preamp?
    intergrated amp ?
    or
    stereo reciever?

and is it better for it to be switchable ohms
    like 8 to 16

thanx

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Welcome to AudioReview. I think for you starting out you would want either an integrated amp or receiver. An integrated amp contains the preamp and the power amp. A receiver contains those two with the addition of a tuner for radio. If you listen to a lot of radio I suggest a receiver. If you do not then an integrated amp might be best for you. There are many good brands in a budget price range. Brands such as NAD, CambridgeAudio, Onkyo offer both receivers and integrated amps.

I am sure you will be receiving a lot more suggestions from other members. If you can let us know your budget we could narrow down our suggestions.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanianmckinnon
    im slowy building a stereo for my room and its only for
    music im only gonna be running 2 channels and a sub
    what is the best thing to use ?

amp ?
    preamp?
    intergrated amp ?
    or
    stereo reciever?

like 8 to 16

thanx
    Not sure how much experience you have with good quality stereo, but I suggest buying used stuff and working yourself up. I've got a $35 H/K integrated amp that is great. Try Craigslist. Thats where the best deals are--and gobs of scammers to!

But in general, separates are the best way to go. Takes time to get and more expensive.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Forum Regular
    yeah im just starting my dad got the music bug in me
    i want to learn as much as i can and i usually look for
    used stuff thats where i go all my equiment from so far
    im slowly gonna build up adventually id like to get some klipsch rf 7s
    or b&w 603 s3s once i get the money but im just starting now but
    im only using it for music but thanx for the advice

Chicago IL

Wink

Wow if you go directly to Klipsch or B&W speakers, will be a good start for you! I remember when I started I had a miserable precision electronics tube amplifier and old Scott speakers. If you start with the speakers you want you will be more that satisfy. In my opinion get a good amplifier with preamplifier and good equalizer so you can have good sound. Once you get that the cd player and the other adds to it will be an easy pick.

Forum Regular
    yeah those speakers are my next step but i gotta get a good
    int. amp first to power them cause they need huge power
    but my first stereo isnt bad so far condsidering im only 18

Quote Originally Posted by ryanianmckinnon
    im slowy building a stereo for my room and its only for
    music im only gonna be running 2 channels and a sub
    what is the best thing to use ?

amp ?
    preamp?
    intergrated amp ?
    or
    stereo reciever?

like 8 to 16

thanx
    If you're just trying to get strarted, a receiver sounds like the best way. There are many great receivers from the 1970s floating around estate sales, garage sales, Craigslist and eBay. Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer, Kenwood, Yamaha, Harman/Kardon, etc. all made some solid gear back then and it's often in still in good condition.

Suspended
    Typically, either separates or integrated will provide better sound quality over a receiver. Receivers are made as a one box solution and only so much can go in one box.

Cambridge and NAD are good suggestions as well as Creek or Jolida. Some of the budget priced integrated amps are low power although they are quality watts.

My recommendation for an 18 year old just getting started would be to look for used Adcom separates. These are cheap on the used market and are good at their retail price and a steal used. The amps are very powerful, usually conservatively rated, and provide a hefty bass slam. My local Craigslist was showing a gfa-555 at $300.00, this amp originally was close to $1k and does 200x2 into 8 ohms. A more recent version is the gfa-5500. Many of Adcom's preamps have tuners built in look for "gtp".

If you get an amp or receiver that can produce enough current you don't need switches 4/8 ohm. Adcom can certainly handle it. In receivers Hk or Onkyo would be the one to produce more current than typical receivers.

If you are on a tight budget those vintage receivers that some one mentioned before can be had for $50.00 give or take on Craigslist or thrift stores. When I was your age I got started with a Realistic receiver my dad bought me for graduation. All those older receivers from the 70's have all discrete circuits, which just means no IC chips, everything is all laid out on actual circuit boards. So the sound is pretty good. You'll recognize what we call "vintage" the receiver will have the lit up analog FM dial all the way across the front, no digital read out or presets. Good hunting.

