2-Channel Amp for Kef Q15.2

Hi all:

I am interested in spending approximately $500-$600 on a power amp to add to the Kef Q15.2 bookshelf speakers running off my Marantz SR5000. I am very unfamiliar with separates (and the differences between power amps in particular) and would appreciate some advice. Specifically, is there any benefit to choosing a monoblock style power amp over a tradition 2-channel amp? How much power do I need? Also, some suggested brands would be appreciated. Thanks!

- Olivertmc

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivertmc
    Hi all:

I am interested in spending approximately $500-$600 on a power amp to add to the Kef Q15.2 bookshelf speakers running off my Marantz SR5000. I am very unfamiliar with separates (and the differences between power amps in particular) and would appreciate some advice. Specifically, is there any benefit to choosing a monoblock style power amp over a tradition 2-channel amp? How much power do I need? Also, some suggested brands would be appreciated. Thanks!

- Olivertmc
    Some specs on your KEFs might be helpful in recommending a power amp. Power handling, sensitivity, impedance, etc.

Here are some links to help you get started:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...ku=PARBHCA100A

http://www.audiolab.com/for_sale/Mor...asp?ItemID=104

http://www.audiolab.com/for_sale/Mor...asp?ItemID=103

You might also try a British amp with your KEFs like something from Rotel or Arcam.

http://www.europe.rotel.com/products/specs/rb03.htm

http://www.europe.rotel.com/products/specs/rb1050.htm

http://www.redtrumpet.com/hardware/i...sid=1013209206

My guess is that you might have trouble finding a pair of monoblocks for $500-600. There are plenty of quality 2 channel amps to choose from and if you're not afraid to try used you might get more for your money. Check out www.audiogon.com.

Those links are great - thanks! The speakers are rated at 8 ohms and 10-100 watts. I guess what I'm starting to realize is that a good power amp providing 50 watts to my speakers will most likely sound better than the Marantz providing the 70 watts. Is this a proper assumption?

Those links are great - thanks! The speakers are rated at 8 ohms and 10-100 watts. I guess what I'm starting to realize is that a good power amp providing 50 watts to my speakers will most likely sound better than the Marantz providing the 70 watts. Is this a proper assumption?
    I agree with your assumption. I tried to buy a 60 wpc Rotel power amp from a store recently, but they wouldn't sell it even though they stopped carrying Rotel. They used it to demo speakers along with their Marantz receivers.

I would still like to know your KEFs sensitivity/efficiency rating. It's measured in dbs and is generally anywhere from the mid 80s to the low 90s. Generally, low efficiency speakers in the 85db or 86db range need more power. Speakers in the 88, 89, and 90 range are usually easier to drive.

Even though your KEFs are rated at 10-100 watts, I wouldn't eliminate 100 to 125 watt amps immediately. Double check me on this but I don't believe amps deliver their max power rating continuosly - a 100 watt amp doesn't deliver 100 watts continuously. Most people on this board who have discussed this issue say that too little power is more likely to cause damage to your speakers than too much power. I agree that a quality 50 wpc amp will perform better than a 70 wpc receiver in almost every instance. But, if you can go higher than 50 wpc considering budget, quality of amp, etc.... Some say you can never have too much power!

Well - I bit the bullet and purchased the last B-Stock Parasound amp from audioadvisor. I spoke with a representative named Matt who helped me choose between the Adcom and the Parasound (both links provided by dean_martin). Matt was very helpful and basically reiterated exactly what dean_martin wrote above regarding amp power v. speaker ratings. The Parasound is 125 watts/ch. Thanks so much for the link - I'll let you know how everything works out.

Well - I bit the bullet and purchased the last B-Stock Parasound amp from audioadvisor. I spoke with a representative named Matt who helped me choose between the Adcom and the Parasound (both links provided by dean_martin). Matt was very helpful and basically reiterated exactly what dean_martin wrote above regarding amp power v. speaker ratings. The Parasound is 125 watts/ch. Thanks so much for the link - I'll let you know how everything works out.
    Congrats! I've had nothing but good experiences with audioadvisor. Even if I had trouble with the product they would take it back and exchange it quickly. They also have a great return policy. I certainly would be interested in an update when you place the amp in your system.

Dean-Martin:

Just wanted to thank you on the recommendation for both Audioadvisor and the Parasound. I received the amp last week and finally found time to hook it up over this past weekend. Needless to say, the difference is astounding. All of a sudden, the bass finally "woke up" in my speakers and vocals sound richer. Thanks again.

Olivertmc

Dean-Martin:

Just wanted to thank you on the recommendation for both Audioadvisor and the Parasound. I received the amp last week and finally found time to hook it up over this past weekend. Needless to say, the difference is astounding. All of a sudden, the bass finally "woke up" in my speakers and vocals sound richer. Thanks again.

Olivertmc
    That's great! I'm glad to hear your experience was positive. If you notice anything over the next couple of weeks that doesn't seem right, just post. When I first went from a receiver to seperates in my stereo system I noticed that my speakers sounded compressed in the high frequencies. I swapped out speaker cables to open up the treble.

Thread Information