Howdee. I'm new here.

Howdee.

I too looked around for an “introduction forum”, being prompted to do so after registering. like the other I didn’t find one.

Please consider this my introduction post. I’ll try to keep it as short as my own reading attention span. (well, maybe a bit longer than that)

I've been into audio literally since I can remember (I’m 41) but never had any money to spend. So I’ve lived for most of my life with various found objects to put between the Acoustic Research AR93’s I acquired in the mid 80’s. I tried to get the best quality I could for little or no money (several Yamaha rigs and a Sherwood come to mind)

For the last seven years or so I had settled into a flea-market-and-wedding-gift system consisting of a Rotel 1070 CD player, NAD 3020 integrated amp powering a pair of mid-eighties Acoustic Research AR 93s (floorstanding baby brothers to the AR 9s) All wired together with $30 ICs and $0.60/ft in-wall speaker cable. (a good friend of mine broke me of my equalizer dependence back in 2001, god bless him).

Well, about a year ago I started tweaking in earnest. I braided a pair of CAT5 speaker cables, I put Vibrapods under my CDP, spiked my speakers and countless other obsessive-compulsive acts---many involving MDF.

I eventually tweaked myself up against a wall.

This was great timing b/c I moved into a better paying position at work (I won’t go into debt for this hobby)

Without knowing I was buying a new system, it started with new speakers --- the new B&W 683 floor standers. I have to admit I bought these in haste. I listened to them –and only them -- for a couple hours in the shop before deciding I’d be happy with them.

I took more time buying an amp to drive them. I spent about a two months taking different units home before making the decision to buy the Shanling A3000. I also in this time upgraded through various ICs eventually to a pair of Siltech New York’s. (I'm still using the Rotel RCD 1070)

Luckily (b/c I didn't always know what I was doing), I love this system. And I love it more and more as the weeks pass.

I’ve learned a lot in the short months since September when I first bought the speakers. I’ve been reading voraciously and continuing to tweak. I’ve gotten into room acoustics. I have made panels and purchased bass traps (ATS acoustics is a wonderful source).

Well, I could go on and on (and on). But I’ll cut it short. Suffice to say I am loving my new relationship with this old interest. (Particularly the Shanling amp. It’s like we got a new pet!)

All the best ---Brett

http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/v...e=&w=704&h=396
    Amp Shanling A3000-> speakers Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grand CD Rotel RCD 991 AE TT: Well Tempered Record Player-> AT OC9MLII -> Jolida JD9. cables from AQ, Siltech, Bogdan, Signal DH Labs, etc...
    Some pictures of it all

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Welcome to AudioReview. Your system looks very nice. It also looks like you could use advice on a turntable.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Welcome to AudioReview. Your system looks very nice. It also looks like you could use advice on a turntable.
    Thanks and indeed.
    I have a TT, but it isn't satisfying enough to keep in the system.
    It's a Pioneer PL-550 direct drive with an Sumiko Oyster cart. that I hook up through the phono stage of the old NAD 2030 integrated. To say it sounds flat and grainy would be generous.
    I actually have hooked up now, but will probably pack it back into the closet soon.
    Someday, I will afford a proper analog rig.
    Amp Shanling A3000-> speakers Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grand CD Rotel RCD 991 AE TT: Well Tempered Record Player-> AT OC9MLII -> Jolida JD9. cables from AQ, Siltech, Bogdan, Signal DH Labs, etc...
    Some pictures of it all

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett A
    Thanks and indeed.
    I have a TT, but it isn't satisfying enough to keep in the system.
    It's a Pioneer PL-550 direct drive with an Sumiko Oyster cart. that I hook up through the phono stage of the old NAD 2030 integrated. To say it sounds flat and grainy would be generous.
    I actually have hooked up now, but will probably pack it back into the closet soon.
    Someday, I will afford a proper analog rig.

I think your cartridge is to blame. Many sites sell the Audio Technica 440ML for $99.00 and going from a conical stylus to the microline would open up a lot more music. Of course there are great cartridges into the multiple thousands of dollars. Making sure the cartridge is mounted properly can also improve the sound.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thread Information