Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: amplififer

Forum Regular

amplififer

hello first time on here my problem;i have a denon 7.1 amp 90w per channel. i bi amped the front speakers so i turned it into a 5.1 but i bought some klipsh front speakers that need more power then my denon can produce.i got agood deal on them.i hear you can increase the amps wattage by putting in a bigger capaciter.am i wrong.any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Suspended
    What Klipsch model? Power is not your problem. Klipsch is one of the most efficient home speakers on the market, 90 watts should make your ears bleed. What is happening to make you think you need more power? Certain Klipsch models don't go very low even though they have big woofers so if that's the problem power wont' help, engage sub.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    If my Denon is driving my Tempo's, I doubt your Denon is having trouble with your Klipsch. However if it's more power you want, I would look for a more powerful amplifier to hook up to your pre-outs. That's my plan for now anyway. If your Denon doesn't have pre-outs, then I would look for a better receiver or separates before I started redesigning my current receiver.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Suspended
    Additional capacitors in the power supply can provide additional power, but this is intended as reserve power for instantaneous peaks such as explosions and not intended for long-term output. Also, the capacitors by design, won't discharge their voltage unless the power supply starts to fall below it's intended operating point. If the power supply can't handle the load, the capacitors supplement it until their charge is dissipated. Once the capacitors are drained (during high continuous output), the power supply can't recharge them because it's still under load, or can't charge fully. It's at this point distortion starts to rear it's ugly head which can cause damage to either the speakers, the amp/receiver, or both.

As stated before, Klipsch' are some of the most efficient speakers on the market and Denon receivers are pretty robust. What makes you feel the Denon can't drive the Klipsch'?

Forum Regular
    sorry it took so long to reply work has been crazy.okay ill tell you my set up
    dennon avr 790
    kplisch rf 83
    jbl center
    jbl sourrond
    mission 8in sub powered 2 of them
    room size 30 ft by 35 ft
    now i wanted to replicate the movie theater it does this and much better
    but when i put on cds i want to replicate a rock concert my amp shuts down because it cant power the kplisch speakers .i turn off all speakers except the klipch and the subs
    and its obvious it wants more but my amp cant supply it.i want my movies and music all in one system but i think ill have to get a seperate amp with more wattage just for the towers maybe a 2 channel amp. thanks again for your help.

Suspended
    I'd really hate to see you spend the money for a new receiver just to have the same problem. If the receiver is shutting down there must be something connected wrong. My brother has a entry level Denon and drives Infinity Kappa 7's with it. They are 12" 3-way speakers in a sealed box only about 88dB or so sensitivity. Your Klipsch would play about 3 or 4 times as loud with the same power. Are the metal strips in place that go between the binding posts? You said you have two subs, how are they hooked up? Of course, you do have a large room but that would be more of the sub's problem than the Klipsch. Try setting the mains to "small" if not already and see if that helps the receiver.

Forum Regular
    yes i did all that mister peabody.subs are hooked up by the sub out on the amp.the binding posts are removed so it can be byamped hence no more 7.1

Forum Regular
    the sensetivity on the klipch are 97.5

Forum Regular
    sorry 100db

With a sensitivity of 100, a 10wpc amp would make your ears bleed and get the neighbors calling the police. Something is wrong or you are turning the sound as loud as it can go and overheating the amp and shutting it down. Are you biamping with one amp, using the rear channels for biamping? If so, don't biamp and see what happens.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    yes thats whats happening my amp is shutting down overheating i have tried not biamping
    the same thing happens.it could the mucic i listen too.hard rock heavy metal.

Forum Regular
    i have not tried any other music

Ajani
    Strange that you should be having this problem with such highly sensitive speakers, but I suppose you really could be cranking to ear bleeding levels from right across that large room, in which case you may want to look for a more powerful amp...

Do you have a budget in mind?

Forum Regular
    im cunfused bi amping would make my amp not work so hard

Forum Regular
    no no budget just brand harmon or denon

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by superick
    no no budget just brand harmon or denon
    Why limit yourself to just Harman or Denon for a seperate 2 ch amp? You could get much more power buying a new Emotiva XPA-2 (300 watts) or a used/old stock Rotel RB-1080 (200 watts)....

Suspended
    If your Denon has preamp outs why not run the mid/high off the receiver and come out of the pre outs to a power amp to drive the bass. Look for something like an Adcom 555 or 5500, that would light them up for cheap. Or, you could join several on here and get an Emotiva XPA2.

Suspended
    I'm wondering what impedance the Denon sees when biamping the Klipsch. If 4 ohms or less it could be what the problem is..... except you did say the Denon shuts down when not biamping.

Forum Regular
    im thinking its the highs and mids that causes the amp to shut down since all the low are going through the subs that the way i set it up through the denon

Forum Regular
    im going to try setting more bass through the klipsch and see how it sounds

What model Denon and Klipsch speakers do you have? It could be as mentioned before that the speakers are rated at 4ohm and the receiver is rated at 8 ohms only. If your turning the volume way loud then this can cause the amp to over heat and shut down. The 3000 and 4000 series Denon amps should not have that problem. The 2000 series certainly could.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    You are using the bottom of the Klipsch, aren't you?

How are you bi amping ?

I've got a 7.1 Marantz receiver that I have bi-wired . I've got the front pre-outs on the receiver going into a two channel Adcom amp 5400 and then my front speakers connected to it bi-wired.

Heres bi amping.

Heres bi wiring.

Now which one are you doing?

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    You are using the bottom of the Klipsch, aren't you?
    No...I think he has all the lows going to the sub.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by superick
    yes thats whats happening my amp is shutting down overheating i have tried not biamping
    the same thing happens.it could the mucic i listen too.hard rock heavy metal.
    If this is the case...you either have something configured wrong, or your Denon is faulty...you should have it checked out.

frenchmon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information