Forum Regular

Advice on Int. Amp.

I posted this in the general catagory, think it might help to put another here:

Newbie seeking for advice

I am a bit confused by the spec released by the Amp manufacturers, as some list the output power per channel (other just don't say they are rated per channel), some give the watts regardless of the 4/8 ohm impedence...

Integrated specs

Quote Originally Posted by yellowmellow
    I posted this in the general catagory, think it might help to put another here:

Newbie seeking for advice

I am a bit confused by the spec released by the Amp manufacturers, as some list the output power per channel (other just don't say they are rated per channel), some give the watts regardless of the 4/8 ohm impedence...
    There are about a zillion decent integrateds out there, especially if your budget stretches above US$1k, (new; less of course if you will considered used).

Look for a "continuous" rating versus "peak" or "maximum". (In the old days you would like for "RMS per channel, both channels driven"; today, specs are rarely so explicit.) Also, many speakers today or 4 ohms so look for a 4 ohm power rating. In the absence of a 4 ohm rating, it's prudent to assume that driving a low impedance speaker at high volume will frankly damage the amp, or at least cause it to run so hot that its lifetime will be significantly reduced.

what brand did you have in mind?? cuz if yamaha says it is 100watts per channel, that would equalize to 50 denon watts! if you see contineous power output, that means that the output under musical conditions will be alot higher. if you see din, that would be the output under dynamic/musical conditions.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

I would add that if your speakers are not difficult to drive then you should not worry about the watts, but rather worry about the manufacturer. Going with a quality high end manufacturer such as Rotel, Cambrige Audio, Arcam, Music Fidelity, etc, the watts that you do get will be of a great quality. I would say only if you have speaker that are hard to drive, then you should scrutinize the amount of watts you'd get out of the amp.

Depends on your budget

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    what brand did you have in mind?? cuz if yamaha says it is 100watts per channel, that would equalize to 50 denon watts! if you see contineous power output, that means that the output under musical conditions will be alot higher. if you see din, that would be the output under dynamic/musical conditions.
    Also I see you're located in Belgum where I don't know about availability.

Personally if I were buying new, I'd look seriously at couple of the new digital models. Specifically these two ...
    A units that are a bit cheaper but have had some good press are ...

Suspended
    You'll also notice that tube amps will give the same power rating regardless of the impedance tap. A high current amp will double it's power, at least, as the impedance halves, the 4 ohm rating should be twice as much as the 8 ohm power rating. High current yields a much better bass control and drives more difficult speaker loads.

Give us an idea of what other equipment you have and what sound you might like.

I find Arcam is a great performer and value. I'd think you have access to T+A, they sound very good and maybe they aren't as expensive there as in the U.S. T+A sounds better to my ears than Arcam but Arcam has more of an ability to drive a more difficult load. Anything particular you have seen are looking at?

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the replies, very helpful indeed.

Just to recap, my system is a Cambridge 640c CPD or a Project turntable plugging into a Chinese Music Angel EL34 tube amp. Speakers are Dynaudio Audience 42. The amp is owned by my friend, he doesn't need it and so he left it to me for almost a year now, but I think I should buy my own and return it.

I have Cambridge 640A and Audiolab 8000s amp in my mind, maybe I will look at NAD and some higher rank 2nd handed amps too. I heard that the CA 640a might not be powerful enough and may loss some bass. I like jazz / fusion / rock kind of stuff, and I want some powerful bass (but not too much). I had listened to old CA and 8000s (not the same combimation though), I am quite sure I would not like the sound of Japanese amp, so Yamaha etc can be excluded in the list.

Any other brands at the similar price you can think of?

Suspended
    New, Arcam would be more expensive than what you are looking at but if you can find one used in your budget that is the way to go. They match very well with Dynaudio and would be a step up from CA yet keep a similar sound, detailed, fast and punchy. Arcam will keep with the synergy of your existing components.

You could also find a used Adcom pre/power amp combo in your price. This will not be as clean and detailed as the Arcam but will still drive the 42's and give you a heavier or thicker sound.

I'm not sure what they are on the used market but I've also heard good things about Naim's Nat integrated.

Once you get an amp, you might think about a sub to fill in that real low bass unless a step up in the Audience line is on your radar.

Forum Regular
    Thank for the advices.

I haven't decided and am still looking for the 'right' amp. Actually I have narrowed down my choices: Rega Brio or Myryad Z140, which prices are well within my budget.

I tried them in a shop with a pair of PMC bookshelf, as they do not stock Dyn's product. They both sound 'British', and I like them. The Rega seems little brighter, the Myryad is on the warmer side, but not very much difference. They both have phono input so I can upgrade my cheap turntable (with built-in phono) later.

Now I need someone who have experience on the combo of these two with the Dyn 42, so I could avoid getting the 'wrong' gear. I mainly play Jazz and Fusion stuff. Thanks again.

Forum Regular
    I guess the two choices I focused on aren't popular and some may reckon they are little lack of power. So the story continues...

I couldn't find a shop to test them with the Dyns, and I did have worries about their power. I then seriously considered raising the budget for an Arcam Diva, Creek A50, etc. New Audiolab 8000s was back on the list but I don't feel comfortable with where it is made - even I am here in Hong Kong So I was on the quest for next tests...

Until this Saturday, I found a bargain 2nd handed Roksan Kandy L Mk 3 with warranty selling at US $570 on the web. I managed to visit the seller and tried it with his system. It sound just right, and it is so new that I can't resist to take it instantly. My system now sound much clearer and its soundstage widen and deepen so much, plus it is within my original budget

Now I have a new problem... the new amp does not look good on the cabin in my living room... well when I compare with the tubes - tubes are hot but look cool I need to work out the arrangement.

Thanks for everyone here - nice platform nice people

A good speaker manufacturer will be able to assist you in recommending amps. I had to ask for advice on my PSB Image speakers and what would be sufficient to drive them, PSB contacted me and gave some insight that since my speakers had built in powered subs that they only needed enough power to drive the tweeter, which meant that 125W per channel was quite sufficient.

I would see if you can't get the manufacturer to recommend some power or maybe a amp that would fit it well.

Suspended
    YM, congradulations on the new amp. I haven't heard Roksan myself but I have heard only good things about them. From what I understand of them, they should be a good match for Dynaudio.

Sometimes manufactures can be a help with what gear works best with their equipment but I have found that Dynaudio is not a good source. Maybe it is language barrier or some customer service person answered who really didn't know the product yet. When I got my first Krell integrated amp I emailed Dynaudio to see which speakers they thought would work best. They told me any of them which I new was a crazy answer. I'm a Krell fan but Dyn's go all the way up to $100k. I've never been able to get good info from them. You may have better luck if you find a dealer or distributor.

I'd think you would be fine with any of the Audience or Focus series.

Thread Information