nightflier

Am I asking for trouble?

I am borrowing my friend's Parasound Model 2125 amplifier this weekend. It has four speaker outputs, is stable to 2 ohms and has front bezel A/B switches. I want to use it to compare two pairs of 4 ohm low efficiency speakers (my MBQs and Danes) head-to-head. I'll keep the volume down, and I'm not really looking for hi-fi, just subtle differences between the speakers.

On paper, this should work, but will this amp be struggling to switch between these speakers? Can I damage the amp this way?

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I dont see a problem with using that amp to power both pairs of subs. If you were to puysh them in any way though you will need the proper amount of supply power

nightflier

I almost forgot about this post

Def,

I did test the speakers using the one amp and results were mixed. What I found is that the bass was all but gone when two sets of speakers where connected, regardless of whether they were switched on with the front controls. I think the amp "reads" what's connected and adjusts output accordingly. I had the same bass-less output when I powered one of these speaker pairs with an HK3480 (although this amp only had one pair of speakers attached.

I also found that this amp made a small pop when I switched the speakers on-off switches. It wasn't alarming, but it did increase in volume as I increased the volume on the preamp. Never turned the thing up too loud, either, but that's just the point: why own something you don't have faith in? I also didn't care for the sound of the Parasound amp produced; there was no life in this amp, to my ears. The amp does have some nice features like auto-on, but I still sent the amp back a week later.

Long story short, I am now using two identical NAD 320BEE's to test speakers side by side. Works much better.

Thread Information