Thread: New system

AR Newbie Registered Member

New system

Hi everybody,

We've just finished construction work on our new house and now I'm looking for a good stereo system. I already visited quite some shops but and I know I have to buy something that sounds good for me but I would still appreciate some input from you. (after all, most salespeople only want to sell the stuff that's good for their wallets)

budget: 2000€ or around 2500$

What I'm looking for:
    Amp (with this budget probably an integrated amp)
    Tuner
    CD player
    Speakers (Only have room for bookshelves so I will possibly need to combine these with a subwoofer)

My music taste is very varied and I listen to everything from rock to pop, soundtracks and sometimes classical music.

I live in Belgium so some stuff may not be available to me

Thanks

tube or solid state?
    dynamic, planer, or 'stats?
    decaf or regular?
    What have you heard that you liked? What didn't you like?
    The combinations are endless, please be a little more specific.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    If you're in Belgium you should have access to a lot of good gear. You could try my speakers the Audio Note AN K SPe - they're a standmount and you can place them pretyt close to walls or better yet in a corner. Not a lot of reviews - but worth an audition. They're $2300US but I bet they're much cheaper in Europe since Audio note is British.
    I got this from Audio note's site fr Belgium The name sounds like they're into tubes so might be a fun shop to visit:

Tube Audio Philosophy BVBA
    Kontichsesteenweg 101
    B-2630 Aartselaar
    BELGIUM
    Tel: 0032 3458 4848
    Fax: 0032 3457 8520
    Mr Herman Vorsselmans
    Email: tap@pandora.be

Try and get the magazine Hi-fi Choice - it might help you get some good advice on electronics. Sugden, Arcam, Roksan - are good. the Sugden a21a is one of the best amplifiers available and you may find some used over there. Don't rely on the magazine though because plenty of stuff tha gets four is way better to my ears than what they give 5. Then again sometimes I agree with them totally.

I would put the bulk into the speaker and buy something perhaps as little in price as Cambridge Audio or NAD. I would rather run the AN K with a Cambridge Audio amp and cd player than a B&W 602S3 with YBA.

Quad and Von Sweikert are pretty popular and may also be cheaper in Europe then they are here - so certainly check out their standmounts. Reference 3a may have a less pricy option - their Dulcet just came out or will soon. Linn of course has a following and ATC, Harbeth, and Spender - the last three are unavailable in my area but people love em.

There are a lot of good products available to you in your price range - there isn't a right or best - indeed, what I think is best another won't so just go listen and pick something you like - then maybe you want to find a bit about it after the fact.

In other words Listen FIRST not to the salesman but the products. Then find a system you really really like. Then write all the componants in the system down and then go look them up - make sure there is no horrendous build quality problems etc - then you're set. Just listen to LOTS of stuff.

Thread Information