ohms & bi-amping ?

here's the situation;

my front speakers are 6ohm (3 ohm min.) and 87 sensitivity
    I want to bi-amp them with a pair or Rotel amps by running the two in bridged mode.

Problem is, the manual states in bridged mode they need to power 8-16 ohm speakers.

I really want to use the amps for budget reasons...can i overlook the manual and bi-amp them or will the amps cause damage?

Well, you most certainly CAN overlook the manual's suggestions but be aware that you run a very, very good chance of frying the amp.

When you bridge an amp. it "sees" the speaker load (impedance) as one half of what it is. So, while your speaker has a 6 ohm impedance on an unbridged amp, once you bridge the two channels, it is for all intents and purposes, a three ohm speaker. ...or, as you imply in your post, it will be a 1.5 ohm minimum.

...and amps generally don't like low impedance loads and express their displeasure by throwing very expensive tantrums.

Forum Regular

Just a few questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    here's the situation;

my front speakers are 6ohm (3 ohm min.) and 87 sensitivity
    I want to bi-amp them with a pair or Rotel amps by running the two in bridged mode.

Problem is, the manual states in bridged mode they need to power 8-16 ohm speakers.

I really want to use the amps for budget reasons...can i overlook the manual and bi-amp them or will the amps cause damage?
    Which Rotel amp do you own?

Why do you want to bi-amp your speakers in the first place?

Also, why bridge them? Why not forget bridging and just bi-amp with them? This way the amps should be able to drive your speakers more effciently.

Quote Originally Posted by bturk667
    Which Rotel amp do you own?

Why do you want to bi-amp your speakers in the first place?

Also, why bridge them? Why not forget bridging and just bi-amp with them? This way the amps should be able to drive your speakers more effciently.

markw, great post....funny as hell...but good information.

the Rotel in question is the RB980BX (120x2). I was approaching the bi-amp setup based on my owner's manual.
    My speaker manual states bi-amping usually increases performance, but that is another topic for a later time.

Since its a 2 channel amp, i was considering buying another and using 1 amp per speaker. My speaker's owners manual states how to bi-amp as well as the amp's owners manual.

Interesting thing, the speaker and amp manual suggest two connection methods of bi-amping, and the speaker's manual shows vertical or horizontal bi-amping. Sounds like fun.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    markw, great post....funny as hell...but good information.

the Rotel in question is the RB980BX (120x2). I was approaching the bi-amp setup based on my owner's manual.
    My speaker manual states bi-amping usually increases performance, but that is another topic for a later time.

It seems like this would be a great time to talk about the increase in performance. Why else would you even consider doing this if not for the increase in performance? So what do you think you might get. Also, what are you looking for in the way of increased performance?

Interesting thing, the speaker and amp manual suggest two connection methods of bi-amping, and the speaker's manual shows vertical or horizontal bi-amping. Sounds like fun.
    Well, there is only one way to find out, isn't there? So go have some fun, and let us know how it turned out.

Thread Information