Forum Regular

Amp overheating?

Hello everyone...I pulled a bone-headed move today...I usually cover my amp with a towel to prevent dust and crap getting into it. I shut off the power on the amp with my remote (which is apparently low on batteries) and covered it with the towel. Well, it never shut off. After a few hours I came back and noticed it was still on. It was so hot you could barely touch the surface. What is the likelihood that it is damaged? I don't know much about the internal parts and their resistance to heat. Music still played okay on it after I let it cool off for awhile. It's a Marantz PM7000 if that helps.

Thanks.

Sounds like you've answered your own question.

Quote Originally Posted by tommc
    Music still played okay on it after I let it cool off for awhile.
    Just doing my part to help stamp out Audio Nervosa.

Hello everyone...I pulled a bone-headed move today...I usually cover my amp with a towel to prevent dust and crap getting into it.
    Do you check your gas tank with a match too?

Stop doing this. What is more important:
    1) Dusty parts that you never see inside a working amp?
    2) Having a nice, shiny new doorstop that looks as clean inside as it does outside? Of course, it doesn't do sh!t now, but it sure is clean!

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Looks like you

Hello everyone...I pulled a bone-headed move today...I usually cover my amp with a towel to prevent dust and crap getting into it. I shut off the power on the amp with my remote (which is apparently low on batteries) and covered it with the towel. Well, it never shut off. After a few hours I came back and noticed it was still on. It was so hot you could barely touch the surface. What is the likelihood that it is damaged? I don't know much about the internal parts and their resistance to heat. Music still played okay on it after I let it cool off for awhile. It's a Marantz PM7000 if that helps.

Thanks.
    Dodged a bullit this time. Usually good components will have thermal protection, so I don't think you damaged anything.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Turntable anorak!
    I use an old Yamaha 75 watt per channel receiver for DJ-ing parties, weddings etc.
    It always gets too hot to touch by the end of the evening and, on the very first occasion I used it, I made the mistake of sitting a CD player on top of it. The CD player was overheated by the amp and stopped working halfway through the evening!!

What i am saying is - forget the towel and don't worry too much about overheating. you'll have to really push an amplifier to make it fail and, as Geoffcin says, a modern design should be well thermally protected!

Adam.
    Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Forum Regular

Thanks

Thanks for the replies...no more towel covering the amp. Glad that the amp is still kicking...

Thread Information