Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Amp for my 2 channel

My birthday is coming up this summer and I want to add an amp to my 2 channel system, budget $400 max. Used is fine. I eventually will upgrade to a better pre-amp, but that will be later. I plan on keeping the KG4's until I die.

I was thinking of an Emotiva UPA-2 new or a used NAD, I have seen the used 2200, at least 10 years old, go for $250 or so.

The Emo headquarters is near my house so I could try a UPA-2 and easily return it.

I was wondering what you guys think would be the best fit for my 2 channel system.

Thanks
    Hitachi P505602 plasma
    Sony BDP-S360 blu-ray
    Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver
    Infinity P152 front L & R
    Infinity PC250 center
    2 Emotiva Ultra-10 subs
    Polk Audio R150 surrounds

2 channel
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated amp
    Emotiva ERC-1 CD player
    Technics SL-1200M3D/Shure M97xe
    Onkyo T-4010 tuner
    Modded Musical Fidelity V-LPS phono preamp/Pyramid PS
    1987 Heresy II Signature Editions/external crossovers

Suspended
    The UPA-2 would be a good choice and as new you'd have a warranty. Used I'd look for Adcom or Parasound. In my opinion the Adcom is a more robust sound than NAD. The only Parasound I've owned was a 750, it seemed to be more clean sounding but lacked the bottom end of Adcom. You wouldn't need much power for the Klipsch and could pick up an Adcom gfa-535 for under $200.00, or maybe a newer gfa-5300. I'm not sure how much Rotel amps go for on the used market but that's also something to look at.

If you can hold out Emo usually has a party or open house type of thing during one weekend in the summer and they give good discounts to visitors so your money could go further at that time. I think it's called "Emo Fest". Keep watch on the site or listen to their Podcasts.

I totally agree with Mr. Peabody with the amps mentioned. I would add that the Adcom 545 series 2 is what I use and I used to sell Adcom in the 90's and it seemed to be the cleanest and overall best sounding of the 500 series Adcoms so look for it and also the 5000 series there was the 5300 and 5500 which were both excellent sounding models but the 5500 would be more power than your speakers need which is not necessarily a bad thing just that I think the 545 series 2 would be a perfect fit for your system, its not to bright and has the low end to make your speakers come alive and they are to be had used at good prices, well below the $400 price you set. But if Emo is that close to you maybe you could try one of their amps and see how it does. I have heard Emo's are brighter sounding which might be a negative to your KG-4's since they are horn driven and might sound overly bright with a bright amp but I have not heard one myself to confirm that Emo amps are bright so my opinion is just from reading about them but I will say I would go Adcom before parasound and Nad any day from what I have heard in my life but I have not heard all of the offerings from these brands and it seems that every model seems to offer something different. I have heard the Halo Parasound stuff is really good but they are way past your price range and frankly with your price range used would be the way to go to get something good. In my opinion looking at the circuits and design I would go used Adcom over the UPA Emotiva as far as sound quality concerns. That is my opinion and is subject to change upon hearing said amps.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

I will add that a good preamp makes all the difference in the world. I was running my Adcom with my Yamaha receiver before upgrading to a Nuforce preamp and I will say that it does make a difference so any amp you go with will improve the sound but a great preamp is the heart of the system that most people overlook as a sound quality changer but it does effect the sound quality in a big way and it makes sense for it to since the volume control, preamp circuits, and inputs all go through this unit to be switched to what you are wanting to listen to and that means that it does a lot of work and needs to be quality built to get the most out or your amp and speakers. so do dismiss that as a upgrade once you settle on a good amp.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

You may want to check this out...http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....Original-Owner.

I have this amp and its a very good amp.

Heres another good one. http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ower-Amplifier
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

of course you'll get the same emo recommendations around here, but i'd recommend a used name brand amp. Give the Anthem PVA2 some consideration before settling. This model has been out many years and can be found used for around your budget or lower.

http://www.anthemav.com/products/ant...a-series/pva-2

I own a PVA model (multichannel) and really enjoy everything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_ View Post
    of course you'll get the same emo recommendations around here, but i'd recommend a used name brand amp. Give the Anthem PVA2 some consideration before settling. This model has been out many years and can be found used for around your budget or lower.

http://www.anthemav.com/products/ant...a-series/pva-2

I own a PVA model (multichannel) and really enjoy everything about it.
    can that be had within his budget?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by cyto View Post
    My birthday is coming up this summer and I want to add an amp to my 2 channel system, budget $400 max. Used is fine. I eventually will upgrade to a better pre-amp, but that will be later. I plan on keeping the KG4's until I die.

I was thinking of an Emotiva UPA-2 new or a used NAD, I have seen the used 2200, at least 10 years old, go for $250 or so.

