Thread: Which Amp ??

AR Newbie Registered Member

Which Amp ??

I just had Paradigm Studio 40 (V3).
    I'm looking for integrated amp and CDP.
    I usually listen classics (concerto, ochestra, sonata etc.) not vocal, rock, jazz

I'm thinking 4 model, similar retail prices;
    Arcam A80, Primare I20, Nad C372, Musical Fidelity X-150

CDP: NAD C542 or Rotel RCD 02

Please tell the best combination Amp + CDP for driving my Paradigm speaker.

Thank you.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Of those I would buy the one that has the features you want most. System synergy is the key - we would be making guesses as to which would work best with those speakers.

You might want to consider the Rotel RA2 and RA 1 and are a bit cheaper than some there.

I would also look to see what your dealer carries used. For instance you could pick up a used Sugden etc that would eat those amps for lunch and you'd probably spend 1/3. Your mileage may vary.

Nad or Rotel

To RGA,

I'm considering NAD or Rotel Combo.
    Which combination is better, NAD C372(or 352)+C542 or Rotel RA1070+RCD991 (used) or Rotel RCD02+RA02 ?
    Thanks,

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I like Musical Fidelity

Quote Originally Posted by kimykwan
    I just had Paradigm Studio 40 (V3).
    I'm looking for integrated amp and CDP.
    I usually listen classics (concerto, ochestra, sonata etc.) not vocal, rock, jazz

I'm thinking 4 model, similar retail prices;
    Arcam A80, Primare I20, Nad C372, Musical Fidelity X-150

CDP: NAD C542 or Rotel RCD 02

Please tell the best combination Amp + CDP for driving my Paradigm speaker.

Thank you.
    Components, both seperate and intergrated. You can usually find a used one for a good price on AudiogoN.com http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1099707031
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

reset...MF A300 or Primare A20(I20)

Meanwhile,

I bought used Primare cd player D20.
    Now looking for good matching amp.
    I'm considering Musical fidelity A300 and Primare A-20(I-20) both about $700-800.
    Both amplifers have very good reputations at that price range.

Could you recommend which one will be better matching with my speaker and cd ?

Many thanks,

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I don't mind MF but it was not my taste with the Studio 100V3. Synergy - not buying recommended componants out of magazines. Primare has been said to be very good in smaller quarters that I tend to trust more than big magazines who have vested interests. The Primare's if they're well designed you would think would have a concept sound of their front end as a unit. If so it would be smart to match them. But it's a lot of If's.

You could also add the Audio Refinment Complete, amps from Vecteur - supposed to be quite nice have not heard them yet), the Sugden A21a which IMO is the best SS integrated amplifier under about $3kUS limited by power output(but should easily drive Paradigm) and is about the only way to get into pure Class Single Ended A. The amp has been around since the late 1960s - the current version has been selling steadily since 1989 - ain't broke don't need fixing. I bought my A48b based off an audition with the Paradigm 100V2 over the MF A300. The difference was the MF new was around $3k cdn whilst the Sugden used was $400.00(but went for $2k new)

But they don't look like much and no remote(which is a good thing usually) and they run very hot like tubes as they follow a similar topology.

If your speaker is ~88db+ which I think they are and the impdance doesn't dip under 3ohms which is also doubtful then it has more than enough power to make you deaf. The Sugden's don;t use frequency limiter crap, nor do they have any caps in the audible path.

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=1933 (Blind listening panels)
    http://www.1388.com/articles/sugden/index.html
    http://www.stereophile.com/thefifthe...th/index1.html

The absolute sound reviewed the Primare versus the Sugden in their AUG/Sept 2003 issue and liked both. The Sugden they felt was sweeter the primare more robust - speaker dependant of course. Both they liked.

final decisions

First, thank you..RGA.
    I'm your fan..

Meanwhile, I changed my mind to buy Dynaudio Contour 1.1.

I heard 'Sonus Faber' is the best matching speaker with Primare amp&cd.
    Maybe the same line from Sumiko audio
    http://www.sumikoaudio.net

I had a chance to listen Dynaudio and Harbeth with Arcam and B&K.
    Finally, I cancelled my order (Paradigm). I bought used Dynaudio Contour 1.1 with stands
    Also, I decided to go Primare A20/D20.
    Interconnect cable ; KIMBER KS1010
    Speaker cable ; Nordost Blue Heaven Rev II
    I'm waiting for speaker cable coming in my hands.

Thank you for all your recommendations.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    The Danes are nice speakers - have not heard that particular one. And Primare is supposed to be very good. Let us know what you think of your set-up when you've played em for a while. I was very impressed with the Audience line as well - each speaker 42 52 and 82 I think are some of the best around at the pricees. I also liked the Contours I have heard.

Thread Information