Forum Regular

Question Amp/Pre-Amp Combo Recommendations

Greetings everyone:

I envision some major upgrades to my electronics set-up over the next year or so, following the purchase of a new pair of speakers. I am leaning toward purchasing a pair of PSB Platinum T6s in the near future. As far as major electronics upgrades go, at the moment I find the idea of a Musical Fidelity A 308 pre/Parasound Halo A 21 pairing rather attractive (both items are available from time to time on the used market, and at very reasonable prices). On the amp side of the equation, I might even extend my budget a bit and opt for a used pair of Parasound JC 1s if the price is right.

Does anyone have thoughts on the compatability of the Musical Fidelity pre-amp/ Parasound Halo amp combo? What other amp/pre-amp combos can you recommend for my prefered speakers (the T6s) while remaining within my anticipated budget range of $5-6K? Ideally I would purchase the amp/pre combo used. Do you think my hypothetical upgrades will work well with the PSB T6s?

BTW, here is my current set-up:

Aragon 28K Mk 2 pre-amp
    Parasound A23 power amp
    Epos ES 22 speakers
    CEC 5100Z TL CD player (used as a dedicated transport)
    Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3
    Musical Fidelity X-10 v3 Tube Buffer
    Rega 25 Turntable
    Grado Statement Son. cart.
    Grade phono stage
    Kimber Cable Hereo Interconnects
    PS Audio Ref. speaker cables (bi-wire version)
    Salamander racks
    Monster Cable line conditioner

Thanks for any suggestions.

Amandela.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    The A308 will certainly be an excellent pre. Where do you see it showing up "reasonably", or is your definition of reasonable a little higher than mine?

I haven't heard the Parasound, but from having recently looked at the specs, it certainly looks like it'll be fine.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

A308 pre pricing range

Dusty:

I occassionally see used A308 pre-amps for sale by individuals on Audiogon in the 1200-1300 price range. Dealers tend to charge higher prices for their A308 stock, in the 1600-1800 price range, sometime less. A unit that recently sold on Audiogon featured an asking price of 1395.

Thinking of picking up a used A308 for your system?

Good listening.

Amandela77

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Seriously.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

I guess any system can be upgraded, but...

Quote Originally Posted by amandela77
    Greetings everyone:

I envision some major upgrades to my electronics set-up over the next year or so, following the purchase of a new pair of speakers. I am leaning toward purchasing a pair of PSB Platinum T6s in the near future. As far as major electronics upgrades go, at the moment I find the idea of a Musical Fidelity A 308 pre/Parasound Halo A 21 pairing rather attractive (both items are available from time to time on the used market, and at very reasonable prices). On the amp side of the equation, I might even extend my budget a bit and opt for a used pair of Parasound JC 1s if the price is right.

Does anyone have thoughts on the compatability of the Musical Fidelity pre-amp/ Parasound Halo amp combo? What other amp/pre-amp combos can you recommend for my prefered speakers (the T6s) while remaining within my anticipated budget range of $5-6K? Ideally I would purchase the amp/pre combo used. Do you think my hypothetical upgrades will work well with the PSB T6s?

Aragon 28K Mk 2 pre-amp
    Parasound A23 power amp
    Epos ES 22 speakers
    Rega 25 Turntable
    Grade phono stage
    Salamander racks

Amandela.
    ...hard to imagine any serious holes in your current rig. It appears you've chosen your components with great care. I recall the Aragon as a very nice preamp and I'd compare it very carefully with anything you're thinking of buying to make sure you're upgrading rather than just swapping. I'd go with the new speakers first (if memory serves, you should get a nice boost in the LF among other things with this upgrade) and then spend some time getting to know them and how your current electronics mate with them. A purchase of new electronics doesn't always follow new speakers.

Good luck! These are fun times, no?
    Form is out. Content makes its own form.
    -Sam Rivers

The format doesn't matter. The music is all that matters.
    - Musicoverall

Forum Regular

Re: Sound Advice

Thanks for the sound advice, Musicoverall. You are absolutely right.

Amandela77

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by amandela77
    Greetings everyone:

Aragon 28K Mk 2 pre-amp
    Parasound A23 power amp
    Epos ES 22 speakers
    Rega 25 Turntable
    Grade phono stage
    Salamander racks

Amandela.
    I`m thinking about same combination - Musical Fidelity A-308Ppre / Parasound Halo A-21 Now i use my Musical Fidelity A-308pre with Adcom GFA-5500 but i`m going to buy Parasound Halo A-21 or Adcom GFA-5802 istead of GFA-5500. Unfortunatly i`ve never heard this combinations. If i buy Parasound i inform you about my opinion.
    So can anybody tell me which amp is better - Parasound or Adcom?

By all accounts ...

Quote Originally Posted by St@N
    I`m thinking about same combination - Musical Fidelity A-308Ppre / Parasound Halo A-21 Now i use my Musical Fidelity A-308pre with Adcom GFA-5500 but i`m going to buy Parasound Halo A-21 or Adcom GFA-5802 istead of GFA-5500. Unfortunatly i`ve never heard this combinations. If i buy Parasound i inform you about my opinion.
    So can anybody tell me which amp is better - Parasound or Adcom?
    The Parasound will easily beat the Adcom. However that's hearsay: I haven't heard either personally.

Thread Information