The Emo headquarters is near my house so I could try a UPA-2 and easily return it.

I was wondering what you guys think would be the best fit for my 2 channel system.

Thanks
    Well, if your willing to do minimal DIY fussing, I'd recommend the Class D Audio SDS-254, (see here). Where transparency and air are concerned, this will trounce any of the old Adcoms, NADs (for sure), and probably most Parasounds. The sound might a little "neutral" for some people's preference, though.

BTW, I'm not trashing Adcom. I enjoy a GFA-555II for awhile; it had a pleasant, slightly "earthy" sound, but like I say, didn't have the resolution of the CDA.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Well, if your willing to do minimal DIY fussing, I'd recommend the Class D Audio SDS-254, (see here). Where transparency and air are concerned, this will trounce any of the old Adcoms, NADs (for sure), and probably most Parasounds. The sound might a little "neutral" for some people's preference, though.

BTW, I'm not trashing Adcom. I enjoy a GFA-555II for awhile; it had a pleasant, slightly "earthy" sound, but like I say, didn't have the resolution of the CDA.

Hey Feanor...why dont you just put your amp where your money is....send it to me seeing I have the ADCOM and I can tell you if its better?

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Hey Feanor...why dont you just put your amp where your money is....send it to me seeing I have the ADCOM and I can tell you if its better?
    I couldn't stand to be without it so long, Frenchie

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    can that be had within his budget?
    I've seen them on audiogon for as low as $300, while most hover in the $400-500 range.

Ajani

Thanks
    Since Emo is near your house, then you really have nothing to lose with a free in-home-trial... I don't recommend Emo products to overseas customers like myself (based on the issues I've had - especially the cost of shipping a heavy amp back to the US is service is needed - but none of that would affect you as you can just carry it right back to Emo if you have an issue)...

Clearly, if you are willing to buy used then there are LOADS of alternatives available... Same if you are handy with a soldering gun and opt for DIY... However, I don't really see Emo gear as being aimed at those persons; rather I see it is as intended for persons who want New, fully assembled gear in which case there is very little competition, with similar specs and sound quality, available at the price...

Great responses! Now I have a couple of questions:

1) Would the Adcom GFA-535 have enough power? I like the prices and physical size. The Technics I am now using is 50wpc and I was wondering if a 60wpc amp (although separate) would offer much more?

2) I see quite few GFA-5400's on Ebay, would that be a good option?
    Hitachi P505602 plasma
    Sony BDP-S360 blu-ray
    Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver
    Infinity PC250 center
    2 Emotiva Ultra-10 subs

2 channel
    Emotiva ERC-1 CD player
    Onkyo T-4010 tuner

From your comment it would seem you are using it as your "main" amplifier. May I presume that you like it as much as when you first built it? I've been waiting for some comments based on long term listening. C'mon out with it! Is it all that and a bag of chips? How much longer do you intend using it? Do you have a replacement in mind? If so, what? Your input here will have a large influence on me if no one else.

The two bridged Crown XLS-402's are doing just fine from 85Hz down driving my subs. Although I love the sound of my worked Dyna MK-III's their 60 Watts is just not enough. I'm saving my nickels for a couple of 200 Watt tubed mono blocks but I need more (affordable) power now.

Give us the skinny!
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Great responses! Now I have a couple of questions:

1) Would the Adcom GFA-535 have enough power? I like the prices and physical size. The Technics I am now using is 50wpc and I was wondering if a 60wpc amp (although separate) would offer much more?

2) I see quite few GFA-5400's on Ebay, would that be a good option?
    Answers:
    1)Yes, it probably has enough power. These are not "receiver" Watts. However, the difference between 50 and 60 Watt's is negligable on the dBW scale. IMO a 535 will sound like at least twice the power when compared to a Technics receiver. Any of those Adcoms will drive (maybe not very loud) Apogee Scintilla's when strapped for 1 Ohm operation. If you try that with your Technics it will either go into protection mode or let out all the magic smoke.

2) Yes. The 545 and 5400 series have 100WPC and act like more. One of those is what I would be looking for.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    From your comment it would seem you are using it as your "main" amplifier. May I presume that you like it as much as when you first built it? I've been waiting for some comments based on long term listening. C'mon out with it! Is it all that and a bag of chips? How much longer do you intend using it? Do you have a replacement in mind? If so, what? Your input here will have a large influence on me if no one else.

The two bridged Crown XLS-402's are doing just fine from 85Hz down driving my subs. Although I love the sound of my worked Dyna MK-III's their 60 Watts is just not enough. I'm saving my nickels for a couple of 200 Watt tubed mono blocks but I need more (affordable) power now.

