Forum Regular

*Stupid question warning* Rotel RX-1052 question

I apologize because I know this is a dumb question that I should be able to figure out.

Do I need a separate amp with the Rotel RX-1052? Or is it all I need to input things and power the speakers? I have never had separate preamp/amp/receiver only all in ones So I am new to such high end Hi Fi.

See this thread to know what I want the receiver for: B&W 604 S3 or JM Labs Cobalt 816S for a large open room.

Thanks.

The Rotel RX-1052 is a stereo receiver, meaning it includes a pre-amp, poweramp, tuner and composite video connections. Plug in speakers and your source and you're ready to go. Will this be a dedicated audio system, or do you plan on connecting video? If this is a dedicated audio system, I would suggest instead purchasing an integrated amp (includes a pre-amp and poweramp), or separates.

Forum Regular
    You can always look into the rotel rsx1058 which just came out.Or one of the previous versions rsx1056 or 1057.Would go very well with B&W's if you decide to get them.(posted on your other thread)

It's a stereo receiver with rudimentary video provisions..

You can plug in a pair of speakers and use it's internal tuner for FM sound.

You can add input sources like a CD player and a turntable, which is rare nowadays,

Additionally, you can add a DVD player and route it's composite video output (yellow jack) through the receiver and to the monitor, although this may be of limited usefulness nowadays, what with component and S-Video and being common and with both providing a better picture.

Looks like a fine receiver. Enjoy!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by elapsed
    The Rotel RX-1052 is a stereo receiver, meaning it includes a pre-amp, poweramp, tuner and composite video connections. Plug in speakers and your source and you're ready to go. Will this be a dedicated audio system, or do you plan on connecting video? If this is a dedicated audio system, I would suggest instead purchasing an integrated amp (includes a pre-amp and poweramp), or separates.
    I won't be using it for video, just audio. So what would you suggest for a 2ch all in one thats going to be good enough to power 2 B&W 604's and 2 601's?

Thanks to all others for their replies.

Quote Originally Posted by BhhStudios
    I won't be using it for video, just audio. So what would you suggest for a 2ch all in one thats going to be good enough to power 2 B&W 604's and 2 601's?

Thanks to all others for their replies.
    Looks like you've given this some thought. For an all-in-one solution, I don't think you could do much better. With the quality-level of speakers you're looking at, you could go separates and probably get slightly better sound.

Considering the limited placement options, you may be better off with a more forgiving, laid back sounding speaker. Maybe see how your 601s sound in the room before buying anything else. Set them on top of something in the places the new speakers will go. Might give you more insight into how B&Ws sound in there or what characteristics might be desirable in that room.

If I were starting an audio only 2-channel system from scratch... I'd be very tempted to try some tube gear... Maybe something reasonably affordable from Jolida... A & B speaker switching might be a problem...
    Last edited by royphil345; 07-09-2007 at 03:54 AM.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by royphil345
    Looks like you've given this some thought. For an all-in-one solution, I don't think you could do much better. With the quality-level of speakers you're looking at, you could go separates and probably get slightly better sound.

Considering the limited placement options, you may be better off with a more forgiving, laid back sounding speaker. Maybe see how your 601s sound in the room before buying anything else. Set them on top of something in the places the new speakers will go. Might give you more insight into how B&Ws sound in there or what characteristics might be desirable in that room.

If I were starting an audio only 2-channel system from scratch... I'd be very tempted to try some tube gear... Maybe something reasonably affordable from Jolida... A & B speaker switching might be a problem...
    I already know the basic characteristics of the B&W as I have full 602 surround for HT but I need something with a bit more punch for this large room. I listened to the system the owner has in it now and the room has good acoustics and sounded great with whatever old speakers he has in there now, so I can't see B&W 604's sounding any worse. I am just stuck on a amp wondering if my Arcam Aplha 7R would be enough power. I might go with it at first just to save some cash and spend it on other important new house purchases haha.

Forum Regular
    This isn't what you asked, and it's worth exactly what you're paying for it, but, in my humble opinion, for audio-only applications, the flexibility of a receiver isn't worth the compromise in sound quality. There has been a lot of technical progress in the last few years to mitigate the problem, but the problem still remains that, when you put input control, radio reception, and power amplification in the same chassis, running off the same transformer, you're compromising something, somewhere. If you haven't already done the deal, I'd spend the same money on an integrated amplifier (just the power and the input controls), or even inexpensive separates, and then grab a fifty-buck tuner off EBay, since build quality makes so little difference when it comes to the sound quality of an FM-signal. Again, not what you asked.

Thread Information