Mid-Fi

Need suggestion. HT to AMP

I have been using Denon 5.1 receiver and Klipsch Synergy Speakers (KSF 10.5 main )watching DVDs for years. Now I start to think about adding an Amplifier for listening music. I am a good ebayer with $500 budget. Anyone can give me some advice about what to do? because I have little idea with amps and how much improvement for music I can get with $500. Thanks in advance.

Two Questions.

First, it does have preamp outs, right?

Second, do you want to do all five channels or just the front right/left.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Assuming your receiver has pre-outs (and as markw alluded to, you'd better be sure of this), you've got a ton of options.
    I'd recommend Adcom, Rotel, NAD, and Parasound power amps highly for starters.

If you're not adverse to pushing buttons and selectors, maybe a good integrated from one of the above, or someone like Arcam or PS Audio would be an option as well. This way you can "upgrade" the pre-amp stage as well for your stereo listening.

It's been my experience that a good pre-amp is every bit as important as a good amplifier, and many digital heavy receivers leave room for improvement in this category. Of course, if you use digital cables for all your connections, it's probably not as big of a deal.

I notice a lot more punch and dynamics using my power amps over just my RX-V1400 receivers amp sections for music, and in my large room, the extra power is nice to have. The bass can really benefit here as well, especially at louder volumes.

All this being said, more power is always nice, but don't expect a huge difference in sound quality, more like a small, but not insignicant step...

Mid-Fi

Smile

1. Unfortunately, my receiver (Denon 1601) has no preamp. Only has a sub preamp which I connect to my powered sub JBL PB12.

2. It seems to be better idea to use just 2 front channels for music. I think I can get better sound quality at the same budget than all channels.

I have been thinking about upgrade for a while. I used to plan buying Denon receiver 5700 from Ebay (available at about $800, 5.1 is enough for me). It is the old flagship model and I thought I could get much improvement with both HT and Music. But after reading some articles of audiophiles, I began to realize for music, the best way is using AMP and there is a wider world inside, lots of types of equipment with from cheap to unbelievably high price... I got pretty interested.

Now I increase my budget to $800. There seems to be better solutions for listening music than upgrading to a old flagship 5.1 receiver, right?

Thanks

Bad news and good news.

The bad news is that without preamp outputs you can't run an external power amp. The1601 does have a preamp built in but it doesn't give you the opportunity to run any power amps except those that are built in.

The good news is that the Denon is quite a nice receiver within it's class. It should serve you well until you upgrade to a new receiver, hopefully with preamp outputs. I've got a 2802 myself (but no power amp ).

If you're looking at other receivers as an upgrade, don't overlook closeouts on last year's models. If you can live without the latest feature you can save big time. I scored my 2802 for $395 NIB when 6th Ave was making room for the 2803's. Do I feel I'm missing anything major? NAh.

Oh, always make sure you're buying from an AUTHORIZED dealer for whatever brand you wind up with.
    Last edited by markw; 01-12-2005 at 08:04 AM.

Forum Regular
    I think maybe moving up in speakers to something like a pair of used Paradigm Studio 20s would help in your case more than improving the power. They'll produce an excellent soundstage and imaging, something the Klipsch are not all that great at (I own some KSF 8.5s).

You could go the route of adding an amplifier, but I don't know how much of a difference that will make on speakers like the 10.5s. Don't get me wrong, I think the 10.5s are great speakers and almost bought them (long story, but went to buy the 10.5s for $400/pr at tweeter, but parked in a towing zone, had to pay the guy $100, and ended up buying the 8.5s for $300 since I didn't want to leave without a pair of speakers, back in college), but they are very efficient horn speakers that I don't think would benefit all that much from more/better power. I think the 10.5s are better suited for HT use, not as great for music.

Depending on how your Denon is (what model, 3300?), you could continue to use that and add the Paradigms or another pair of speakers that better projects a soundstage than the Klipsch. Of course, if you don't have a sub, you'll need one with speakers like the Studio 20s.

Thread Information