20khz in a corner placement or ~50hz (-6db).

However I also heard their larger standmount that AN E/SEC($20k), with another of their SET amps. That speaker is 18hz to 23khz >94db 8inch woofer 1 inch tweeter Alnico magnets. Rear port, again little to no damping(they take the ferrofluid out of the driver from Vifa.

It should be noted that their SETs (all their amps I believe are sets) run to 27 watts per channel - the Ongaku On is considered in a number of quarters as the best amp on the planet - with a price of around $90,000.00US I would hope bloody well so.

There is zero problem with bass depth or impact or much else with the Soro at around $2k. I had read a lot about the SET sound and that is why when I heard it and the dealer said it was a SET I said "Seriously?"

It exhibits none of the flab or roll off I was expecting, what it did do that even my considered "good valve like" Sugden didn't do was a complete grain free treble and a "Music coming out of the black background" quality. The system was the best I have ever heard(the AN E Sec that is). And I have heard a lot of very good set-ups some do certain things better, but musically not up to snuff in the end.

Part of the reason I bought their lower model speaker was due to a striking similarity of tonal/timbral structure with the lack of the big visceral impact of the AN E.

I was expecting a SET amp to be a 3 watt thing...10-18 is still a fair amount and a lot with sensitive speakers.

Mono block SETS http://www.stereotimes.com/amp100501.shtm

300A

Multi driver

Yes RGA, the other companies also used either multi driver speakers , electrostats, or ribbons etc. for deep bass as well as gorgeous mids, highs too.
    Would rather do that than try to match sub. Never heard one yet that really sounded right.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 300A
    Yes RGA, the other companies also used either multi driver speakers , electrostats, or ribbons etc. for deep bass as well as gorgeous mids, highs too.
    Would rather do that than try to match sub. Never heard one yet that really sounded right.
    To match a sub properly(a powered sub anyway) first to do it right requires TWO subwoofers and IMO near the front speakers. You also need to use at minimum and SPL meter and likely a parametric eq. Allof which is a pain in the neck...but properly done of course you can get far deeper and world class bass relatively cheap...at least cheaper than buying some 60k set of speakers from JM labs, Dynaudio or B&W etc. Rarely very rarely have I heard subwoofers properly set-up...I assume that most dealers don't know how. They know how to sell, they just don't know anything about acoustics. I'm no expert either...so I would want a professional in to set it up...or I'd have to bother reading the endless set-up procedures of the Parametric EQ from Behringher

300A

Yes I would agree

Yes I would agree, most don't know how to set it up, although it is rather a pain in the neck.
    I also would use 2 subs if I were to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    To match a sub properly(a powered sub anyway) first to do it right requires TWO subwoofers and IMO near the front speakers. You also need to use at minimum and SPL meter and likely a parametric eq. Allof which is a pain in the neck...but properly done of course you can get far deeper and world class bass relatively cheap...at least cheaper than buying some 60k set of speakers from JM labs, Dynaudio or B&W etc. Rarely very rarely have I heard subwoofers properly set-up...I assume that most dealers don't know how. They know how to sell, they just don't know anything about acoustics. I'm no expert either...so I would want a professional in to set it up...or I'd have to bother reading the endless set-up procedures of the Parametric EQ from Behringher

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information