Give us the skinny!
    Joe, yeah, I'm still using the Class D Audio SDS-258 as my main amp. In fact a couple of days ago I switched back to Monarchy SM-70 Pros for a few selections but I didn't like it -- a bit too warm and "fleshy" after the CDA.

My earlier impressions are unchanged. This is an extremely transparent amp, grain-free, and totally neutral with true instrument & voice timbres. I easily tamed what seemed like a bit of brightness by installing 1 ohm resistors ahead of the my Magneplanar QR tweeters.

However what I call "neutral" some might call "lean". Coming off Dyna Mk III's that's likey how you would find them that way. But dang! I really love to hear my Maggies drive by the Dynas.

Suspended
    I hope this isn't some kind of violation. I just got this and thought it pertinent to the original post.

Memorial Day Weekend Sale!
    Take advantage of huge summer savings during our weekend-only Memorial Day Sale.

While supplies last. Sale ends Monday, May 30, 2011.
    UPA-2 Two Channel Audio Amplifier: $350.00
    UPA-1 Mono-Block Power Amplifier: $314.00
    USP-1 Stereo Premplifier: $404.00
    ERD-1 Surround Speakers: $359.00
    ERM 6.2 LCR Monitor: $269.00
    ERM 6.3 LCR Monitor: $539.00
    ERT 8.3 Reference Towers: $1438.00
    UAW 6.2 In-Wall Speakers: $134.00
    UAW 8.2 In-Wall Speakers: $152.00

Gearing-Up for Emofest!
    It's that time of year again... Emofest, our hugely popular customer appreciation and open house weekend, is September
    3-4, 2011. Bring your family, friends, Lounge Lizards, even strangers, if you must. We'll have activities for everyone! AND it's free to attend.
    Get more info and register for Emofest here.

New Podcast
    A new podcast is up! Be sure to check out the news section of our website for the lates updates on products and the company.

>> Listen to the latest podcast <<

Thank you and have a great weekend!
    Your friends at Emotiva

Looks like the links didn't come through but you know where to go.

Oh yeah...I know that feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_ View Post
    I've seen them on audiogon for as low as $300, while most hover in the $400-500 range.
    $300...that would be a deal.

Forum Regular
    Since your Klipsch speakers are highly efficient at 94 dbs your are indeed fortunate to be in S.E.T. territory. This class A single ended amp from Musical Paradise for $260 will sound better with your speakers than anything mentioned in this thread. It's 6.5 wpc is more than you'll ever need with 94 db speakers, I promise.

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/mp/ind...products_id=75

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    Since your Klipsch speakers are highly efficient at 94 dbs your are indeed fortunate to be in S.E.T. territory. This class A single ended amp from Musical Paradise for $260 will sound better with your speakers than anything mentioned in this thread. It's 6.5 wpc is more than you'll ever need with 94 db speakers, I promise.

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/mp/ind...products_id=75
    What do the others here think of this option? I like the idea of a tube amp and I see that they have a 7 day return policy.. Excuse my ignorance Poultrygeist, but what is S.E.T.?
    Hitachi P505602 plasma
    Sony BDP-S360 blu-ray
    Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver
    Infinity PC250 center
    2 Emotiva Ultra-10 subs

2 channel
    Emotiva ERC-1 CD player
    Onkyo T-4010 tuner

What do the others here think of this option? I like the idea of a tube amp and I see that they have a 7 day return policy.. Excuse my ignorance Poultrygeist, but what is S.E.T.?
    "Single-Ended Triode" is a different sound from any of the solid state amps previously mentioned. Some people worship the sound, others not so much. The latter argue that the sound, though charming, as little to do with sonic accuracy.

I'm also skeptical about 6.5 wpc; a lot will depend on the size of your room and you willingness to listen at no more than moderate levels.

A SET is a tube amplifier that uses one tube for the output. Triode refers to the tube's design. In this case a tube with three elements. There are single ended SS amps also. Almost all single ended amplifiers are relatively low power devices. There are some exceptions such as WAVAC and Kron. They both make SET's with upwards of 100 Watt outputs.

Most amplifiers are push pull devices which need two or more pairs of output devices.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    "Single-Ended Triode" is a different sound from any of the solid state amps previously mentioned. Some people worship the sound, others not so much. The latter argue that the sound, though charming, as little to do with sonic accuracy.

I'm also skeptical about 6.5 wpc; a lot will depend on the size of your room and you willingness to listen at no more than moderate levels.
    This is why you need more experience Feanor - You are saying a 6.5wpc amp can't play a speaker above moderate levels. You need to listen to better systems if you really believe this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    This is why you need more experience Feanor - You are saying a 6.5wpc amp can't play a speaker above moderate levels. You need to listen to better systems if you really believe this statement.
    By "better systems" do you really mean more efficient speakers? Or are you being condescending?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information