Forum Regular
    yeah im open for anything i just want something that sounds good and that doesnt cost tons
    but what i say is you get what you pay for and thats usually true i was thinking about getting a nad or something like that i want to do my research first and see about whats in my price range but that advice deffinetly helps

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    If you're just trying to get strarted, a receiver sounds like the best way. There are many great receivers from the 1970s floating around estate sales, garage sales, Craigslist and eBay. Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer, Kenwood, Yamaha, Harman/Kardon, etc. all made some solid gear back then and it's often in still in good condition.
    Yup +1 on that, Go vintage, and get the absolute most for your money. Receiver would serve your purpose, but you will get the best bang for your buck with separates. That way its way easier to experiment, learn, and easier on the wallet to upgrade. And the speakers you listed are not very forgiving. So cheap is out of the question if you want those b&ws to sound good. There are some good deals to be had on craigslist, garage sales, and the local goodwill. I would be on the lookout for something made by sansui, TU/AU line, or kenwood, or pioneer. Buttt if you luck upon some Adcom, Hafler, Crown, mcintosh. for the same price range, grab it. Remember to have fun, and enjoy the ride. Good luck.

Forum Regular
    yeah older is sometimes better but yeah the speakers i have right now (acoustic research ar 226 ps ) they need power and my receiver does good but adventually id like to get an int. amp and see what the speakers can do then cause they sound good now like the receiver it only an 08 and i got it for 190 but i cant imagine what they would sound like with something that was 500 or more but if i had the money id go to mcintosh

How much do you want to spend on the integrated or receiver or whatever? It seems to me if you aim for something like the Adcom gear mentioned above you're already overshooting your speakers. I'd be looking at a speaker upgrade if I had Adcom separates.

Forum Regular
    yeah if i got alot better gear id deffinetly do a speaker upgrade
    im pretty sure i know what i want

Adcom is a very straight forward, simple, clean amp. Buttt if you look around at the threads you will see adcom has no speaker protection circuitry. you can inline fuse the speakers for at least some protection. Or, parts express sells an add on circuit just for the adcoms.

Suspended
    Speaker protection for amp or speakers? I have driven a pair of Dynaudio 60's with an Adcom 5400 and 5500 with no issues with either amp or my speakers. It's been a while since I've seen Adcom specs, I usually don't concern myself with protection, but It's hard to imagine no protection circuit at all inside the amp for it's protection. I know many of the Adcom amps provide a warning LED to let you know when you've crossed the line of good judgment.

Suspended
    A quick Google search showed a couple reviews in Stereophile and a couple other articles and the Adcom amps definitely do have thermal protection. If they can drive my Dyn's without breaking a sweat at the vollumes I've had them at there should be no concerns with application of some common sense. Adcom isn't Mac but it will give you a taste of high quality on a budget.

Forum Regular
    ok thats what im looking for something that i can afford on a budget but is also gonna sound high quality

Chicago IL
    go to craigslist . org and find your city where you live. Go to electronics and see for any good deals around your area! If you don't see anything on good price keep hunting and one day you will get a good deal. The good thing on craigslist is that you can see the speakers and hear them before you buy. Get to know the site and you will start getting good stuff from there, believe me.

Suspended
    I believe Canada has something similar to Craigslist but I forgot what it's called. I have some Adcom separates but selling and shipping to Canada gets complicated. I haven't posted them any where yet, I'm not in a big hurry to do anything with them.

Suspended
    I have only been to my local CL, I bet a city like Chicago would have a good selection. I might take a look just out of curiosity. Our area sucks. There's a good bit of vintage stuff, a lot of car audio and games, higher end is far and few.

I think ryanianmckinnon might be a little far from Chicago. But anyway...It largely depends on an individual's budget. I hope your speakers are good, because without good speakers you could just wind up wondering why we're all bragging about separates.

Chicago IL
    There is a big choice but lately there is nothing good. During the summer people post a lot of stuff! In the winter it gets slow! I buy and sell stuff all the time so I know!

Suspended
    dakatabg, is in Chicago. Hello..... I can read the "location". Just messing with you. ryan is in BC. A nice walk from Chicago, I wouldn't want to do that in the winter though.

Ryan is the guy with the Acoustic Research speakers. AR has had some nice stuff in their line. I'm not familiar with his model.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Ryan is the guy with the Acoustic Research speakers. AR has had some nice stuff in their line. I'm not familiar with his model.
    Me, neither, but I read the reviews here on AR and the reviewers mostly paid less than $200. I know you can't go purely by price, but in audio gear there's no free lunch.

Forum Regular
    yeah im a little far from Chicago but yeah but the ARs that i have were discountinued as far as i know but the ones i have are only 5 years old so they will do me good till i get an upgrade but thats what i usually do is look around on like usedvictoria or craigslist to find deals on stuff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information