Thread: Amp on/off?

AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Amp on/off?

I recently bought my 1st amplifier (a Rotel RB-1080). Every time I turn on the amp, my ceiling lights flicker on and off for a second. Is it normal for an amp to pull that much power when turning on/off? Someone told me that he always leave his amp on all of the time and I am wondering if this is a normal practice or if I should be turning it on and off each time I am using it?

I blew the house fuse and the lights sometimes dimm when i turn on my 100lbs Krell

I just turn mine off if i dont listen for a day or two, otherwise i leave it on.

Have fun
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marrj
    I recently bought my 1st amplifier (a Rotel RB-1080). Every time I turn on the amp, my ceiling lights flicker on and off for a second. Is it normal for an amp to pull that much power when turning on/off? Someone told me that he always leave his amp on all of the time and I am wondering if this is a normal practice or if I should be turning it on and off each time I am using it?
    This may or may not even apply to your situation, but it's possible that your power company can replace the existing power transformer for your residence with a larger one. I just bought a house that has a long distribution run from the main transmission line. The Alabama Power Co. engineer for my area told me that they would replace the power transformer with a bigger one if I experienced flickering, or dimming lights. After doing a little research, we found out that the larger transformer had already been put into service. (The previous owner's uncle works for Alabama Power.) I live in a small town where everybody knows everybody, so it's easy to get SOME things done. (Of course it has its drawbacks, too.)

Power flicker.

The debate about heat from leaving it on vs. surges from on and off has raged for 50 years with no clear winners. It seems safe enough to go either way.

I have a large, heavy amp (240Watts channel, 90lbs) it causes the lights to flicker but I always leave it on so there is no warm up period before the music settles to the final sound.

I'm not familiar with the ratings of a Rotel 1080 but if the power flickers with a smaller amp (say 100 Watts or less) then your wiring is unllikely to deliver the best sound your amp is capable of and you should maybe consider plugging it into a different outlet, a power condiditoning system or possibly looking into your transformer or house wiring.

Forum Regular
    I would advise, if at all possible, install a dedicated circuit for your amp only. It sounds to me that your amp may be starved for amps. It also may be drawing enough current to affect your other components. This assumes you have enough "house power" to begin with say 200 Amp service. If you do decide to do this and in fact you have 200 amp service and you still have a problem as you have described, the power comany may be able to help.

I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit for my ARC VT100 and another dedicated 20 amp circuit for all my other equipment.
    Last edited by Arc45; 02-14-2005 at 07:14 AM.
    ARC VT100 MKIII , ARC LS-15 , Anthem PRE1P Phono Stage
    Acoustics Signature TT , Adcom GCD-750 CD
    Tascam 130 Cassette Deck ,Transparent Audio Plus Speaker Cable , Transparent Audio Plus Balanced interconnects
    Martin Logan Ascents , HG 10 SX Velodyne Sub
    Pioneer TX-9100 Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by marrj
    Common. Normal ? What's normal. There are cicuits availabe that amps can use to minimize the effect. Yours my or may not have one and even if it does it may not be perfect. Ho hum.

I never leave amps on. Although the chances are small, fires do happen.

Thread Information